Dan McCllelan

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Dan McCllelan

Post by _I have a question »

How is someone that truly believes in what Mormonism claims, actually fit for public office?

Would you vote for some one that believed in VooDoo? Or Scientology? If not, why not?

Imagine a Mormon politician talking about improving the health service...
“So tell me Dan, you believe the sick can be cured by consecrated oil and the Priesthood, will you be rolling that out instead of Medicare? If not, why not?”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

I have a question wrote:How is someone that truly believes in what Mormonism claims, actually fit for public office?

Would you vote for some one that believed in VooDoo? Or Scientology? If not, why not?

“So tell me Dan, you believe the sick can be cured by consecrated oil and the Priesthood, will you be rolling that out instead of Medicare? If not, why not?”

I tend to distinguish between the person and the system, and while the system has inherent tendencies, each individual adapts to the system in some way. I can see a Mormon committed themselves to upholding the Constitution and entrusting the rule of law in the public sphere. There are some who adapt more than others in favor of those principles. And whatever the personal belief of a given politician, I would look at their specific commitment to those principles.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Meadowchik wrote:
I have a question wrote:How is someone that truly believes in what Mormonism claims, actually fit for public office?

I tend to distinguish between the person and the system, and while the system has inherent tendencies, each individual adapts to the system in some way. I can see a Mormon committed themselves to upholding the Constitution and entrusting the rule of law in the public sphere. There are some who adapt more than others in favor of those principles. And whatever the personal belief of a given politician, I would look at their specific commitment to those principles.

How do you know and what happens if you get a Gordon Smith type politician that says behind closed doors that he uses his politics to advance the position of the church?
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Sanctorian wrote:How do you know and what happens if you get a Gordon Smith type politician that says behind closed doors that he uses his politics to advance the position of the church?

Same way you know if anyone else is beholden to dogma/ideologies behind closed doors.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:Imagine a Mormon politician talking about improving the health service...

I think the answer can be found in the old saying, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition". Pragmatism wins out. For some Mormons it can be the greedy pragmatism of Ayn Rand, for others, it can be handing out sandwiches and soft drinks in lieu of replicating loaves of bread and baskets of fish. Dan sounds more like a sandwich and soft drink guy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Huh! Quite interesting! I wish him luck. I admit that I didn’t always understand his perspective:

maklelan wrote:You of all people should be a little quicker than this to spit Scratch's dick out of your mouth.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... 85#p816285

Even so, I suspect that he’s likely the better candidate.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hello Scratch! :smile:

maklelan wrote:You of all people should be a little quicker than this to spit Scratch's dick out of your mouth.

Ha!

Looks like Mak will do just fine in politics!
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Ceeboo wrote:Hello Scratch! :smile:

Ha!

Looks like Mak will do just fine in politics!

With comments like that I just hope he doesn't become the next Anthony Weiner.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014