Any Advice

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Any Advice

Post by _I have a question »

Watch re-runs of General Conference immediately prior to bed time...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have a question wrote:Watch re-runs of General Conference immediately prior to bed time...

You want him suicidal? Because that's how suicidal tendencies happen.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

ajax18 wrote:Too much guilt, otherwise it would be paradise.

Were you feeling guilt during the dream or after? I heard of some who would feel guilty after, but it seems kinda silly to feel guilty about a dream.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Elder Pen Guin wrote:Ajax, try a combination of Amitriptyline, Trazadone, and a BiPAP.

Time to revise the Mormon Discussions formulary and replace Amitriptyline with Ambien (Zolpidem).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Having not gone on a mission, haven't experienced the reoccurring mishie nightmares.

I did used to have (haven't in many years,) reoccurring dreams of going to Sacrament mtg, stake conference, running through the building a few times in circles. Sitting in the chapel, sometimes in the pew, sometimes nearer the podium - always wanting to get the bleepity bleep out of there (this, while I was still attending church.)

Then some months would go by and it was deja vu all over again. The most nightmarish thing about them was never being able to really free myself from the clutches of the church building itself. Sometimes I'd make it out as far as where the car was parked and ready to drive away, and then something else would happen and I'd find myself sucked back in again. Hence, my reoccurring nightmare. Blech.

Now that I've described them a little, I may have one again only because I'm reminded of them. Dang.

:rolleyes:
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I remember when I was age nine, sitting in the Chapel during Sacrament meeting and daydreaming that I was friends with Jesus and we were outside doing something fun. Looking back, that was probably a normal thought from any nine year old being subjected to the boredom of a Sacrament meeting.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

ajax18 wrote:As most of you know I sleep very poorly, always have. I can do things to make it better or worse but the truth is my body just doesn't sleep as well as it should

To sleep well all you have to do is use your god given hand.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

moksha wrote:I remember when I was age nine, sitting in the Chapel during Sacrament meeting and daydreaming that I was friends with Jesus and we were outside doing something fun. Looking back, that was probably a normal thought from any nine year old being subjected to the boredom of a Sacrament meeting.

My brother and baby sister were buried in a tiny country cemetery when I was a young child. My parents would take us the remaining (surviving) children there a couple occasions to place flowers to let us have a sense of closure. They kept us from the funerals maybe because they considered us too young to understand what that was all about. Not really sure now.

But there was the caretaker's shed a few steps away from where they're buried. It's still there today in fact Same shed, newer paint.

My parents told us that though our brother and sister 'slept in the ground,' that Jesus was there watching over them. Or something to that effect. Maybe it was that they were in heaven living with Jesus who was now their 'caretaker.'

I associated that caretaker's shed with Jesus' shack. I kept peering over there fully expecting to see Jesus walking out at any moment to come and say hello to us in his Jesus robe. Because it was a tiny caretaker's shack, it did befuddle me how he could not notice we were there visiting. So why wouldn't he come over and say hello if he was taking care of my bro and sister?

Now I know they weren't really "there," and neither was he. But to a 3-4 year old child picturing that was more real than death.

Fast forward to my 20's. I had a witness of Jesus' love for me via a dream. It was a message that he was with me, and we were walking together in the desert near Jerusalem. We sat on a hilly knoll to have lunch together. He supped on a bowl of chicken soup, and handed me a can of diet 7-Up. I'd just had a newborn, and was a newly graduate from college unsure of my future. In my dream Jesus assured me that he was with me on my journey, and I wasn't going it alone. I felt his love and peace most of all. It was that feeling that reassured me the most of his reality.