Church confesses Home/Visit teaching insincere & uninspired?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Church confesses Home/Visit teaching insincere & uninspired?

Post by _lostindc »

Based on the Church's chart linked below, the Lord's servants conducted an insincere program focused on "Check it Off" when conducting home or visiting teaching.

To me, the "new way" seems to be more of the same except for a bit of flexibility in visit frequency and message. I am surprised how easily all the years of home and visiting teaching is dismissed in this chart as insincere and inefficient.

I am having trouble embedding a pdf as an image, if anyone can help.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/magazines/ensign/2018/12/dec-2018-ensign-magazine-mormon_2105939.pdf
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Church confesses Home/Visit teaching insincere & uninspi

Post by _MsJack »

"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's still completely insincere. The ONLY time my home teachers showed up was at the end of the month and gave me a token "Is there anything we can do for you" comment. Other than that they didn't give a flying flip about me. Anytime I saw them out and about in town, all they would say is we're gonna make it earlier to your place this month! Or something inane like it. Did they want to get to know us? Nope. Did it matter to them any of our successes or failures or adventures? Nope. But home teaching was the Lord's work, and celestial glory the carrot on the stick, and so they did it for years.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

The twin pillars of Home Teaching and visiting Teaching have now joined the long list of programs/beliefs/doctrine that has been thrown under the bus. As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Shortly before her death, my 94 year old ultra TBM mother commented that the church she grew up in and loved no longer exists.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sunstoned wrote: As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Of course not. That is if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing. And for the right reasons.

I would like to think that I have impacted people's lives for the better as they have mine during the run of the old HT'ing program. I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated, which is what you seem to be doing.

Regards,
MG
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Mentalgymnast
I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated,

Yes, it was so impactful, its value incalculable, that the church did away with it in its old valuable form. :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

mentalgymnast wrote:
sunstoned wrote: As a TBM I was force fed the importance of home teaching and spent countless hours do it. All of that means nothing now?

Of course not. That is if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing. And for the right reasons.

I would like to think that I have impacted people's lives for the better as they have mine during the run of the old HT'ing program. I don't think the impact of HT'ing should be underestimated, which is what you seem to be doing.

Regards,
MG

So why is the program no longer valuable?
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sunstoned wrote:
So why is the program no longer valuable?

Because it's been discontinued. :wink: If it was still in operation, it would be the ways/means by which members minister to one another. I'm simply saying that during the run of the HT'ing program there was a lot of good that was done.

The ministering program will allow for the same, but it will be less 'letter of the law' and more 'spirit of the law'. The law being to love and care for each other the way Christ taught us to do. There isn't the pressure to continually return and report each month.

Kind of cool, really. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

sunstoned wrote:
Shortly before her death, my 94 year old ultra TBM mother commented that the church she grew up in and loved no longer exists.

That is so sad, sunstoned.

:cry:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

“Home/Visiting teaching was the jewellery box, ministering is the pearl inside the jewellery box”

Do we have a facepalm emojicon?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')