New Light on Gazela/em

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

New Light on Gazela/em

Post by _Symmachus »

The bright sun in the Parowan sky that unfolds a warm glow over its Relief Society sisters has me thinking about light.

And also about darkness, for we live in dark times. In former dispensations, the LORD saw fit in His providence to send light unto the sons of Adam that they might glide above the darkness of their times and become partakers of His light. We may only pray for such grace at time when dark money makes presidents out of shady businessmen who threaten to use the glint of a thousand suns to plunge the sons of Adam into suicidal darkness. I, for one, pray that the LORD soon shine His countenance upon us.

It was the fear of months of darkness in a submarine—probably a metaphor for the darkness of his own soul—that sent Jared's Brother to Jehovah, who asked the preexistent LORD to rub off some of His light by fondling Jared's Brother's rocks. That intimate encounter between Mr. M. Moriancumr and the LORD was in fact the high point of Jaredite civilization, which is defined after that point by no other narrative than that of a headlong decline from light into darkness.

The Jaredites yet remain very dark to us today, not least to scholars working in the exciting but often opaque field of Jaredite Studies. There is a great deal of darkness surrounding the Jaredites, but there is a considerable amount of darkness enshrouding the word "Gazelem." With my little contribution to Jaredite Studies here, I hope to add some further light and knowledge.

About 73 BCE, according to the chapter heading of Alma 37 (see here), the aging prophet and former apostate enjoined it upon his son Helaman to take charge of the prophetic memorabilia in his possession: the archives of the Nephites and the magical objects that accompanied them. A controlling metaphor of his discussion with Helaman is the contrast between lightness and darkness, and his prophetic charge to his son is that he must keep the commandments exactly in his capacity of official historian, lest their civilization decline as the Jaredites' had. It is here where we learn that in the archives were 24 plates containing Jaredite oracles, which Alma quotes from directly:

Moroni (quoting President Alma B. Alma) wrote:Therefore I command you, my son Helaman, that ye be diligent in fulfilling all my words, and that ye be diligent in keeping the commandments of God as they are written. And now, I will speak unto you concerning those twenty-four plates, that ye keep them, that the mysteries and the works of darkness, and their secret works, or the secret works of those people who have been destroyed, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, all their murders, and robbings, and their plunderings, and all their wickedness and abominations, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, and that ye preserve these interpreters. For behold, the Lord saw that his people began to work in darkness, yea, work secret murders and abominations; therefore the Lord said, if they did not repent they should be destroyed from off the face of the earth. And the Lord said: "I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations." And now, my son, these interpreters were prepared that the word of God might be fulfilled, which he spake, saying: "I will bring forth out of darkness unto light all their secret works and their abominations; and except they repent I will destroy them from off the face of the earth; and I will bring to light all their secrets and abominations, unto every nation that shall hereafter possess the land." And now, my son, we see that they did not repent; therefore they have been destroyed, and thus far the word of God has been fulfilled; yea, their secret abominations have been brought out of darkness and made known unto us.

Scholars in Jaredite Studies have wrestled with the meaning and provenance of the word "Gazelem" for over a century (a summary of those findings can be seen here). The crux of the issue has been whether or not "Gazelem" refers to the servant, and is therefore a personal name, or to the stone. A dentist has recently argued that Gazelem was a Jaredite prophet (I hope, by the way, that he will reciprocate my close reading of his study by reading my forthcoming article in the Journal of Amateur Dentistry, "Language, Tooth, and Logic: A Historical-Linguistic Approach to Periodontal Disease"). This is against the grain of tradition going back to Nibley, who argued that the word refers to the stone and has good provenance in Northwest Semitic languages like Hebrew and Aramaic. For both, the root g-z-r is used to construct verbs for cutting and nouns with the idea of separation: Hebrew gāzar, "to cut" and Aramaic gzīrāᵓ, "a hewn stone." And Val Sederholm further connects it with the Egyptian verbal root ḏ-s-r, which likewise contains the notion of cutting of separation is possibly related to Semitic g-z-r. The linguistic evidence therefore suggests that "Gazelem" is not person but rather a stone of some kind, and it has the advantage of the text, which is after all about a magical stone that can reveal evil deeds by extracting them from darkness and bringing them to light before the people.

