Okay, Break out the secret photos of the Brethren doing Good

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Re: Okay, Break out the secret photos of the Brethren doing

Post by _Stem »

Gadianton wrote:Pretty sad; no evidence whatsoever that the Brethren have ever given a dime unless 27 trumpets sound.

I think they are drenched with the mindset that the best help they can give is to teach people how to fish. They've then concluded the best thing they could do for people is preach at them. Giving money on that type of mindset only enables.

To be fair though I tossed a couple bucks at a homeless person the other day. no one was around, and I don't think anyone took my picture either. So I'm not counting them out of doing good things here or there, and even I'm not sure tossing a couple of bucks at someone the other day was really good. And seeing as I'm boasting about here feels like it takes it away as a good deed anyway.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Okay, Break out the secret photos of the Brethren doing

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Come on people! What do you expect here? Members are not even allowed to write letters directly to apostles and prophets, talking directly to them regarding a personal problem is unheard of now and you guys expect these same men to take a moment out of their busy schedule to help a needy non-member?

Get real.

By the way, the comparison of how the current pope acts as compared to our leadership is very telling. I have seen more public announcements from him covering current social issues than I have from all the prophets from Kimball to Nelson.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."