Elder Renlund Opens Can of General Conference Worms

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Renlund Opens Can of General Conference Worms

Post by _consiglieri »

Tom wrote:I noticed the talk's footnotes reference page 319 of Givens and Grow's biography, Parley P. Pratt: The Apostle Paul of Mormonism, which is accessible and provides background on the incident (pp. 245-46).

I went to the link and it looks to me like only the first and last chapters of the book are available there.

Do you have any way of copying and pasting the relevant pages?

I am wondering if this book by Givens and Grow tells the full story.

The source I cited came from a 1990 Signature Books biography of Parley Pratt.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Fence Sitter wrote:And finally these are men who are used to the masses praising anything they do as inspired regardless of what it is, even when it contradicts something done by previous inspired men.

Speaking of that, I was modestly surprised to hear President Nelson state in the Sunday morning session of General Conference that we worship Jesus.

What a glorious privilege it has been to celebrate Easter with you on this Sunday of general conference! Nothing could be more fitting than to commemorate the most important event that ever occurred on this earth by worshipping the most important being who ever walked this earth. In this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we worship Him who commenced His infinite Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Maybe he didn't get the McConkie Memo?

1. We worship the Father and him only and no one else.

We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator.

http://www.josephsmithfoundation.org/au ... -the-lord/
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

consiglieri wrote:Speaking of that, I was modestly surprised to hear President Nelson state in the Sunday morning session of General Conference that we worship Jesus.

I remember hearing that and thinking it was odd too. I suppose the expected defense of that would be that it really doesn't matter, but as you point out, there was a time when McConkie really thought it mattered.

But it appears to be something that is being more commonly referred to. Here's Rasband a few years ago:

Worship Jesus By Emulating Him
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

huckelberry wrote:So Parley was so angry that his wife found out about the second wife that the brothers were enemies. A disgusting arrangement.

Seems like the talk was about reconciliation. I wonder how that worked out for Mary Ann? Did she stay in the church? Perhaps she found reconciliation in leaving it.

I think she was sealed to Joseph Smith as one of his plural wives (before she divorced Parley), came out to Utah and died in Pleasant Grive. But I’ll look more up on her to make sure!
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

consiglieri wrote:Do you have any way of copying and pasting the relevant pages?

This should hopefully take you to it (if I did it right...)

Stinky Linky Pinky Doo Dah
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Stinky Linky Pinky Doo Dah

Brilliant!!!

That sort of does work.

You are a genius!!!
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

cinepro wrote:
consiglieri wrote:Speaking of that, I was modestly surprised to hear President Nelson state in the Sunday morning session of General Conference that we worship Jesus.

I remember hearing that and thinking it was odd too. I suppose the expected defense of that would be that it really doesn't matter, but as you point out, there was a time when McConkie really thought it mattered.

But it appears to be something that is being more commonly referred to. Here's Rasband a few years ago:

Worship Jesus By Emulating Him

McConkie just couldn't find much of anything of value about Elohim, God the Father, anywhere in print, anciently or in modern times, so he decided apparently it was time to give dad his due, since Dad wasn't gonna do anything. It really was a ridiculous talk he gave, to be sure. But then, being anti-Greek learning, or any intellectual endeavors whatsoever, McConkie wouldn't have known Jesus worship was o.k. with him, via the.....uh...... New Testament, you know, the book McConkie himself wrote commentaries on? Yeah, that one.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

consiglieri wrote:Researching General Conference for RFM podcast.

[SNIP!]

And if he knew the backdrop, why is he taking the chance that members will research it and find out for themselves what the rift was about?

Thoughts?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Why all the hubbub about Consensual/Non-Consensual Immorality? Everyone know Horny Holy Joe did it under threat of a flaming sword. My first thought was to wonder what on earth he was talking about.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Can't we say they open a can of worms each time they reference something from the Church's history?

mention the first vision, and the can of worms about the "Strange" account might come up.
Mention the Book of Mormon and the whole "translation" process might be looked into.
Dare to mention the Book of Abraham, just try it these days.
Mention their troubles in Kirtland, Missouri, or Nauvoo and someone might get curious enough to look into it.

I'd wager, though, with both Renlund and Rasband neither did the research themselves. It may be their research assistants, whoever they may be, including their own "secretaries" did the research, provided them the references and they were used to deliver the message.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

consiglieri wrote:
Tom wrote:The source I cited came from a 1990 Signature Books biography of Parley Pratt.

Many Mormons regard Signature Books as an antimormon publisher, which effectively immunises them against unhelpful truth revealed in it's publications.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama