Elder Oaks Corrects President Nelson on LGBT Question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Elder Oaks Corrects President Nelson on LGBT Question

Post by _consiglieri »

Just saw this at Thinker of Thoughts and Things.

A review of the video clip shows how Elder Oaks corrects President Nelson in his inadvertently (?) inclusive answer to the LGBT question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUlrmNrMOAI

Well done!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Oaks Corrects President Nelson on LGBT Question

Post by _I have a question »

*awkward*
I liked the way Nelson followed up with an amended response that he spoke towards Oaks as if for approval of what he was clarifying.

Nelson has obviously appointed Oaks as a babysitter, and Oaks is taking the role seriously. I note that Nelson is already coming across as “not quite all there”, not unusual in a man of his advanced years. He seems a bit befuddled. I’d be willing to bet that Nelson won’t do a press conference where Oaks isn’t by his side.

Oaks is running the show now.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Now that we know the entire performance was scripted, I think what happens is that President Nelson was doing fine (by Oaks' standard) until he got to the end of his response and said something that sounded like it might actually be inclusive to LGBT people. I.e., President Nelson either went off script or misread the teleprompter.

That's when Oaks needed to lean in and set the record straight.

Oaks has a habit of saying "Indeed" at the beginning of a comment in response to another authority which signals the fact he is going to disagree with them and modify their answer to Oaks' liking.

He did this several times with Elder Ballard in the Face-to-Face presentation, as well.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

It's pretty clear why Nelson needed oaks in the 1st Presidency.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Always have your lawyer with you during tough, softball questioning. :lol: He is 93 though and probably won't do another press conference like this one, even though it was scripted.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Exiled wrote:Always have your lawyer with you during tough, softball questioning. :lol: He is 93 though and probably won't do another press conference like this one, even though it was scripted.

I think you are right.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Oh Jesus, I just feel sorry for Nelson. He's always been an awkward speaker; he seems like someone who learned to smile by studying a textbook on facial anatomy. He's not as bad as Monson, perhaps—sine about 2000 that man had "nursing home escapee" written all over him—but anyone who cares about Nelson's dignity should make sure always to pack an extra teleprompter.

Oaks, though, is clearly with it, and he has a tremendous intellect. Whatever you think of him as a Mormon leader, thank god he wasn't around after 1984 as a jurist waiting to be nominated to the Supreme Court.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

interesting Youtube channel
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Symmachus wrote:Oh Jesus, I just feel sorry for Nelson. He's always been an awkward speaker; he seems like someone who learned to smile by studying a textbook on facial anatomy. He's not as bad as Monson, perhaps—sine about 2000 that man had "nursing home escapee" written all over him—but anyone who cares about Nelson's dignity should make sure always to pack an extra teleprompter.

Oaks, though, is clearly with it, and he has a tremendous intellect. Whatever you think of him as a Mormon leader, thank god he wasn't around after 1984 as a jurist waiting to be nominated to the Supreme Court.

Sorry, but anyone stupid enough to defend a White Salamander for TheLard does not qualify. That he defended it in support of a fictional letter because he thought it was real tells us what he really is.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert