An important question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Re: An important question

Post by _Stem »

Dr. Shades wrote:'Cause it leads to tribalism and cliquishness, where the reputation of the poster becomes a greater factor in evaluating a post than the actual content of the post.

If you think those things are somehow void here you’re kidding yourself. So as it is I think your claim is left unsubstantiated. If thumbs ups lead to those things then why do they already exist?

Never mind the questions in certain this is going nowhere. Thought I’d try.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Stem wrote:Why can't we have a feature wherein we simply give a rep point or thumbs up to posts we like? It makes it easier and also makes you feel more involved with each other.

'Cause it leads to tribalism and cliquishness, where the reputation of the poster becomes a greater factor in evaluating a post than the actual content of the post.

Yup. This is an anonymous discussion board, and it works best on that basis.

Here, if you can be said to win, it is because your opponent ends up without a leg to stand on (even if he or she does not notice it - in which case the Black Knight gif is always useful). The most interesting posters here show no signs of feeling any strong need to be approved of, or even liked - even though they often are to all evidence likeable people, and would I think be pleasant in real life company. They just want to be clear in what they say, and to find out what is true. In the world as it currently is, the presence of such people is a refreshment. What would rep points add to that?

By the way, the great thing about Moksha's posts, referred to in this thread, is that they nearly always have a point - and his way of putting his point in penguinese makes that point even more effective. His cuteness is a means, not an end in itself, which would rapidly become tedious.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Stem wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:'Cause it leads to tribalism and cliquishness, where the reputation of the poster becomes a greater factor in evaluating a post than the actual content of the post.

If you think those things are somehow void here you’re kidding yourself. So as it is I think your claim is left unsubstantiated. If thumbs ups lead to those things then why do they already exist?

Never mind the questions in certain this is going nowhere. Thought I’d try.

For me, a reputation system detracts from a discussion board.

Nobody thinks that cliques and tribalism are void here. And it is easy to let someone know you agree with his post, but this is a discussion board, and how does being able to give someone a rep point add to a discussion board? If, in fact you like what someone has said, take the time to tell them that along with why you like it. That is what a discussion board should be, not a popularity contest.

Besides everyone knows that if we were able to give rep points, Moksha would be so far ahead of everyone else it would make the rest of us feel so inadequate we would quit the board.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Fence Sitter wrote:Besides everyone knows that if we were able to give rep points, Moksha would be so far ahead of everyone else it would make the rest of us feel so inadequate we would quit the board.

Like. Like. Like. Thumbs up. The truest thing ever said on this board, and containing more truth than anything ever said on that other board. I love the Mokshake; s/he moksha wanna LOL every time. #thanksmoksha
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Besides everyone knows that if we were able to give rep points, Moksha would be so far ahead of everyone else it would make the rest of us feel so inadequate we would quit the board.

Well said. I can't even imagine what that point spread might be in some cases. But I sure wouldn't want to be one of those on the losing end. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Let’s just give Moksha a zillion upvotes and be done with it. He deserves it.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Res Ipsa wrote:Let’s just give Moksha a zillion upvotes and be done with it. He deserves it.

Yer being a little selfish on the points ain't cha? :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Symmachus wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:Besides everyone knows that if we were able to give rep points, Moksha would be so far ahead of everyone else it would make the rest of us feel so inadequate we would quit the board.

Like. Like. Like. Thumbs up. The truest thing ever said on this board, and containing more truth than anything ever said on that other board. I love the Mokshake; s/he moksha wanna LOL every time. #thanksmoksha

Ain't that the truth! Moksha is one of a kind. He's brilliant.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Chap wrote:By the way, the great thing about Moksha's posts, referred to in this thread, is that they nearly always have a point - and his way of putting his point in penguinese makes that point even more effective. His cuteness is a means, not an end in itself, which would rapidly become tedious.
like everyone else, I could not agree more.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Stem wrote:Every time, ok maybe just most times, I see a Moksha post I get a sly grin or an audible chuckle accompanied with a renewed hope for humanity.

Why can't we have a feature wherein we simply give a rep point or thumbs up to posts we like? It makes it easier and also makes you feel more involved with each other.

I think we're all literate enough to comment in the affirmative when we appreciate the words of another and likewise, critically when we don't.

Rep points? There'd be a certain number of posters for whom that would become their main focus.

+1,000 works for me!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb