What are church property firearm carry rules?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: What are church property firearm carry rules?

Post by _Res Ipsa »

cwald wrote:Just to be clear in Oregon and Utah a person with a concealed weapons permit can carry a gun into schools and churches unless they are clearly marked that they are not allowed.

Water Dog, in Texas is it law that concealed weapons cannot be brought into any church, even if they don't have signs posted? Is the idea of a "safe-zone a legal thing or is it just a cultural practice?

Texas’s law for churches sounds the same as Oregon — allowed unless a specific type of sign is posted.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: What are church property firearm carry rules?

Post by _Water Dog »

cwald wrote:WD, in Texas is it law that concealed weapons cannot be brought into any church, even if they don't have signs posted? Is the idea of a "safe-zone a legal thing or is it just a cultural practice?

In Texas there are certain places which are safe zones regardless of signage, including schools and churches. Although not universities any longer. However, in the case of churches and hospitals, the law is unenforced to my knowledge. Just because of how people are, I'd never carry at a public school, but never had any qualms about carrying at church. The law will probably change to allow carrying in all these places. I wish they hadn't legalized open carry, kind of screwed things up.