New Preach My Gospel Manual, still hiding the truth.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

New Preach My Gospel Manual, still hiding the truth.

Post by _I have a question »

An updated Preach My Gospel manual has been released.

It mentions there are four first vision accounts and directs readers to the Gospel Topics essay.
We have four different accounts of what followed, recorded by him or scribes under his direction (see Gospel Topics essay, “First Vision Accounts”). In one account, he described his experience:

“I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. … When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” (Joseph Smith—History 1:16–17).

https://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-go ... t?lang=eng

But when it comes to how the Book of Mormon was translated.
Joseph Smith was directed by a heavenly messenger named Moroni to a hill where golden plates had lain hidden for centuries. These golden plates contained the writings of prophets giving an account of God’s dealings with some of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas. Joseph Smith translated the contents of these plates by the power of God.

No mention of the ‘how’, no reference to a Gospel Topics essay.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: New Preach My Gospel Manual, still hiding the truth.

Post by _Meadowchik »

And then, that's what the missionaries will pass on, incomplete information.

My husband converted in 1990 France, his very best friend was a member. But he was adamant, it was very important for him to know that Joseph Smith did not practice polygamy. The missionaries were specific: polygamy only started with Brigham Young. And at that time, it would have been very difficult for a person who didn't speak English to verify or contradict that claim. At least in that sense, times are different now. In fact, he's started a website, in French, with uncomfortable facts about the church and links.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

They have to continue to whitewash otherwise no one would ever join. I don't think seer stones will ever be the lead and will always be in the deep background. My guess is that knowledge of a seer stone and its prominent use in the Book of Mormon translation would be a deal killer for potential converts. I know it would for me.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I gather that the manual does not tell the whole story of the translation. But does any body on earth actually know the full story? I thought there was a good likely hood the stone in the hat routine was an occasional show to make the process look more inspired and amazing. Reaction to the show may be less positive these days than in 1830. Still that might be a matter of taste.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:I gather that the manual does not tell the whole story of the translation. But does any body on earth actually know the full story? I thought there was a good likely hood the stone in the hat routine was an occasional show to make the process look more inspired and amazing. Reaction to the show may be less positive these days than in 1830. Still that might be a matter of taste.

There was no consistent translation method. Not for the Book of Mormon or the Book of Abraham. The only consistent element in the production of the texts would be the involvement of Joseph Smith. Why do you suppose that is? :biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

The Church will ALWAYS hide the truth, because the truth is damning to the foundational claims of Mormonism.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

GameOver wrote:The Church will ALWAYS hide the truth, because the truth is damning to the foundational claims of Mormonism.
I agree...and yet I find myself holding my breath sometimes in a hope that just once..ONCE! something would be consented to and with remorse and admittance of a fact..something that would tell me that ....heya...we didn't make this up!
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

candygal wrote:I agree...and yet I find myself holding my breath sometimes in a hope that just once..ONCE! something would be consented to and with remorse and admittance of a fact..something that would tell me that ....heya...we didn't make this up!

They've been saying "we didn't make this up" ever since 1830.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley