Male LDS Primary Teacher has sleepover with 8 year old girls

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Male LDS Primary Teacher has sleepover with 8 year old girls

Post by _I have a question »

http://kutv.com/news/local/cultural-mis ... -sex-abuse

“In the Micronesian community people will have large sleepovers and people are more likely to sort of interact in that family way that may seem odd to Americans and western culture. It’s very much accepted in the Micronesian culture to have a large sleepover,” Simms said.

Simms added with emphasis that Sund has no criminal history and was never alone with the 8-year-old girl accusing him of the abuse.

“Not alone, not alone there were people everywhere in that bedroom," Simms said. "Everybody is in a sleepover, everybody’s there; (she was) mistaken that she was sexually touched. That’s it.”

West Jordan Police said because of Sund's position of trust that the fear is there could be more victims.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Male LDS Primary Teacher has sleepover with 8 year old g

Post by _moksha »

Apparently, Sund served a mission to Micronesia where he became enchanted with new customs like apologetic bukake and transforming himself into a Brony for an evening of pony rides.

"Nothing wrong with that Your Honor. When in West Jordan, you've got to heed the call of the wild."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I just hope there is not a long trail of children involved with this person. For me, and maybe other women here..it seems in the late 50's and early 60's when I was in primary...there were no male primary teachers. None. Getting off the school bus and going to primary on Wednesdays was just the safest place to be. In many ways it is hard to comprehend the evil dispersed in different levels...accountability should come by the same divine that is taught..a bishop and leader should know by prayer..all this falls away in trust of not just teachers but an entire church that relies on the so called discernment. I am forever grateful that an adult parent believes a child.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

If he is guilty of molesting kids - the Millstone around the neck and depths of the sea is a good way to go.

Too often the courts are way too lenient with child molesters.

Brought to the fore again when I watched the movie PATERNO three times over the past week. It came out - and court information and law enforcement records show - the Coach knew of the molesting as early as 1976. He protected his fellow coach and left the kids to be molested for another 30 or so years. When McQuery, the Big red head football coach saw Sandusky raping a kid in the shower - he went home, told his dad and then told Coach Paterno the next day. Paterno did not call University personnel because he "did not want to ruin their weekend"

LDS and others are a lot like the McQuery jackass. Keep quiet - don't step in and beat hell out of the guy when he sees what is happening. Don't step in and pull the kid away from the molestor. People like this are crap - they allow molestation to continue. LDS or Penn State Coaches - they are guilty as hell.

IF this Primary teacher is guilty - death penalty would be an easy call.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Do not even get me started on how sorely lacking in judgement this 45 year old so-called man was. Now, riddle me this. What parent in their right mind allows their child to participate in a sleep over with a 45 year old man?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Jersey Girl wrote:Do not even get me started on how sorely lacking in judgement this 45 year old so-called man was. Now, riddle me this. What parent in their right mind allows their child to participate in a sleep over with a 45 year old man?

Those parents really have some trust issues (too much). Is this jacka$$ single? If so, wtf parents? Did this guy call his house neverland and give jesus juice to the kiddies?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

One of the nastiest cases I was involved with was a youth pastor who molested teen age boys during group sleep overs.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Jersey Girl wrote:Do not even get me started on how sorely lacking in judgement this 45 year old so-called man was. Now, riddle me this. What parent in their right mind allows their child to participate in a sleep over with a 45 year old man?

A relative of his was posting over on reddit. These sleepovers had nothing to do with the Church, and the victim wasn't in his class (or ward).
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

cinepro wrote:

A relative of his was posting over on reddit. These sleepovers had nothing to do with the Church, and the victim wasn't in his class (or ward).

And...what difference does that make?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Jersey Girl wrote:And...what difference does that make?

When the statement is made that an LDS Primary teacher had a sleepover with and abused an 8-year-old girl, it is logical to assume his role as a teacher had something to do with the abuse (and that the abused was a student), and that the Church and parents were somehow negligent.

I was just clarifying the situation for those who may have made an incorrect assumption.