Further Light & Knowledge

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Further Light & Knowledge

Post by _I have a question »

This is just a musing of mine.

Mormons/Mormonism declare a desire to obtain further light and knowledge. But it seems to me that’s misleading. What they appear to want is restricted to further confirmation or support for what they already want to believe is true. Increased light and knowledge that undermines, refutes, disproves, or reduces plausibility of what they already want to believe is true, is to be rejected out of hand and never accepted.

They don’t want to learn, they simply want to reinforce.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Further Light & Knowledge

Post by _Meadowchik »

"Further light and knowledge" is on indefinite delay in Mormonism. You get to believe you'll get it when you die.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Re: Further Light & Knowledge

Post by _Johannes »

As an educated guess, I'd say that the term was taken from Freemasonry, which extensively uses the symbolism of "light" and speaks of increasing the initiate's knowledge.