It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Is Carl Sagan "enjoying himself" as a "TK Smoothie"?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 pm 
God

Over at the at the Third Hour discussion board, there is an unbelievable thread about TK Smoothies going on right now.

Wade Englund's comments are priceless. Enjoy:

https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/66820-tk-smoothies/

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Over at the at the Third Hour discussion board, there is an unbelievable thread about TK Smoothies going on right now.

Wade Englund's comments are priceless. Enjoy:

Actually, Everybody Wang Chung, the most interesting thing about your post--to my mind, at least--is the fact that it references "thirdhour.org." This is utterly fascinating. Would you happen to know how long this forum has been in existence? To my embarrassment, this is the first that I've heard of it.

For others who don't realize the significance of this: "Third Hour" is apparently a venture that's funded by the More Good Foundation--the secret "shell company" that (arguably surreptitiously) receives some funding directly from the LDS Church, and which has been a big-time, behind-the-scenes player in Mopologetics. Allen Wyatt, e.g., engaged in "cyber-squatting" activities on behalf of the MGF. (I don't remember the exact details, but my recollection is that some people on RfM were planning to set up a website to support someone who'd run afoul of the Mopologetic crowd and the Church--it may have been Lynne Whitesides--and Wyatt "pounced" and began buying up domain names so that the RfMers would have to pick a strange name for their website.)

But "Third Hour" is interesting because it apparently represents a "splinter sect" of Mopologists who've left the old FAIR mainstay, i.e., the Mormon Dialogue & Discussion forum. I wonder what happened? Did they get tired of juliann, Calmoriah, and Scott Lloyd, who seem to dominate that forum? (If so, I can't say that I blame them.) But what does this tell us about morale and solidarity amongst the Mopologists? The truly interesting thing, to my mind, is the official backing of the More Good Foundation. That really does suggest some tectonic movement in the clandestine power structure of Mopologetics. And what does the FAIR Mormon leadership think of all this? Better to have this atomized, fractured structure, with multiple entities (FAIR, Interpreter, More Good Foundation, Mormon Defense League, the practically moribund SHIELDS, and now Third Hour?) Why doesn't MGF throw its weight behind Mormon Dialogue & Discussion? (Or Interpreter, for that matter?)

In any case, a more minor (but no less interesting) point to be made here is that, on a discussion board hosted by the More Good Foundation, the presumably hardcore LDS posters themselves brought up and are discussing the concept of the "TK Smoothie." Does DCP still want to maintain that he's "never even heard" of this doctrine? I think Dr. Robbers is quite right that Peterson was lying. Either that, or his claims to being an authority on LDS doctrine and history are totally suspect.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Actually, Everybody Wang Chung, the most interesting thing about your post--to my mind, at least--is the fact that it references "thirdhour.org." . . . To my embarrassment, this is the first that I've heard of it.

Likewise for me, too.

Quote:
Allen Wyatt, e.g., engaged in "cyber-squatting" activities on behalf of the MGF. (I don't remember the exact details, but my recollection is that some people on RfM were planning to set up a website to support someone who'd run afoul of the Mopologetic crowd and the Church--it may have been Lynne Whitesides--and Wyatt "pounced" and began buying up domain names so that the RfMers would have to pick a strange name for their website.)

The victim was Grant Palmer, and he had been summoned to a disciplinary council. Folks on RfM were planning on creating a website to show their support (for Palmer) and used a thread to bat around ideas for a domain name. The Slug then bought up all the names before anyone could register them.

And I'm quite sure this took place before the More Good Foundation became a thing.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 pm 
God

Wade Englund wrote:
... logically the ground is far more unsteady for the lay conjecturist than it is for authoritative church leaders,...

I think Wade is right. When it comes to making stuff up, professional conjectioners with tentacled suction pods can grasp unsteady ground and bits of ephemera with much less effort. And with the grand key of apologetic conjecture, the concept of eternal unchanging gender can fit in well with TK Smoothiehood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 pm 
God

Dr. Scratch,

I think I've known about the Third Hour for a couple of years. It's an incredibly boring place.

IIRC, Moksha used to post over there until he was banned. I would love to hear why Moksha was banned.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:42 pm 
Hermit

Moksha,

Wade's point is interesting. He seems to be saying that if the Brethren can't say where the events of the Book of Mormon took place, what are the chances that FARMS would figure it out?

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 am 
Dragon

Just one good peep-stone dammit. Just need one.

Riding on a speeding train;
trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain;
Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world
can change your direction:
One step where events converge
may alter your perception.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:43 pm 
God

The Third Hour discussion board is still going strong about TK Smoothies.

As always, Wade Englund's comments are priceless. I just wish he would bring up his "key analogy" and apply it to the TK Smoothie.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm 
God

Dr. Scratch,

I thought you might be interested to know that your information regarding the TK Smoothie is having a positive effect among the youth of the Church.

One inactive young man was so shocked to learn about the TK Smoothie that he was scared straight and decided to return to Church.

I imagine he will serve a mission, go to BYU and get married in the temple, all thanks to the possibility of losing his male genitalia.

I wouldn’t be surprised if seminary teachers all over the world start using Dr. Scratch’s research to scare the youth into staying active.

Regardless, this young man owes a huge debt of gratitude to Dr. Scratch.

Quote:
”Just realized I'm on track to get a TKsmoothie, NEW PLAN: go back to church, catch up on 3 years of tithing, beg the Bishop for a calling, reading next Sundays HP lesson in advance, (bring note card with thoughtful comments), going home teaching tonight. I don't want to loose the beans and frank, thank god its not too late, thanks for the info Joseph Fielding Smith.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... oing_back/

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16