FairMormon on Creation Atonement and Quantum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

FairMormon on Creation Atonement and Quantum

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It has been the hobby horse of recent scientists to suggest that, in the light of quantum mechanics, the opposite of something is not nothing but instead some quantum chaos. See recent books by Stephen Hawking and Lawrence Krauss for example. Now admittedly these books have been blasted for being filled with bad philosophy in their attempt to reduce the entire universe to a few 20th century physics principles the authors coincidentally specialized in. (Not too different from biologists I have met who likewise attempt attribute everything about the known universe to the evolutionary principles they were blessed to study in graduate school) But these philosophically bad reductionist errors are beside the point here.
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2018/01 ... s-creation

I am interested in seeing who has criticized these books for these putative problems and how valid are the criticisms, but, alas, FAIR usually gives just generalized platitudes.

Also within this article, the same problem exists in FAIR's attempts to make atonement theology out of Genesis 1:1. You want Jesus in the Old Testament (and he literally has to be read into it, since he is most certainly entirely missing within its over 550 pages), and his atonement because that is the doctrine you most emphasize and imagine is the pinnacle and point of everything, therefore, you read it into the Old Testament with the mythological presentation of the New Testament as the point the Old Testament was supposedly talking about.

But one really good thing FAIR didn't do here, thank Quantum! They did not start talking about Quantum Spirituality as the meanings of understanding Jesus' atonement. Quantum chaos attempting to keep Mormonism in the scientific loop is weak enough. I have been re-reading Victor J. Stenger's stinging indictment against New Agers in his book Quantum Gods so this article of FAIR caught my eye. It's harmless enough, since all it does is Mormonize Genesis, something cosistent with every religion trying to steal the Jewish scriptures as their own.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Re: FairMormon on Creation Atonement and Quantum

Post by _Physics Guy »

Is this really about quantum chaos in the technical sense of chaotic quantum dynamics, or just about quantum fluctuations that are being figuratively described as "chaos"?

"Quantum chaos" as a technical term is fairly hard to explain, so I'd be surprised to see it in popular books.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: FairMormon on Creation Atonement and Quantum

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Physics Guy wrote:Is this really about quantum chaos in the technical sense of chaotic quantum dynamics, or just about quantum fluctuations that are being figuratively described as "chaos"?

"Quantum chaos" as a technical term is fairly hard to explain, so I'd be surprised to see it in popular books.

It's about quantum fluctuations. Pretty sure "quantum chaos" just got thrown in by someone who didn't understand the term.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951