New president of LDS Inc promises diversity...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: New president of LDS Inc promises diversity...

Post by _Gadianton »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:Image

ummm... ok.

Not only are they all three from Utahhrd, but all three are white, oh, and BALD.

empirical proof that 3 x 0 = 0.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

This is certainly an interesting claim, but it's worth asking: what do they mean by "diversity"? I think this will be an important test of the Mopologists' influence on the direction of the Church. Students who took my "Politics of Mopologetics" seminar know very well that the apologists have been willing to accept "diversity" provided that *they* get to define what it means. The apologists have always been sharply critical of "diversity" in the usual sense--particularly (at they see it) within university culture / the Academy. But, they have always been willing to go along with this provided that the definition could be expanded to include things like diversity of ideology or (perhaps) diversity of epistemology. Just imagine if American universities began treating hardcore, right-wing ideas (on economics, culture, social issues, what have you) as legitimate and worthy of serious consideration! I'm sure the Mopologists would love it if prayer were included in university curricula in much the same way that the scientific method is--they'd like to see both methods of inquiry placed on the same plane. Or, at least, that's what they often imply at various points.

So--I wonder--which sort of "diversity" do the Brethren have in mind? Are they rejecting the Mopologist propaganda and instead going along with the "left-wing" academy's definition of "diversity"? Or can we expect (instead) that we will be seeing a "diversity" of ideologies and beliefs within the LDS Church? (Both the LGT and the Heartland approach are worthy of consideration?)

Bear in mind that the 'academic' definition of diversity would mean more people of color in leadership positions, and it would even include the idea of granting women the priesthood, and a more generous attitude towards LGBTQ folks. I can only imagine that the Old Guard Mopologists are frothing with rage over this apparent betrayal of all their hard work. No matter how the Brethren proceed, one can only interpret this as a spectacular failure for the apologists.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I think the diversity refers to the wearing of both white and cream colored shirts.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Res Ipsa wrote:I think the diversity refers to the wearing of both white and cream colored shirts.

That or the wide variety of ties, I mean the stripes go different directions and one has polka dots. How much more diversity could you need?
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Professor,

I think you are right that karma for the apologists diversity of thought in academics is coming back to them in the form of the church's diversity on of thought as in, whatever makes a hit with the membership, and no doubt the heartland model is going to be protected first.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Res Ipsa wrote:I think the diversity refers to the wearing of both white and cream colored shirts.

LOL!!!
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB