It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Puerto Rico Mission President ex’d for sexual misconduct
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:38 pm 
God

Madison54 wrote:
Tom wrote:
April 21, 2014:

"President Smartt will be coming to Tortola this weekend for our interviews. I'm excited for my interview because I have a lot of doctrinal questions to ask him and he's gonna have me cut his hair, too. He says he's been waiting since the last time I cut it because my cuts are the best."

And once again....creepy.

If I had a daughter on a mission and she told me this, I'd be like: "The mission president is asking you to do what? Why????"

It's called grooming.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:39 pm 
God

Considering Mr. Smartt's recent run-ins with the law (larceny) it makes me wonder how he was paying for that plane, and how he was using the mission's budget for his lifestyle in PR.

Man. So many questions.

- Doc

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:44 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Considering Mr. Smartt's recent run-ins with the law (larceny) it makes me wonder how he was paying for that plane, and how he was using the mission's budget for his lifestyle in PR.

Man. So many questions.

- Doc
Yeah...you brought up some ones too.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:49 pm 
Apostle

I missed this detail: at one point she was staying at the mission home (without a companion) when she wasn’t traveling around to visit various sister missionaries.

http://marissaslifeinpuertorico.blogspo ... 4.html?m=1

“I'm at the Mission Home right now. I spent the night here, and I"ll be going out to Ponce this evening to work with HERMANA G. and give her companion a break. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll go where the Lord needs me to go. She doesn't know I'm coming yet, but when she finds out, I know she'll be really happy. She calls me often and when she heard about my new calling, she said she couldn't wait for me to come down there. (Little does she know, though, that a visit from me isn't necessarily a good thing...) But I'm excited! It'll be a fun experience. And on Thursday, if all goes as planned, I'll be back in Fajardo with Hermana D. for a day.

But back to the here and now, I'm pretty much living here when I don't have anywhere to go. I'd been lugging all my junk around this past week, and it's nice because I get to leave it all here. I have my own room and bathroom! It's like I'm back home!! I found a dead lizard in my closet, even. :)”

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:59 pm 
God

Tom wrote:
I missed this detail: at one point she was staying at the mission home (without a companion) when she wasn’t traveling around to visit various sister missionaries.

http://marissaslifeinpuertorico.blogspo ... 4.html?m=1

“I'm at the Mission Home right now. I spent the night here, and I"ll be going out to Ponce this evening to work with HERMANA G. and give her companion a break. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll go where the Lord needs me to go. She doesn't know I'm coming yet, but when she finds out, I know she'll be really happy. She calls me often and when she heard about my new calling, she said she couldn't wait for me to come down there. (Little does she know, though, that a visit from me isn't necessarily a good thing...) But I'm excited! It'll be a fun experience. And on Thursday, if all goes as planned, I'll be back in Fajardo with Hermana D. for a day.

But back to the here and now, I'm pretty much living here when I don't have anywhere to go. I'd been lugging all my junk around this past week, and it's nice because I get to leave it all here. I have my own room and bathroom! It's like I'm back home!! I found a dead lizard in my closet, even. :)”

What the heck? :eek:

Why is she staying there without a companion? And, she has her own room and bathroom? Where was the President when she was staying there? But, more importantly, was he wife around?

I'd read that she was back in the U.S. a lot before they were sent home for good. I read that on missionary blogs who wrote she was in the U.S. seeing doctors for her health.

Consig....
Do you know if when Pres. Smartt abruptly transferred her companion (and she thought it was odd), did that leave her alone without a companion?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm 
Apostle

More odd details from the same letter:

“How many ‘Sister Missionary Trainers’ are there in the mission? There are 5: two live in Rincon, and the other two live in Old San Juan, and me, obviously. I could have ‘lived’ in either house (technically, just left my stuff there), or come here, and I decided (obviously) to come here. I feel like I'm at home! Kinda. Just without you guys. Last night was like my first real Sunday I've had in almost a year, where you just sit at home and don't really do anything. I felt super uncomfortable, like I was neglecting some important task. :) And this morning, at breakfast time, I felt awkward too, cuz none of the food that's here is what I bought, and I felt like I was stealing. :) But whatever. I'm over it. Last night for dinner, we had grilled chicken, and it made me think of Dad's Korean chicken. Good stuff.

Well anyway, I hope I answered all your questions sufficiently. I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do here all day, I'm by myself in a huge house, and I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. NORMAL LIFE IS SO BORING. Hahahaa.”

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:05 pm 
God

This is going to be more than interesting...in all it's weird details. Can't wait for Consig to get on the trail.

In the posts above...it sounds more like a "kept" woman.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:10 am 
God

The question I have is did Smartt’s wife move out of the mission home to go back to the states for tests, before or after he moved the Sister Missionary in?

I’d like to know if his wife was actually ill, and what was the date of his Church Court and excommunication.

A Mission President using a private jet putting fuel costs onto his mission expenses didn’t ring any alarm bells with the senior management of the missionary programme.

The guy was suspected of extra marital affairs whilst a Stake President but was still called by God to serve as a Mission President.

The Church protected this guys image (even keeping his profile up on LDS.org) and agreed a cover story blaming his wife’s illness.

This stinks.
I hope Consiglieri gets to the bottom of it, because it sounds like there’s quite a bit more.

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 am 
God

I know the Smartts divorced. Did Sister Smartt make a full recovery?

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 am 
God

Tom wrote:
More odd details from the same letter:

“How many ‘Sister Missionary Trainers’ are there in the mission? There are 5: two live in Rincon, and the other two live in Old San Juan, and me, obviously. I could have ‘lived’ in either house (technically, just left my stuff there), or come here, and I decided (obviously) to come here. I feel like I'm at home! Kinda. Just without you guys. Last night was like my first real Sunday I've had in almost a year, where you just sit at home and don't really do anything. I felt super uncomfortable, like I was neglecting some important task. :) And this morning, at breakfast time, I felt awkward too, cuz none of the food that's here is what I bought, and I felt like I was stealing. :) But whatever. I'm over it. Last night for dinner, we had grilled chicken, and it made me think of Dad's Korean chicken. Good stuff.

Well anyway, I hope I answered all your questions sufficiently. I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do here all day, I'm by myself in a huge house, and I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. NORMAL LIFE IS SO BORING. Hahahaa.”

So she writes this for her parents (and others) to see and no one asks questions? Why would her parents read this and think this is ok?

I like all of IHAQ's questions....

I also wonder which sister missionary it was who finally called Salt Lake City?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I know the Smartts divorced. Did Sister Smartt make a full recovery?

- Doc

I've read that some question if she ever was really diagnosed with MS, but she was apparently having health issues that brought her back to the states for tests towards the end. (Unless that was a cover for her leaving earlier because of what he was doing? That's possible too, I guess.) I guess she thought it may be MS. I haven't read any updates or if she was ever actually diagnosed, but she most likely was (or the leaders just went with what she was suspecting and used it as an excuse to release him). The leaders were so dishonest about this whole thing that they could have lied about any of it, IMO.

It would be interesting to have an update on her. This has to got have been rough on her and their young daughters.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:14 am 
Son of Perdition

Madison54 wrote:
It would be interesting to have an update on her. This has to got have been rough on her and their young daughters.

Check out Maggie Smartt on Facebook. Strange there isn't any correlation that I can see with her mom. Maggie is a pretty girl and is not dressed for garments. I wonder if she left the church.

Be sure to check back for changes, updates, and additions

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:02 am 
God

This is interesting to read through and several who knew Smartt post info about him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... g_mission/

I've read a few threads over there where those who know him and the family have posted. Sounds like Smart's father (with the same name, but the Sr.), was a real tool too. Apparently he also thought he was on track to become a GA, but that's probably off the table now.

Heather Smartt sounds like she was genuinely a wonderful person and "Lanny" (which is what he went by) has put her through hell.

Also, members of his ward and stake knew he was having affairs but no one would listen to them about it.

Apparently he slept with at least one new convert while serving as a mission president as well as fooling around with sister missionaries. Most seem to think he was a true believer, who was into the really extreme doctrines and became convinced he should live polygamy and tried to live it with the sister missionaries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6