New Light on Gazela/em

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: New Light on Gazela/em

Post by _Kishkumen »

Johannes wrote:I have forgotten what little PIE I ever knew, but let me try to translate back the first sentence of Mosiah 28.13, with the aid of Mallory-Adams and an online grammar:

I will bring forth out of darkness unto light all their secret works and their abominations.

bherso h1eghs nekwtos / h1endo-kwe leukom
olja werga ghighta / h1eti ghalhxra

Obviously, Jareditish would have evolved somewhat from PIE, but we may be reasonably confident that this text approximates to what was spoken (sung?) by the Jaredites. You will notice that it falls naturally into two decasyllabic lines, each of which is divided by a caesura (marked as /). This opens up a tiny window for us into the world of Jareditish poetics.

Holy smokes. I am agog. You have taken this to a whole new level.

Johannes wrote:12 in Biblical discourse symbolises the tribes of Israel, so 24 would presumably stand for the original chosen people in the Old World and the "other sheep" who had migrated to the Americas. Perhaps there were really 23 plates and Alma couldn't resist the symbolism.

Yes, I was thinking along similar lines.

Johannes wrote:I think I've worked out what happened to Mosiah's translation, assuming that he did produce one. He had it destroyed in case his enemies stole it, altered it and then challenged him to translate the same material again.

Now I have to wipe the coffee off of my monitor. Thanks!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

A Jaredite Oracle wrote:
bherso h1eghs nekwtos / h1endo-kwe leukom
olja werga ghighta / h1eti ghalhxra

I'm still reveling in this brilliance, Johannes. You're caesura was a nice touch and must be a real reflection of Jareditish prosody because it clearly is very close to prosody of the earliest Gathas.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

You're both too kind.

The musicality of those lines just rings in the ears, doesn't it? One can imagine only to well listening to them on the steppes of ancient Guatemala, sitting around the campfire as the bees buzzed gently in the distance amid the odour of smouldering elms.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Johannes wrote:The musicality of those lines just rings in the ears, doesn't it? One can imagine only to well listening to them on the steppes of ancient Guatemala, sitting around the campfire as the bees buzzed gently in the distance amid the odour of smouldering elms.

I feel as though I am there this moment.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist