The Lucy Code

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: The Lucy Code

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Meadowchik wrote:Illegal gravediggers (after the burial had already taken place) would snatch the body, . . . I don't know why I used "gravedigger," which isn't the exact term, I guess.

Oh. In that case, did you mean "grave robber?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

grindael wrote:Joseph had a long time to prepare. And who knows how they did the KJV passages. Smith could simply have told the scribe that the "rock" says that there is an entire chapter of Isaiah here, etc., etc., and they just copied it out of a KJV. We simply don't know. Why memorize it, when he could just tell the scribe that the "rock" says write down such and such chapters of Isaiah... There are all kinds of scenarios that could have went on...

Interesting. What about the apologists claim that Smith didn't own a Bible during the "translation"?

Physics Guy wrote:Mormon apologists like to cite eyewitness accounts of Smith dictating freely without any notes. Smith was hardly under 24-hour hidden camera surveillance, however. Nothing rules out the possibility that he simply took care not to let his notes show when outsiders were looking.

Yes, but like the apologists like to say "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:Illegal gravediggers (after the burial had already taken place) would snatch the body, . . . I don't know why I used "gravedigger," which isn't the exact term, I guess.

Oh. In that case, did you mean "grave robber?"

Honestly, I don't know the correct term. Perhaps grave robber only means merchandise on the corpse and not bodies.

ETA: I think it's actually "bodysnatcher."
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

cadaver obtainers
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

RockSlider wrote:cadaver obtainers

I kept resisting the term bodysnatcher because of the sci-fi reference it evokes for me, but it actually does mean the illicit obtaining of a body for the purpose of medical dissection. This is what I think the video was referring to in relation to cemetery-watching and Dartmouth, although grave-robbing (for the merchandise buried with the dead) might have also been a thing.