Dan is running for office in Utah!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Dan is running for office in Utah!

Post by _malkie »

https://www.Facebook.com/votedanmcclell ... cation=ufi

on 24 Feb 2018, Dan McClellan wrote:I am running for the Utah State House of Representatives in District 52 to represent the people of Herriman and South Jordan because I no longer feel I can sit on the sidelines and watch our state legislature prioritize the interests of powerful industries and individuals over and against those of the people of Utah, and particularly members of marginalized, underprivileged, and underrepresented groups.

I have two little girls in Utah public schools and a third just learning to crawl, and I am appalled that our air quality and our per-pupil spending in public education are consistently at or near the bottom of national rankings. I don't feel represented to hear legislators tell the public we just need to drive less or that enormous businesses need millions in breaks on their fees to help them compete lest they abandon the state. There are a lot of Utah families trying to compete right now that would be better helped with our tax dollars than multi-million dollar corporations. These concerns have not been priorities for our state legislature.

I don't feel the legislature has taken seriously the need to address the gaping holes in our healthcare, which include the epidemics of suicide and opioid addiction that have particularly plagued our youth.

I am running in House District 52 to restore a voice to the Utah State Legislature that is not beholden to a party agenda, to powerful individuals, or to special interest groups looking to structure power in their favor. My commitment is to consider whose interests are being prioritized with every piece of legislation that comes before me and ensure that the needs and rights of the people of the great state of Utah are not marginalized to serve the interests of those with greater access to power, resources, and influence.

If you'd like to contribute to my campaign, you can do so here:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dan-m ... trict-52-1
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Re: Dan is running for office in Utah!

Post by _CameronMO »

on 24 Feb 2018, Dan McClellan wrote:I don't feel the legislature has taken seriously the need to address the gaping holes in our healthcare, which include the epidemics of suicide and opioid addiction that have particularly plagued our youth.

I am running in House District 52 to restore a voice to the Utah State Legislature that is not beholden to a party agenda, to powerful individuals, or to special interest groups looking to structure power in their favor. My commitment is to consider whose interests are being prioritized with every piece of legislation that comes before me and ensure that the needs and rights of the people of the great state of Utah are not marginalized to serve the interests of those with greater access to power, resources, and influence.

If you'd like to contribute to my campaign, you can do so here:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dan-m ... trict-52-1

This reminds me. Didn't he work for the church? If yes, does he still?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

To restore the voice in Utah? To what??

Okay...okay...edited to add because Candygal went to work at 1:30 in the morning..I thought you were talking about Dan Peterson...OMG....I am so relieved!!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Good for Dan McClellan. Best wishes (and he will need them) running in an area chock full of rabid Republicans. Hopefully, he can get through to them and help them realize the party they have been mesmerized into voting for does not have their best interests in its agenda.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

on 24 Feb 2018, Dan McClellan wrote:I am running for the Utah State House of Representatives in District 52 to represent the people of Herriman and South Jordan because I no longer feel I can sit on the sidelines and watch our state legislature prioritize the interests of powerful industries and individuals over and against those of the people of Utah, and particularly members of marginalized, underprivileged, and underrepresented groups.
I think Dan needs to declare his conflict of interest. Or state publicly that he will treat the LDS Church as any other “powerful industry” and fight them if he feels their interests are being prioritised over marginalised, under privileged, and underrepresented groups.

I have two little girls in Utah public schools and a third just learning to crawl, and I am appalled that our air quality and our per-pupil spending in public education are consistently at or near the bottom of national rankings.
I wonder if Dan has a credible proposal for changing that?

I don't feel represented to hear legislators tell the public we just need to drive less or that enormous businesses need millions in breaks on their fees to help them compete lest they abandon the state. There are a lot of Utah families trying to compete right now that would be better helped with our tax dollars than multi-million dollar corporations. These concerns have not been priorities for our state legislature.
What would Dan do if, as a result of his policy of removing tax incentives, multi-millon dollar corporations abandoned the state taking thousands of jobs with them? What is Dan’s proposal on tax breaks for multi-billion dollar Churches in the state?

I don't feel the legislature has taken seriously the need to address the gaping holes in our healthcare, which include the epidemics of suicide and opioid addiction that have particularly plagued our youth.
I think Dan needs to be prepared to respond to the accusation that the religion he supports and (presumably) his personal belief on the subject of homosexuality, is a key factor behind the suicide epidemic in Utah. And that his religion also contributes to the depression rates driving the opioid addictions. Or else put forward the case why he believes those things are not connected.

Catering to a minority is not really a recipe for gaining a majority of the votes required.

I think Utah has suffered from Mormon involvement in its legislature for far too long. It doesn’t need more Mormon influence, it needs less. I’d like to hear Dan fully explain his position on Church vs State to the people who’s votes he is seeking.

Very specifically, I think the voters should be informed as to how much money Dan donates to the organisation that bars gay people and their children, because God says that’s what He wants. It’s relevant.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

So I said in a previous post...I thought this was Dan Petersen.. :redface: Okay...embarrassed..but also curious. To those of us in Utard...what would you do if Dr. Dan decided to run for anything??
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

I've only had one exchange with him (it was in this forum). I couldn't agree with his particular claims but I found him to be extremely intelligent and intellectually honest. I have read his blog a few times since then and have only been confirmed in my original impressions. By contrast, most of the members in Utah's current legislative class are not only liars but the worst kind of liars: stupid liars.

I wish him the best in his campaign and will be encouraging my relatives who live in that district to vote for him.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_I have a question
_Emeritus

I’m sorry Adobe, Representative Dan doesn’t want you to benefit from tax breaks anymore, take your $2.3 billion of wages and go elsewhere. Because families.
LEHI — Software giant Adobe broke ground Wednesday on a project that represents a literal doubling-down of the company's investment in Utah, and it's one that's slated to have sizable impacts on the state's economy for years to come.

The company dug the first shovel full of earth on a $90 million facility that will, when it opens in two years, be home to 1,000 new employees. The building will be adjacent its seven-year-old Lehi facility off I-15 and will have much the same eye-catching appeal. It will also be the source of an estimated $2.3 billion in new wages and over $85 million in state corporate, payroll and sales taxes over the next 20 years.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -lehi.html

The company is also engaged with the community and has partnered in various efforts to help build the science, technology, engineering and math pipeline. Francom is also a member of the Point of the Mountain Development Commission.

In July, the Governor's Office of Economic Development announced Adobe was granted a $25.8 million post-performance tax incentive package for its Utah investment and expected payroll and tax expenditures. The company projects that the new positions will pay approximately 300 percent of the Utah County average wage.

I’m not sure I’d let Dan manage his own allowance...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Instead of “powerful industries” that bring much needed employment to Utah, Dan’s ticket would be stronger if he runs on the basis of encouraging more industry to come to Utah through tax incentives, and saved his vernacular for tackling this type of thing....

A report released last year found that the wage gap between women and men in Utah is the second largest in the country, just ahead of Louisiana.

In an effort to better understand the underlying causes and what can be done to address the gap, Sen. Luz Escamilla, D-Salt Lake City, requested some money to study the issue. The state didn’t have it, she was told.

So on Monday, she announced two Brigham Young University researchers were willing to do the work for free — they just needed approval from the Legislature so they could get some necessary data from the state.

That request, too, was voted down, with the all-male Republican leaders nixing it on a party-line vote.

In a $16.7 billion budget that included a $581 million surplus this year, it’s hard for lawmakers to argue they don’t have the money. It’s even harder when you look at where they are spending some of that money this year.

They’re putting $125,000 — the exact amount Escamilla needed to conduct the wage gap study — into hosting a Web.com golf tournament, thanks to a request from Rep. Stewart Barlow, R-Fruit Heights.

They’re spending another $200,000, at the request of House Majority Whip Francis Gibson, R-Mapleton, to help stage the Big Outdoors Expo.

They’re funding Provo Republican Sen. Curt Bramble’s $100,000 request for America’s Freedom Festival, a July Fourth bash in his hometown; and once again ponying up $250,000 for the Hill Air Force Base Air Show, a request from Rep. Steve Handy, R-Layton.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... lp-people/
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I've had my differences with Dan in the past, but what he's doing is very courageous for anyone, politics is a dirty game, and he's going to get a lot of crap. So, for what it's worth, I sincerely wish him the best of luck with his campaign and applaud him for a very courageous step in doing what he feels is right for him and his family.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.