Were the laws of physics written by someone?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Were the laws of physics written by someone?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Michio Kaku said
No one knows who wrote the laws of physics or where they come from. Science is based on testable, reproducible evidence, and so far we cannot test the universe before the Big Bang.

From my readings of scientists and astronomers, the feeling is the laws of physics are simply our own human way to describe the regularities of nature as we see them in our observations.

What are some of your thoughts? Must they have been written by someone?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Re: Were the laws of physics written by someone?

Post by _moinmoin »

I think this is just his way of expressing the thought (for broad audiences) that we cannot know anything about the laws before the Big Bang. I don't think he's making a theological statement or implying anything here; it's more his engaging and accessible writing style.

According to the eternalist strain within Mormonism, no one would have "written" them. No beginning, and no end. There is no ultimate "first cause."
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Post by _lemuel »

If we're living in a simulation, then within that simulation, the laws of physics could have been written by someone.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Philo Sofee wrote:
From my readings of scientists and astronomers, the feeling is the laws of physics are simply our own human way to describe the regularities of nature as we see them in our observations.

No one knows, but there is no need to believe a God wrote the laws of physics.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

If you're hoping for a confession, I'm not sure that one will be forthcoming.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

We continue to gain a new understanding of the physical laws of existence on an almost daily basis. As to the authorship of these "laws", well, the head honcho was busy populating the planets with a large army of sister-wives. That left the computational work of devising and implementing the Celestial mechanics of the universe to the supreme squadron of TK-Smoothies. They were able to accomplish much when not totally consumed with sexual desire. It simply was not part of the TK-Smoothie's theology.

Hope that helps.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Michio Kaku said
No one knows who wrote the laws of physics or where they come from. Science is based on testable, reproducible evidence, and so far we cannot test the universe before the Big Bang.

I find the debate behind, "Are mathematics a discovery or invention?" fascinating. The question of if our use of mathematics and science to codify what we observe in the universe and make accurate predictions is also fascinating for similar reasons. I tend to come down on the side of invention rather than discovery.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, someone much smarter than myself there's literal binary code written into the fabric of the universe. It's pretty interesting and I recommend you watch the first 4 minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvMlUepVgbA

Here's the wiki on Dr. Gates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_James_Gates

This might be the perfect confluence of Franktalkian woo and scientific orthodoxy!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

honorentheos wrote:I find the debate behind, "Are mathematics a discovery or invention?" fascinating. The question of if our use of mathematics and science to codify what we observe in the universe and make accurate predictions is also fascinating for similar reasons. I tend to come down on the side of invention rather than discovery.

Honor,

Ten years ago, I would taken the opposite view. However, amazingly complex and convoluted mathematics have been developed over that time to describe string theory. Some of it requires work in coordinate systems of more than 10 dimensions (some claim as high as 26).

This approximate 10 dimensional math has developed to the point where it appears internally consistent and valid as a mathematical construct. Yet, with the failure (so far) of the LHC to find any of the supersymmetry particles predicted by many of the string theory versions, it now seems unlikely that this math actually describes nature, or is in any way an aspect of nature to be "discovered". There are almost certainly other examples of this kind of dead end mathematical invention, but I can't come up with any off the top of my head.

So, I would now agree with your stated view on this issue. New information can lead to new views of the world - often extending to the very fundamentals - even for those of us who may be considered boring, brittle scientistic hardasses by certain apologetically inclined religionists.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."