The Lucy Code

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Re: The Lucy Code

Post by _Always Changing »

Kishkumen wrote: Good luck with your work!
It is enjoyable, relaxing, and sometimes good for a laugh. No more writing despite great anxiety towards the subject. I may write again, once the Lucy code gains ground. Cut and re-expand. :lol:
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Always Changing wrote:It is enjoyable, relaxing, and sometimes good for a laugh. No more writing despite great anxiety towards the subject. I may write again, once the Lucy code gains ground. Cut and re-expand. :lol:

Please do send me any links or references to other things you have done so I can enjoy reading those things too!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Any word on published sources for the Lucy Code?

I think the video is intriguing enough on its own though, just by virtue of setting down historical context that reminds me that people then were every bit as smart as we are, that nothing occurs in a vacuum, and that there was so much going on, already millennia of stories and histories informing the contemporary narratives.

Elementary, yes, but I appreciated it.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I was on a conference call last year with the author, Jeremy Runnells and a few others and he ran it all by us. I think his theory has a lot going for it, but I too, want to see the book and the evidence.

I know it's coming. I will let you all know where to get it when it becomes available.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Another thought and I wrestled with this after hearing about this last year is that the story we know is so ingrained in us, that it can be difficult to accept new ideas and connections. For that reason, I try to remain open, but seeing the evidence is key. I know this first hand, having my own idea of how Joseph's Spiritual Wife System (along with "sealing" etc.) developed. The first part of it, on Baptism for the Dead, I've published on. I'm working on the rest. I am very, very intrigued by the Dartmouth College connection, (among other things). Looking forward to seeing all the evidence.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

grindael wrote:I was on a conference call last year with the author, Jeremy Runnells and a few others and he ran it all by us. I think his theory has a lot going for it, but I too, want to see the book and the evidence.

I know it's coming. I will let you all know where to get it when it becomes...

grindael wrote:Another thought and I wrestled with this after hearing about this last year is that the story we know is so ingrained in us, that it can be difficult to accept new ideas and connections. For that reason, I try to remain open, but seeing the evidence is key. I know this first hand, having my own idea of how Joseph's Spiritual Wife System (along with "sealing" etc.) developed. The first part of it, on Baptism for the Dead, I've published on. I'm working on the rest. I am very, very intrigued by the Dartmouth College connection, (among other things). Looking forward to seeing all the evidence.

Thank you. It's interesting, I was recently in Edinburgh and I toured underground where gravediggers would hide bodies. It was a very lucrative practice.

Also, I had no idea about the Scottish history and Egypt. So much to learn....
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

When I watched the video last year I wondered if any unbiased historians would be confirming this presentation. I imagine the Mormon Interpreter may have commissioned a hit piece on that Lucy Code idea.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Always Changing wrote:Apparently, they spent a lot of time at Dartmouth researching the angles. Money prevented me from doing so. And access to Lucy's book in its unedited form was another problem for me--even the edited version was destructive to the Book of Mormon. It is obvious to me that Joseph was the front-man for the family "business".

Remember it is an advertising promo for the book.

This would seem to be what you mention lacking.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Joseph-S ... mack+smith

I have not read it so do not know if it clarifies. It being code sounds farfetched but i have read neither this source or the book detailing the proposal.

I was struck by the proposal with a bit of surprise. I am unsure if that is because Joseph alone passes Occams razor or I am discomforted seeing a broader participation in conscious conspiracy. The utube presentation has possible explanation of that , fictional representation of truth.(masonic precedent)
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I am taken aback. His older brother! Relatively ignored by Brodie to focus on Joseph's abilities and emotions. She deals with the problem of Joseph treating as something he believes which he would known to have contained fiction by seeing it as psychological transition. that would be easier to see for one person. For two or three people something else is needed. Masonic myth making as precedence. (!?)

I am not going to jump to a conclusion.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Like I said, there are aspects of this theory that sorely need some evidentiary support. I too, am skeptical about the Masonic connection. I'm intrigued though by the Dartmouth connections and the grave robbing. I'm not sure though, that the Smith's were well off at any time during that period. As for how Joseph dictated the Book of Mormon, he did have a fantastic memory, and this is evidenced by something he told Clayton in 1843, that he could dictate the polygamy "revelation" from memory at any time he chose to. That is quite a claim to make. For those who are rightly skeptical of supernatural claims, like talking donkeys, etc., glowing letters appearing on a stone buried in a hat doesn't fly. Did Joseph write the text, or did he have help? If he did, who was it? Can one really see Joseph Smith Sr. as a writer of a large part of the Book of Mormon, the man who had a serious drinking problem and was blabbing things left and right to his neighbors? Hyrum though, that is intriguing.

Morgan disappeared in Sept. 1826. Joseph didn't even claim to get the plates until the next year and didn't begin to "translate" until well after that. Why write out 116 pages and then feel the need to destroy them over the Morgan Affair/anti Masonry sentiment in June, 1828, when the anti Masonry movement didn't really gain traction until after the elections in the fall of 1828? (The party wasn't formed until Feb. 1828). Did the Smith's know they would gain such widespread support only a few months later, well before the 1828 elections? How much Masonic material was in the 116 pages? How can anyone know that?

I think that there isn't really a need to account for everything and trying to do so puts such a burden of proof on one that it can destroy the whole idea. Did Lucy leave things out because it was a few decades later, or was she a master manipulator that wanted to leave a puzzle for only a few to find in her manuscript? It reminds me of how some view the writings of Nostradamus, that almost anything he wrote can be interpreted a certain way based on later events.