I Wish to Thank Sic et Non

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

I Wish to Thank Sic et Non

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Sic et Non quotes Senator Barry Goldwater with something sincerely significant, because Sic et Non is not aware of the double edged sword it possesses to his own world view due to his religious preference.

Goldwater said
Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. Their mistaken course stems from false notions of equality, ladies and gentlemen. Equality, rightly understood, as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences. Wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... MMrfpvL.99

I say the same of prophets, seers, and revelators, apostles and all such since we have been continually told by them that to follow them is always right even when they are wrong, and that when they speak, the thinking has been done, now believe. In other words conformity and then despotism. I mean this entire quote applies exactly analogously to religious leaders. They have the absolute power to demand obedience and conformity or else they pile on the guilty through spiritual torture and failures you will have in the next life, The psychology is damning to personal self worth until you obey them. I realize I am taking this out of context of a political speech, yes, but the analogy to religious leaders is rather good, in my opinion. Follow us in order to attain the highest and greatest celestial glory. i.e., they "are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth." If you DON'T obey us, YOU lose your family for eternity.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: I Wish to Thank Sic et Non

Post by _RockSlider »

Council of the 50 jumps straight to mind.

Rotten from the foundation on up.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Good catch, Philo. It is pretty amazing. Goldwater could just as easily be criticizing an Ezra Taft Benson figure.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

RockSlider wrote:Council of the 50 jumps straight to mind.

Rotten from the foundation on up.

Indeed! Few things demonstrate better early Mormonism’s powerful fanaticism and willingness to go rogue than YTFIF.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Even though Doug Jones makes Dr. Peterson sad due to Jones not being an ultra-conservative, it is positive that Dr. Peterson was not in favor of Roy Moore.

I imagine Dr. Peterson would favor a resurrected George C. Wallace as the Alabama pick. Gov. Wallace wanted Elder Ezra Taft Benson to be his Vice Presidential running mate on a pro-segregation platform in 1968.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace