LDS Inc makes PR appearance in Puerto Rico

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

LDS Inc makes PR appearance in Puerto Rico

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

FAITH first, rebuilding second.

Its real cute when the white Mormons tell the Puerto Ricans that they care.
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... WS_xLIDyM_

Pay, pray, and obey.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Inc makes PR appearance in Puerto Rico

Post by _I have a question »

“It’s very important to us as a Church, and as Church leaders, that [Latter-day Saints] everywhere know when they go through calamities and tribulation, that we care,” said Bishop Davies, who spent 1998 through 2001 in Puerto Rico as a mission president alongside his wife, Darla. “[The people here are] important to us and to the Lord. We want them to know that they have not been overlooked and that we, institutionally, as well as individually, will reach out and extend our love and compassion in a time of need.”

City Creek - $2 billion
Total sum valuation of material, time and cash donations to humanitarian needs each year - $40 million

How much do you care Davies?

At least the Head Of LDS Charities, Sharon Eubank, will understand what’s needed in Puerto Rico...

"If we change our perspective so that caring for the poor and the needy is less about giving stuff away and more about filling the hunger for human contact and about hearing meaningful conversations and creating rich, positive relationships...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... dents.html
It’s not the clothing, it isn’t hygiene kits or school desks or wells.

So, not about giving stuff away, not about clothing or hygiene kits or drinkable water...
Got it Sharon.

Puerto Rico is simply a photo opportunity for the Church to maintain the facade that they are worthy of tax exemption.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

It may also be worth considering that after Harvey pummeled Houston, there was a big effort to get missionaries and members out as "Mormon helping hands" in the cleanup. When Puerto Rico was hit by Irma, the response was to evacuate all the missionaries to Salt Lake City.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

NorthboundZax wrote:It may also be worth considering that after Harvey pummeled Houston, there was a big effort to get missionaries and members out as "Mormon helping hands" in the cleanup. When Puerto Rico was hit by Irma, the response was to evacuate all the missionaries to Salt Lake City.

The Lord always checks his ROI prior to doing anything charitable. Those rich Christians in the Houston area are highly coveted of the Lord for his army. Whereas poor Catholics will always be with us.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Did any of the LDS Churches in Puerto Rico open their doors as a shelter during last year's hurricane? Seem to remember they turned people away during a past disaster in Haiti; didn't want the toilets clogged.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Thus saith the Lord to the little brown and black people of my church: Hold thy peace and be still and know that you have been chosen of me to suffer seeing ye are in the worst part of my vineyard. My chosen white leaders are called to the work and ye my little brown and black children are to cease from your murmuring and trouble not my white and delightsome leaders no more. I the Lord will stretch forth my hand and bless whom I will and I likewise will curse whom I will.

Amen
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Behold, thus saith the Lord to the little brown children of my church: I sent unto you my servant and apostle elder Andersen and by my Spirit he blessed my brown children on the island of Puerto Rico but because of lack of faith from those of my church in the poor part of my vineyard I recalled my blessing and in its stead sent a great storm to chastise them. See that ye sin no more or a greater storm will I the Lord send upon your island and destruction as such as ye have never seen before even so much that a yellow dog won't wag its tail and neither will the sound of the organ or the flute be heard again lest I chastise my little brown children with a greater curse.

Amen