BOOK OF ABRAHAM FACSIMILE NO. 3?? WEBSITE

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: BOOK OF ABRAHAM FACSIMILE NO. 3?? WEBSITE

Post by _Runtu »

RockSlider wrote:For some reason, I got a vision of Hugh standing center stage as the ringmaster .. and his words ringing loud and clear 'Welcome to the Grand Illusion, pay the price, get your tickets for the show"

Yes, the more I have read of Nibley, the less impressed I have become. That said, he may have been completely convinced he was in the right. That's what I mean about not making moral judgments.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Runtu wrote:Yes, the more I have read of Nibley, the less impressed I have become. That said, he may have been completely convinced he was in the right. That's what I mean about not making moral judgments.

THE THREE FACSIMILES FROM THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM Hugh W. Nibley (1980)

Hugh Nibley wrote:1) is Joseph Smith's Explanation of the thing at all plausible--could such a thing have happened? The answer is emphatically "Yes".

2) Is there any reason for thinking that such a thing could have happened to Abraham? There is.

Perhaps the neatest bull's eye that the Prophet Joseph makes in the Explanations, is in designating Figure 5 in Facsimile No. 3 as "Shulem, one of King's principal waiters."

etc

Hugh Nibley was a liar. He knew better. He knew what the experts said. He twisted, distorted, and led people astray in his evil web of deception.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yes, the more I have read of Nibley, the less impressed I have become. That said, he may have been completely convinced he was in the right.

I have had the same reaction as well. I remember Bill Hamblin telling me he tried to re-read all of Nibley's writings each year so as to keep them fresh in his mind. Ayiyi! Well, and then I was as guilty, as at one time I re-read everything the man wrote and was published (and not published) every year myself. (I remember reading "An Approach to the Book of Mormon" in one day!) Yeah, actually studying how science works and reading the scientists and evolutionists, and atheists demonstrated to me so many flaws in Nibley's logic. I was curious as to what caused the flaws? I discovered it a few years ago and wrote it on my blog. Nibley was a literalist. He was more fundamental literalist than Joseph Fielding Smith, and that's saying something!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote: Nibley was a literalist. He was more fundamental literalist than Joseph Fielding Smith, and that's saying something!

Poor Nibley got stuck with the job of having to defend the Book of Abraham after the long lost missing papyrus fragments were discovered and returned to the church. How shocking it must have been to have to look at those fragments and put 2 + 2 together and come up with 3. It must have been highly disappointing for Nibley and his comrades. What did Joseph Fielding Smith ever have to say about the fragments and how they might shine light on Joseph Smith's Egyptian translations? I don't recall the old croak ever saying boo -- not diddly-squat! Joseph Fielding Smith with his loud mouthed opinions never said a word not even as President of the church! The man was a total coward and hid under a rock.

I wonder what Joseph Fielding Smith would have to say about my discovery of the chopped off jackal snout on the lead printing plate? We have yet to see what LDS apologists have to say about this. As far as I know, nothing has been said. But that's par for the course when it comes to the Book of Abraham, just put it on the back burner and keep the faith. That's Mormonism for you. But I predict the jackal snout is going to bite the apologists on the ass. Ouch! There is no escaping that bite! I'll make sure of that. lol
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

Shulem wrote:I wonder what Joseph Fielding Smith would have to say about my discovery of the chopped off jackal snout on the lead printing plate? We have yet to see what LDS apologists have to say about this. As far as I know, nothing has been said. But that's par for the course when it comes to the Book of Abraham, just put it on the back burner and keep the faith.

Now it's put it in a black box. Lol. Black, because it is a source of evil doubts probably and it surely is a cursed box. Something the box no doubt did in the pre-existence merited its present color and duty in life. When aircraft crash we look for the black box to learn why. This is an apt metaphor! When the world of Mormonism comes crashing down about the TBM he can look in the black box to see why this accident occurred. It became so loaded with facts that it became impossible to heft. The aircraft could no longer bear its weight and plummeted to the earth!

That jackal snout exists because there must be opposition in ALL things whether great or small. God had it placed there to test you boy and you fell for it! Lol.

I was contacted by a girl I knew as a teenager. She wants me back in the church. I explained that I left over conflicts with science. She assured me that she believes in science and was getting a degree in anthropology then she went on to state her hypothesis that TBMs have a particular blood type. That's right one of the blood types is superior to the rest! (Some blood cells were more obedient in their pre-existence no doubt). All this ties back into that great revelation that came from Joseph Fielding Smith about this fluid that courses through our veins.

I'm 907 years old but I don't feel a day over 800. What's my secret? I continue to sin and God keeps lengthening my probation so that I might repent. Well seriously, that's not true (twoo for TBMs). Rather than obtaining the 2nd anointing (too much work) and being rewarded with as long a life as I'd like, I did meditate upon the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith - that the immortality of the body is due to spirit flowing through the veins instead of blood. Why of course! It's so obvious! Cut off that pesky Oxygen to the brain and it will live forever! Duh!

Anyhow I share my secret with you all. The spirit transfusion:

Live long and prosper.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

THANK YOU mentalgymnast for finally voicing your opinion in the other thread.

:smile:

mentalgymnast wrote:I went through and read the thread you linked to. I hadn't been through and paid much attention to this thread. I think there was another Book of Abraham related thread during that time that I did participate in but I didn't spend time with this one. Looking through it, I see that Don Bradley has a rather high opinion of your views/conclusions in regards to the missing snout. Also, as I read the comments of others I have no reason to question the 8-10 range of responses. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I come and go here...and I may have been in the process of going at the time.

------------------------------------

10 Shulem
8-9 Fence Sitter
8-9 Themis
8.9 deacon blues
8-9 Philo Sofee
8-9 Sanctorian
3 abinadi_fire
9 Symmachus
3 The Dude
10 Jesse Pinkman
10 DonBradley
8-9 tana
10 Jersey Girl
10+ Doctor CamNC4Me
10 Tator
5 Res Ipsa
10 cwald
8 Lemmie
9.5 Everybody Wang Chung
9.5 Dr. Shades
10 grindael
8.5 Maksutov
9 DrW
8-10 mentalgymnast
10 moksha
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think Dr. Gee may have written a response to this thread.

http://www.conflictofjustice.com/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:I think Dr. Gee may have written a response to this thread.

I think you are mistaken, my friend.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:I think Dr. Gee may have written a response to this thread.

You've yet to vote your opinion based on what you know now.

1-10, moksha?

Well?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Shulem, if Anubis is always represented by a jackal/African golden wolf, then yes (10) it definitely should have been depicted as such.

Had the priests depicted the Anubis head to look like Scooby Doo, then I would suspect those priests of somehow intercepting a shipment of hashish, which perhaps had been floated down the Nile by indentured Hebrew construction workers.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace