Hinckley fired BYU Prof. Scott Woodward over DNA

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Hinckley fired BYU Prof. Scott Woodward over DNA

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:
Physics Guy wrote:According to Wikipedia, Woodward left BYU in 2003, having been on faculty since 1989. Doesn't BYU offer tenure? How could a professor who had been there for 14 years get fired?

BYU does not offer tenure.

That explains a lot. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

And this is the guy doing all the Joseph Smith DNA testing for possible children? How in the world can his work or motivation be trusted?
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

grindael wrote:And this is the guy doing all the Joseph Smith DNA testing for possible children? How in the world can his work or motivation be trusted?

It can't. He's basically a credentialed Will Schryver.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

RockSlider wrote:Yes but they do have the 'Honor Code' ... wow honor, much like love in a 'Court of Love'

The Honor Code is a misnomer. It is actually a formalized mechanism for punishment. The idea of an Honor Code was lifted from the United States Military Academy at Westpoint and applied as camouflage for this kangaroo court system of punishment.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

What I don’t get is the mentality of the Brethren. I understand excommunicating apostates. But faithful members whose research fails to support the party line? What is it that they are thinking?

If the researcher falsifies findings to be faith promoting then that just signals debunkers to move in for the kill. Providing the truth gives the Brethren a chance to get ahead of the game and spin.

This is extreme dictatorship mentality operating or better, cartoon leadership that we’d expect from Lex Luther or maybe Darth Vader, but I think Vader may have wanted to know the truth. Or maybe great, get the truth but then kill the messenger anyway just because you can.

I have to believe the Brethren know the Church is a scam, but stories like this are consistent with a belief that it is true.

Another possibly is they lash out because they didn’t want to go there I. The first place. But it’s still better to get out there and figure it yourself then allow an outsider to get to it eventually.

So yeah, I really don’t get it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Gadianton wrote:What I don’t get is the mentality of the Brethren. I understand excommunicating apostates. But faithful members whose research fails to support the party line? What is it that they are thinking?

Just to be clear, he wasn't excommunicated, it was worse. He was kicked out of BYU and lost the prestige of being a BYU professor.

I heard that when he bore his closing testimony when he was released as bishop due to his departure from BYU (the hits keep coming), he talked about it in the context of sacrificing for the greater good.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Gadianton wrote:What I don’t get is the mentality of the Brethren. I understand excommunicating apostates. But faithful members whose research fails to support the party line? What is it that they are thinking?

If the researcher falsifies findings to be faith promoting then that just signals debunkers to move in for the kill. Providing the truth gives the Brethren a chance to get ahead of the game and spin.

This is extreme dictatorship mentality operating or better, cartoon leadership that we’d expect from Lex Luther or maybe Darth Vader, but I think Vader may have wanted to know the truth. Or maybe great, get the truth but then kill the messenger anyway just because you can.

I have to believe the Brethren know the Church is a scam, but stories like this are consistent with a belief that it is true.

Another possibly is they lash out because they didn’t want to go there I. The first place. But it’s still better to get out there and figure it yourself then allow an outsider to get to it eventually.

So yeah, I really don’t get it.

They just don't care Gad...I have a nephew who is borderline re-tard-ed...he was fired by BYU after 14 years in the landscape department. He has no life skills what so ever, and they just dumped him becasue he was a crappy gardener.

The poor kid went on a mission, served his 2 years, came home with gray hair becasue of the stress, was teased his whole life growing up in the church for being slow, then they basically kicked him to the streets.

I get BYU firing a professor, and a very slow minded gardener are two different things...but in the end it just shows they are just heartless pricks.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

BYU is going on 15 years of censure by the american association of university professors (AAUP) for lack of academic freedom. They haven't tried to correct this is any way. They just do not care.