New RFM Podcast--A Whale of a Tale

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: New RFM Podcast--A Whale of a Tale

Post by _consiglieri »

Stem wrote:
It sounds like you have an idea of what was said in these emails. That he responded is not so funny. What he responded with might be. Did he defend himself? Or did he thank Bill for notifying him? I like to laugh too.

Oh, yes, he totally defended himself and the virtue of Ensign Blair!

He most decidedly did not thank Bill for notifying him.

Like I told Bill last night, this puts Elder Wilson in an awkward position--he just got done telling this story to millions of people in General Conference; of course his position is going to be to justify his doing so, which means vouching for the truth of the story.

But the fact he replied so quickly (and more than once) suggests to me that Elder Wilson may be losing a bit of sleep over the possibility he could be exposed as pulling an "Elder Holland" in General Conference.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

consiglieri wrote:
Stem wrote:
It sounds like you have an idea of what was said in these emails. That he responded is not so funny. What he responded with might be. Did he defend himself? Or did he thank Bill for notifying him? I like to laugh too.

Oh, yes, he totally defended himself and the virtue of Ensign Blair!

He most decidedly did not thank Bill for notifying him.

Like I told Bill last night, this puts Elder Wilson in an awkward position--he just got done telling this story to millions of people in General Conference; of course his position is going to be to justify his doing so, which means vouching for the truth of the story.

But the fact he replied so quickly (and more than once) suggests to me that Elder Wilson may be losing a bit of sleep over the possibility he could be exposed as pulling an "Elder Holland" in General Conference.

lol. Well I got a chuckle out of that much of it. In preparing for your podcast did you reach out to Ensign Blair? Getting his take might be pretty interesting. Elder Holland's damn hell's angels story sucked. The biggest part and the part he never fessed up to was when he told it he claimed to have been in touch with the family already. There was nothing truthful about it. That's gotta be in the realm of Paul Dunn making up playing for the Cardinals at least.

It sucks these guys get away with this stuff, tellign millions of people, trying desperately to justify their usefulness in talking at people all around the world.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I did not reach out to Ensign Blair prior to the podcast, I must confess.

Of course, reaching out to him was made quite difficult by the fact I had no idea how to reach out to him.

:cool:
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Consig,

I'm listening to it right now.

I love your ironic and wholly appropriate choice of opening music, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot.

Hilarious!!!!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

consiglieri wrote:I did not reach out to Ensign Blair prior to the podcast, I must confess.

Of course, reaching out to him was made quite difficult by the fact I had no idea how to reach out to him.

:cool:

Understood. I wouldn't know how to reach him. But, again, I appreciate that you found some experienced voices to share.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

consiglieri wrote:I was actually thinking you were reporting something that really happened at first!

No way! I was sticking to the topic of faith-promoting stories rather than basing it on inconvenient facts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_esodije
_Emeritus

Post by _esodije »

In the spring of 1978, I went to listen to Randy Bachman speak at the Wilkinson Center at BYU. He told a story about giving his terminally ill (with end-stage cancer) grandmother a priesthood blessing, with the miraculous result that she vomited up a mass of tissue and was left cancer-free. I guess it’s fair to wonder if he embellished the story or if the grandmother died shortly afterwards, anyway. (His son Tal evidently wasn’t too impressed by the family lore.) But not all faith-promoting stories are told by GAs.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I enjoyed the podcast. It’s still startles me, a hard bitten cynic, when the factual dishonesty of so-called General Auhtorities is laid bare. The other thing that staggered me, although it maybe shouldn’t, was the treatment of Lynn Packer over his discovery that Paul H. Dunn was lying out of his ass whenever he took to the pulpit. His Uncle, an Apostle, threatened him with the sack were he to disclose what he had discovered. Knowing full well that the sack would mean loss of healthcare and knowing full well that Lynn’s wife was in the middle of cancer treatment. Also knowing full well that what Lynn wanted to disclose was the truth!

Church Leaders like Boyd K Packer are truly awful human beings who have no moral compass whatsoever.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

esodije wrote:In the spring of 1978, I went to listen to Randy Bachman speak at the Wilkinson Center at BYU. He told a story about giving his terminally ill (with end-stage cancer) grandmother a priesthood blessing, with the miraculous result that she vomited up a mass of tissue and was left cancer-free. I guess it’s fair to wonder if he embellished the story or if the grandmother died shortly afterwards, anyway. (His son Tal evidently wasn’t too impressed by the family lore.) But not all faith-promoting stories are told by GAs.

You are correct. It is fairly common for lds church members at all levels to adjust the "truth" of stories until one comes up with a faith-promoting lie. I mean, story. There are some whoppers in my family.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Just wanted to let everybody know I hope to have a part 2 of this episode up this Sunday morning, in which I delineate not only the email exchange between Bill Reel and Elder Larry Y. Wilson of the Quorum of the Seventy, but also some interesting factoids regarding Ensign Blair that were dug up by a percipient member of this very board and PM'd to me.

Said percipient member of this board has almost certainly uncovered the name of the vessel on which Ensign Blair was serving, being the USS Marion County.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... ryID=13701

If this is correct, Elder Wilson's identification of the ship as a "troop transport ship" is in error.

The USS Marion County was a tank transport ship.

I am very much indebted to the member of this board who sent me the results of his/her research!

All the Best!

RFM