Church growth site took down activity examination

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Church growth site took down activity examination

Post by _Stem »

https://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/

Yesterday I spotted a list of all countries and their purported rate of Church activity. That was awesome to have. Now it's gone. I suppose they had to take it down as per the Church's order. Last month they put up a table listing all countries, the number of members in each country and the percent LDS of that country.

If we had a chance before it was taken down, we'd see how many active LDS there are in the world, compared to total membership. Have a better feel for how many members, who consider themselves so affiliated with the church, each country has. That would've been nice. Maybe something a little more reliable then other estimates. Then again, I don't know what methods they used to determine activity rates for each country.

I remember seeing Chile's activity rate was listed as 12%. There are 590,124 members in Chile. that's around 70,000 active.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: Church growth site took down activity examination

Post by _Xenophon »

I would recommend starting with The Wayback Machine and seeing if the data you want got caught up in archiving.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Xenophon wrote:I would recommend starting with The Wayback Machine and seeing if the data you want got caught up in archiving.

Thanks. Doesn't look like internet archive archived it.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

If anyone was as concerned as me, I found the article:

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/201 ... ember.html

This was from 2011. I don't know if activity rates have changed since then.
Member activity rates for the following nations were ascertained by missionary reports, seminary and institute enrollment numbers, and the ratio of members per congregation.

Oops on my part. For some reason I thought I saw a new one yesterday.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Why wrestle with church growth statistics...didn't anyone teach you that the stone is rolling forth filling the earth?
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

If the church didn't have a history of massaging their membership statistics and just gave a true realistic number of who attends, or if Elder Dodo didn't take liberties with how many stakes get created during a given time period, or Elder Crook didn't overtly misrepresent growth in conference, it wouldn't be an issue. The misrepresentation/over-salesmanship of the numbers is what really bothers me and I'm sure others. The leadership really needs to pivot to something other than an appeal to popularity. It just ain't that popular and outside of Utah, people think we are strange or still practice polygamy. Every time I go to L.A. for a U of U football game or go out on the Las Vegas Strip with friends who are in town on vacation, I get questioned on how many wives I have or something similar. I always count on my hand because sometimes I forget whether it is 6 or 7 .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen