Mormon Women For Ethical Government

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormon Women For Ethical Government

Post by _I have a question »

On Thursday, Mormon Women for Ethical Government released the following statement "with regard to the silencing, denigration and abuse of women":

"As Mormon Women for Ethical Government, we assert without equivocation that the silencing, denigration, and abuse of women are heinous offenses which must never be condoned or ignored. Our former prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley stated: 'We condemn most strongly abusive behavior in any form. No man who abuses his wife or children is worthy to be a member in good standing in this Church. The abuse of one’s spouse and children is a most serious offense before God.' We stand with all women and hold in the highest regard those who seek help or counsel when they are being harmed in any way. These women must be heard and they must be believed."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... women.html

Never heard of them, who are they?

Mormon Women for Ethical Government is self-described as a "nonpartisan group dedicated to the ideals of decency, honor, accountability, transparency, and justice in governing. We are faithful, peaceful, and proactive. We are both watchdogs and activists, guided by our discipleship to Jesus Christ and His teachings. Our goal is to oppose unlawful and/or unethical proceedings and to promote positive change." The private organization is not affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but its members "fully, sustain, honor, and support" the LDS Church's doctrines and leaders, according to its website.

My irony meter just exploded....

Their website:
https://www.mormonwomenforethicalgovern ... use-women/

Under their section “Tips For Effective Action”
Grab Your Phone and Call

Since in-person meetings aren’t always possible, call your senators Bishops and representatives Stake Presidents often, even daily when needed. Calls are what your congressmen and congresswomen Area Authorities pay attention to most. (With letters/postcards and emails/online petitions coming in at second and third, respectively.) Every day, the senior staff and senator/representative General Authority get a report of the three most-called-about topics for the day at each office and how many people said what about each topic.

Obvious amendments are mine, done for demonstration of the ironic nature of how this group advocates people operate...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Women For Ethical Government

Post by _CameronMO »

My favorite:

Ballard wrote:That you will let your voices be heard, we cannot, we cannot meet our destiny as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in preparing this world for the 2nd coming of the Savior of the world without the support and the faith and the strength of the women of this church. We need you. We need your voices. They need to be heard. They need to be heard in your community, in your neighborhoods, they need to be heard within the ward council or the branch council. Now don’t talk too much in those council meetings, just straighten the brethren out quickly and move the work on. We are building the kingdom of God.

Women, we need you . . . to get the men back on track when the men start gossiping in council meetings.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Women For Ethical Government

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, to her credit the first name on the 'founders' list is Sharlee Glenn. She seems to be pretty accomplished. Look at her website:

https://www.sharleeglenn.com/

She's written a handful of childrens books, which is pretty cool. And I don't know how successful she is getting gigs but this is what she charges for the privilege of hearing her talk to kids:

Standard Fees:

Wasatch Front (Utah):

Assembly $500

Half Day $700 (2 presentations)

Full Day $1000 (up to four presentations; each presentations over four will be an additional $400)

Out of State:

$1500/day plus travel and lodging

That's a hell of a life!

-Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.