Face to Face with Elder Cook and Co.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Face to Face with Elder Cook and Co.

Post by _consiglieri »

Or Elder Quentin Cooks the Books.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Morley wrote:I haven't read the Saints series, but am looking forward to it. However, given that past is prologue, I expect the same sorts of sins of omission where history is concerned.
You won’t be disappointed...
(And 'no,' church leaders don't get a pass on past sins of omission.) I honestly hope I'm wrong.
You’ll be disappointed...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

They shot themselves in the foot with the sins by omission tactic for members. Now they have to live by that or be seen as hypocrits. And, of course, the vast majority of the new truthful history is full of sins of omission. Any surprise?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

mentalgymnast wrote:Would you disagree and/or take issue with the church's encouragement to...read the SAINTS series... and as a result come closer and become more 'intimate' to the core accounts of early church history using primary source material?

Regards,
MG

Let's see what "Saints" has to say about your point of view...
The narrative in Saints draws on primary and secondary sources. Primary sources contain information about events from those who witnessed them firsthand. Some primary sources, like letters and journals, were written at the time of the events they describe. These contemporaneous sources reflect what people thought, felt, and did in the moment, revealing how the past was interpreted when it was the present. Other primary sources, like autobiographies, were written after the fact. These reminiscent sources reveal what the past came to mean to the writer over time, often making them better than contemporary sources at recognizing the significance of past events. Since they rely on memory, however, reminiscent sources can include inaccuracies and be influenced by the author’s later understandings and beliefs.

Secondary historical sources contain information from people who did not witness the events described firsthand. Such sources include later family histories and academic works. This volume is indebted to many such sources, which proved valuable for the broader contextual and interpretive work they provided.

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... rces-intro
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

I have a question wrote:
Morley wrote:I haven't read the Saints series, but am looking forward to it. However, given that past is prologue, I expect the same sorts of sins of omission where history is concerned.
You won’t be disappointed...
(And 'no,' church leaders don't get a pass on past sins of omission.) I honestly hope I'm wrong.
You’ll be disappointed...

You were right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

He's Elder Mook to me. Incompetent condescending fake pious fraud douchebag. On a good day.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The church "doesn't hide things" from the members?

Kate, you're nuts, girl. The church has spent most of it's time as an institution hiding things from the members. Just how many years did Joseph Fielding Smith hide the 1832 account of the First Vision? Well, Kate, you faker, how many years? Just give me the answer you twit.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The church is guilty of hiding the polygamy of Joseph Smith. No doubt about that. Heck, I didn't even really understand or know about his polygamy until I became an antiMormon. My understanding as a faithful church member was that Joseph Smith was sealed to other women via special temple ordinances which I had supposed were done after his death. I had no idea that Joseph Smith was married to many women during his lifetime. That was my understanding. It was my father's understanding too. That's what was passed down in my LDS family line which goes all the way back to the beginning of the church in Kirtland.

We were all lied to. The church never taught or discussed the polygamy of Joseph Smith in any kind of meaningful context in church sponsored materials.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Late to the party, and just came across this:
Philo Sofee wrote:
MG
And God is the great Scientist. I'd think He even knows a thing or two about the microbe flora and fauna that keep us alive. And those that can kill us.

It's too bad he never ever loved us enough to even once give any kind of revelation of this incredibly important knowledge that could have saved untold of misery to utterly BILLIONS of his children. Yep, that's some lovin daddy we gots ain't it?

But, Professor, don't you remember the scripture wherein the saints are told to avoid cold drinks, and instead to boil water for hot drinks, thus killing ... wait ... hmmm ... OK, please carry on as you were.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."