Mormon Church uses terror attack poster to drum up business.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormon Church uses terror attack poster to drum up business.

Post by _I have a question »

A new low...
The Mormon church is accused of 'insensitive scaremongering' after using a 'disgusting' banner featuring the Manchester terror attack to advertise their services

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html

A Mormon church which used an image of the Manchester Arena terror attack to advertise services has taken down a huge banner after a 'disgusted' survivor complained.

Advertising outside The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Wythenshawe, south Manchester, featured a photograph showing armed police and paramedics in the aftermath of last May's bomb.

Alongside the image were the words: 'Are you prepared for possible disasters?' Come on Saturday Jan 27 11am to 1pm to see if we can help you', and featured an I Love Manchester logo.

It seems somebody wasn’t listening during a recent conference talk.
Fear as Manipulation

Historically, fear has often been used as a means to get people to take action. Parents have used it with their children, employers with employees, and politicians with voters.

Experts in marketing understand the power of fear and often employ it. This is why some advertisements seem to carry the implicit message that if we fail to buy their breakfast cereal or miss out on the newest video game or cell phone, we run the risk of living a miserable life, dying alone and unhappy.

We smile at this and think we would never fall for such manipulation, but we sometimes do. Worse, we sometimes use similar methods to get others to do what we want.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... r?lang=eng

One of the ways Satan wants us to manipulate others is by dwelling upon and even exaggerating the evil in the world.

Certainly our world has always been, and will continue to be, imperfect. Far too many innocent people suffer because of circumstances of nature as well as from man’s inhumanity. The corruption and wickedness in our day are unique and alarming.

But in spite of all this, I wouldn’t trade living in this time with any other time in the history of the world. We are blessed beyond measure to live in a day of unparalleled prosperity, enlightenment, and advantage. Most of all, we are blessed to have the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which gives us a unique perspective on the world’s dangers and shows us how to either avoid these dangers or deal with them.

When I think of these blessings, I want to fall to my knees and offer praises to our Heavenly Father for His never-ending love for all of His children.

I don’t believe God wants His children to be fearful or dwell on the evils of the world. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”10

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

22 people died in the Manchester Bombing, their deaths are not a marketing opportunity for the Mormon Church. The spokesperson for the Church who responded has fallen well short of offering the type of unequivocal apology those 22 people and their families merit for this abuse of their tragedy.
A spokesman for the church said: 'The imagery used on the banner did not portray what the event is actually intended to be, and was a misunderstanding.
'It certainly was not our intention to upset anyone and the banner was taken down as soon as we heard that it might have caused upset.
'In line with our desire to follow Christ's example and seek to help people in taking care of themselves and others, the event is designed as an aid to be more self-reliant and prepared to face life's challenges.'
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Church uses terror attack poster to drum up busin

Post by _DrW »

Desperate times call for desperate measures. And the LDS Church is certainly facing desperate times. Wider public recognition and acknowledgement of fact vs. fiction is becoming an existential threat to Mormonism.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

ihaq wrote:The spokesperson for the Church who responded has fallen well short of offering the type of unequivocal apology those 22 people and their families merit for this abuse of their tragedy.

Clearly.

[the lds spokesperson said]...the imagery used on the banner did not portray what the event is actually intended to be...

But...
[the lds church banner]... used an image of the Manchester Arena terror attack...

What a non-apology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I can't find anywhere after 5 minutes of googling how having a typical 'disaster kit' and food supplies can help you in case a terrorist commits a mass shooting. In this 11-page manual you can create a working list in response to either natural or man-made disasters:

https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... se%20Guide[1].pdf?lang=eng

I'd suggest adding small arms and concussion grenades to the spreadsheet found on page 5.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

I wonder if they got permission and paid licensing fees to the Copyright holder for use of the image?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I wonder what makes the Church think it's qualified to teach people to be prepared and face life's challenges?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.