Did Pres. McKay Try to Rescind Ban in the 1955?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Did Pres. McKay Try to Rescind Ban in the 1955?

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Interesting video on Gospel Tangents where Dr Harris talks about President McKay asked Lowell Bennion to do some research on the matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56oINIiTw5s&t=722s

Some years ago I had a couple of letters from Bennion where is stated his objections through various scriptures. Joseph Fielding Smith tried to get Bennion disciplined but President McKay said leave him alone.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Did Pres. McKay Try to Rescind Ban in the 1955?

Post by _moksha »

Lowell Bennion was still let go from being the Director of the LDS Institute of Religion at the University of Utah due to telling his students that the racial ban was wrong. Bennion did not have enough allied power to prevent the blitzkrieg of the Fielding Smith-McConkie-Benson Axis.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I wonder how many people were praying for the priesthood ban to be rescinded back in the 1970’s? I vaguely recall being told by a teacher back then that such prayers were ‘disrespectful, but Pres. Kimball was praying for it
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

deacon blues wrote:I wonder how many people were praying for the priesthood ban to be rescinded back in the 1970’s? I vaguely recall being told by a teacher back then that such prayers were ‘disrespectful, but Pres. Kimball was praying for it

And Kimball was reading Lester Bush's article in Dialogue the the issue.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

Greg Prince wrote a biography on Pres. McKay. I don't think it was called a faith promoting book by the brethren. I'm sure there are parts that talk about the subject you are interested in. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that Mormon Stories has some interviews with Prince that talk about the issue.
I want to fly!