Mormon Discussions Disrupts Mormon Apologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Discussions Disrupts Mormon Apologetics

Post by _RockSlider »

Lemmie wrote:Why do we post here?

I post here because I have TBM wife, children and grandchildren and the current state of Mormonism is always available here for me to try and undo the indoctrination I so regret giving my children and seeing repeated yet again in my grandchildren.
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

John stopped posting here not long after I sent the Open Stories Foundation board members at the time (Dan and Natasha) some texts reporting the thread where he doxxed me and called me histrionic (I believe that was all in one thread, I'm not looking at documents now and the written record is better than my memory).

There were legal discussions occurring around the same time period. I'd have to look at document dates to see where his last posts line up with the other documents.

Regardless, creating dated posts here has been the easiest way for me to handle this. I'm hoping historians will be more interested in lining all the dates up and pouring over all the statements than I am. In February of 2013 (not long after "Faith Reconstruction" https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/john-dehlin-and-faith-reconstruction/) I realized that the only way I was going to be okay long term (and short term) was to try to move from a place of terror to one of consistent documentation. That's when I filed the charge. I've been working on documentation since. I'm no longer terrified at all. It's been a very good way for me to handle a difficult situation. I didn't start using this board as my main form of documentation until around the time I was forced to withdraw my charge because John didn't pay his employees enough to establish jurisdiction. Before I was forced to withdraw my charge, my primary form of documentation was through the legal system.

I do not understand why anyone chooses to be an attorney. Not my preference at all.

While John never posted here regularly, he always kept an eye on this board and the happenings here. He is the one who originally told me about this board during the hit piece era.

Of course he was afraid of what the hit piece might say.....
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

And to be honest, John, if you do want to come back and defend yourself (if the current Open Stories Foundation board will allow you)... this board is yours. I don't want to get into a debate or discussion with you because any interaction I have with you is traumatizing to me and I am better off very far away from you. So, you'd have free reign here to say what you want just like you've had on your podcasts and, your conferences, your Facebook groups and all the other venues you control. It would be healthier for me to go silent and focus on other things.

The difference on this board (as you know) is that you wouldn't also be able to ban other posters, not publish the comments you don't like, or resolve all the PR problems you might be having by putting out some audio that has the potential to reach 100,000 people. Well, you'd probably do that, too. Anyway.....

I don't really know what difference posting here would make, though. You've obviously already said plenty. The historians can find your words elsewhere, too.

Note to historians: What I've tried to do is make posts that align date-wise with public statements John is making elsewhere. He stopped coming here, but he kept right on using other venues. (Talk about a dysfunctional conversation...... )
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Rosebud wrote:I do not understand why anyone chooses to be an attorney. Not my preference at all.

I ask myself that every single day.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

rosebud wrote:Note to historians: What I've tried to do is make posts that align date-wise with public statements John is making elsewhere. He stopped coming here, but he kept right on using other venues. (Talk about a dysfunctional conversation...... )
what public statement by Dehlin are you referring to?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

From time to time I muse to myself about other names we might give this board. Sometimes it might be called DCPDB (Daniel C. Peterson Discussion Board) and it would not be far off. For Rosebud it seems to be JDDB (John Dehlin Discussion Board). Hey, whatever works for you, I say.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:From time to time I muse to myself about other names we might give this board. Sometimes it might be called DCPDB (Daniel C. Peterson Discussion Board) and it would not be far off. For Rosebud it seems to be JDDB (John Dehlin Discussion Board). Hey, whatever works for you, I say.

Apparently. Maybe the future historians Rosebud is addressing will be able to give a definitive answer.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:Apparently. Maybe the future historians Rosebud is addressing will be able to give a definitive answer.

Her reference to future historians may be her most revealing admission yet.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Kishkumen wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Apparently. Maybe the future historians Rosebud is addressing will be able to give a definitive answer.

Her reference to future historians may be her most revealing admission yet.

Not that I'm a student of my own posts, but that's another thing I've mentioned repetitively.

Some of us never wanted to make history. I've been shooting for a happy life and contributing to the world in ways that are important to me. Seeing as how I got dragged into the history deal against my will and seeing as how the public narrative being told about me was false, I decided to make sure my voice was recorded somewhere too.

But I've repeated this more than once. I wonder what the historians will have to say about all the repetition. :wink:

Musing: About a decade ago I had no voice and was worried about anything I wrote that would be seen publicly. I'd worry about spelling errors, typos, every bit of content and punctuation. It's been a long journey learning how to thumb away without worrying about all those things all while knowing I'd be immediately criticized and that the record would be read and written about later. It's funny to me, looking back, that I used to be worried about somebody quoting me and using "[sic]." All in all, now that I'm getting to the other side of a lot of my challenges, this has been very good for me. Lots of damage was done, but hey, what can you do?

I'm even leading up a new team endeavor (nothing to do with Mormonism) using all the skills (including being prepared for extreme criticism) that I've learned in the last 10 years. And the way it looks right now, this project has more potential than anything I've ever done before. (And MS rocked under my leadership.) We'll see how the project goes. I hope it works out.

I guess that's the long way of tritely saying that I'm now grateful for some of these trials (I should probably bear my testimony somewhere).

I have a hard time thinking of any reasons (other than those I've mentioned repetitively) to post here the way I have. Why else would anyone do what I've done? Seems pretty cra cra without good incentives. I suppose that's why I've continually repeated them.

Thread about the lawsuit

_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Lemmie wrote:
cwald wrote:So, is John Dehlin invited back to Mormon Discussions now? I mean, is this official? Because I kind of liked those threads years ago before he was asked to not participate here.
Wow, what happened? I thought it was an absolute rule here that no one was disinvited.

Hey...I hope this is not true...I enjoy all voices and our interactions together!! Woops..just saw all those red letters on the previous page...sorry I jumped the gun.