It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can MD&D help the Church with lawsuits?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 pm 
God

I was just reading an interesting thread at the Mormon D&D board LDS Church May Be Facing More Lawsuits Over Sexual Abuse And Inaction by ALarson.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/70419-lds-church-may-be-facing-more-lawsuits-over-sexual-abuse-and-inaction/

Smac97 offered a legal strategy by which the Church could keep Robert Wells from testifying in the upcoming trial by saying it was a priest-penitent relationship through which Joseph Bishop confessed his crimes. Provoman, offered other legal wranglings that could be used.

This got me thinking that the combined talents of the MD&D board posters could provide valuable insights into novel Church defenses that could be used in this and subsequent trials. They have been at this sort of thing for quite some time and now that the Church is in peril, they could help with specific denials, reasonings, and legalisms to aid the Church.

What do you think about this idea?

Post subject: Re: Can MD&D help the Church with lawsuits?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:16 pm 
God

Anything from Smac..sucks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:26 pm 
God

Smac is so in a tunnel with scriptures and quotes that he can't see that light beyond it..I mean, his brain won't let him listen or comprehend anything that does not exactly match those scriptures and quotes from church affiliates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:43 pm 
God

Given that the Church has relied upon breaking the priest-penitent relationship in its defence against victims of sexual abuse at the hands of Church Leaders, I’d suggest SMAC isn’t much of a strategist.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm 
God

Instead of paying money to lawyers who have no idea the damage they do, wouldn't it be easier for God just to tell his prophet what to do?

Oh wait...

SMAC does not understand the difference between litigation and conversation.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:56 pm 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
Instead of paying money to lawyers who have no idea the damage they do, wouldn't it be easier for God just to tell his prophet what to do?

Oh wait...

They believe God works through lawyers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 am 
Regional Representative

I think the Church is better off paying the high priced attorneys they already pay. But if they want some really bad legal advice, they could probably get it for free from some of those MD&D posters you mention. Smac, for instance, seems to think there's no case to be had here at all. He seems to think that any sane judge would throw it out before anything happens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am 
God

Stem wrote:
I think the Church is better off paying the high priced attorneys they already pay. But if they want some really bad legal advice, they could probably get it for free from some of those MD&D posters you mention. Smac, for instance, seems to think there's no case to be had here at all. He seems to think that any sane judge would throw it out before anything happens.

I think Smac97 is acting like any defense attorney would. Even so, at a certain point, it becomes absurd.

As to his point about priest/penitent privilege and Robert E. Wells, I think the attorney for Plaintiff wants the church to "hide" behind the priest/penitent privilege so he can try and inflame the jury. When he was in Washington arguing a similar case up there, he got a lot of mileage from this argument. Juries don't like churches hiding behind this argument and even though it may not be relevant to the ultimate case, I think the plaintiff's attorney wants to have the deposition fight over Wells right away, hoping the church will hide behind the priest/penitent privilege and give the Plaintiff some ammunition for P.R. use and jury pool influence. The church should just have Wells go to the deposition and have Wells claim he doesn't remember much. Wells is 90 and a failing memory would be understandable.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Last edited by Exiled on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:27 pm 
God

Stem wrote:
Smac, seems to think that any sane judge would throw it out before anything happens.

Stem, what if Smac substituted the words LDS or Utah for the word sane? Do you think his argument would be bolstered if it read, "... any LDS judge would throw it out before anything happens?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm 
God

Did I tell you that MD&D can kiss my A$$.

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm 
Star A

My meandering legal speculations on this board aren't much better. One problem they may have with asserting priest/penitent privilege for Wells is that Joseph Bishop is recorded disclosing that he talked to Wells and provides the content of what his "confession" related to.

It could be argued that in sharing that with a third party he's waived his privilege. Now that is dealt with MD&D can go back to creating a legal strategy for the Empire to avoid Darth Sidious testifying about Order 66 because all his conversations with Darth Vader were subject to priest/penitent privilege.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:26 pm 
God

No.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:34 pm 
Valiant A

I imagine Wells will invoke the Joe Paterno defense before he ever takes the stand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm 
God

Have Wells claim he doesn't remember so the TBM can say ... see if someone truly repents, the church official forgets ....

Problem solved.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen