Nelson's housewarming gift

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: Nelson's housewarming gift

Post by _Xenophon »

I was hoping against all odds that it was at least one of the standard pictures of Jesus available through Deseret... but no... it just had to be a picture of themselves. Oh boy :rolleyes:. Who knows, maybe she really appreciated the special visit and the gift but man do the optics on that look silly.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

“Hello sister poor person who I’m visiting with my camera crew. I’d like to give you a present.”
“Is it food for my family? Because we don’t have much as I can’t afford it.”
“No, it’s not me giving you money. In fact, to end your poverty you need to give me...ahem...the Church, ten percent of everything you do get so as to end your cycle of poverty.”
“How does giving money away result in me having more money for food?”
“Don’t speak ill of the Lords anointed. Anyway, I have a picture of an important person for you.”
“Of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?”
“No. Me. Now smile for the camera and hand over your cash...”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Xenophon wrote:I was hoping against all odds that it was at least one of the standard pictures of Jesus available through Deseret... but no... it just had to be a picture of themselves. Oh boy :rolleyes:. Who knows, maybe she really appreciated the special visit and the gift but man do the optics on that look silly.
Seriously, the woman probably knew they were filming..but did she really know the gift? How disappointing..and what could she say...me thinks her tears of joy must have been really..a let down. Can't they do better than this..? I mean, really..I would rather have a picture of the Savior.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

To be fair, a picture of Nordic Jesus might not have gone over better.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

candygal wrote:Seriously, the woman probably knew they were filming..but did she really know the gift? How disappointing..and what could she say...me thinks her tears of joy must have been really..a let down. Can't they do better than this..? I mean, really..I would rather have a picture of the Savior.
This is the kind of move that even bothered me as a member. It just reads as ridiculously tone deaf.

Doctor Steuss wrote:To be fair, a picture of Nordic Jesus might not have gone over better.
Touché, salesman.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Post by _oliblish »

Doctor Steuss wrote:To be fair, a picture of Nordic Jesus might not have gone over better.

This is the actual gift:

_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I found a copy of the house warming gift that the First Presidency presented to this Single Mother

Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Craig Paxton wrote:I found a copy of the house warming gift that the First Presidency presented to this Single Mother

https://i.redd.it/ealrvjyy3ua01.jpg

Brilliant.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I have a question wrote: Brilliant.

I finally figured out how to post the pic
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

people are leaning over to the person next to them, "Did you know this church was going to be this boring?"
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.