Surprisingly, the dentist is not concerned with roots, but he is right, however, in pointing out that the Nephites didn't understand much about the Jaredite language. I have argued elsewhere on this board that in fact, the Jaredites spoke an Indo-European language closely related to the very early form of Greek that we see in the Linear B tablets, and to Old Avestan and Vedic Sanskrit, which were roughly contemporaneous languages. The Jaredites, in my view, came from the same wave of immigration that sent Indo-European speakers into Greece, India, and the Iranian plateau. That means, therefore, that a Semitic provenance of the word "Gazelem" is out of the question, and the Aramaic evidence in particular is much too late and therefore useless. There is no reason, as we can infer from the dentist's work, for a Jaredite word to show up here (one reason why he thinks it must be instead a name for a person rather than a thing, which I think is quite sensible).

And yet it is unmistakably Semitic. Recall the second chapter of Daniel (2:27), where Daniel beings to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream by pointing out that none of the magicians or diviners (Aramaic:) could understand the king's dream. The Aramaic word for diviners, gāzrīn, is likewise connected to this root g-z-r, because a diviner was someone who could understand a decree of fate (gzārāᵓ), which are unchangeable because they are as if set in stone (in fact, there is verb gzār meaning "to decree" can be found in the eighth century Sefire texts and forms part of the vocabulary of early parts of Jewish oral law and shows up from the Qumran texts to the Babylonian Talmud; see Q4Tob and BTŠab 15.22.b). And what else at a minimum is a decree but a public revelation? Further, it is this same chapter in Daniel (2:45) where we first hear about the prophecy of the LORD's latter-day Church: "a stone was cut (Aramaic: ᵓiṯgezereṯ ᵓeḇen) out [of the mountain] without hands." The connection between the root g-z-r and stones is so strong, and the accumulation of convergences so compelling, that this cannot be a coincidence, as the apologetic logic goes. This must be Semitic. And by the way, there is no way that Joseph Smith could have known any of this.

Yet Alma is clearly quoting from a Jaredite text, so in other words, we have an unnoticed problem here: how did this Semitic word show up in a Jaredite text?

First, though, we need to be clear on the etymology and the meaning, and no previous commentator has offered a convincing one; they have merely proffered some vague resemblances. Some of you will have noticed that there appears to be a discrepancy between the root g-z-r and the name Gazelem...one has the an "r," the other an "l." Previous commentators have skirted the issue, saying only that the kind of consonants that both "l" and "r" are allows some interchange—they are pronounced in a similar part of the mouth and are what linguists call "homorganic"—and this is true. This is why, for example, native Japanese speakers have a difficult time with "l" sound and treat it as an "r." Assuming that the Nephites didn't speak Japanese, however, I think we can explain this with a relatively straightforward way: Gazelem consists not of one word but of three. The first is the Hebrew gǝzērāh, which I think had lost its final vowel by the the time of Alma due to shifting stress patterns in Nephitish, which I will discuss in a future post. It would thus be gǝzēr. The second element is the preposition l-, common to several Semitic languages, which means "to" or "for." Thus we have already gǝzēr l-. The final element is obviously not the dual ending (as has been ridiculously suggested) but rather the Hebrew word ῾am ("people"). The switch from the vowel -e>-a is not a problem, given the fluidity of vowels in Semitic languages, even within Hebrew itself, but compare to this the alternate spelling of the name, Gazelam. The full result is gǝzēr l-῾am, and the homorganic nature of the consonant cluster -rl- lead to assimilation such that we get something like gǝzēll-῾am, which probably came to be interpreted as a single word through a phenomenon well known to linguists, univerbation. That is why Joseph Smith interpreted it as one word in his translation.

The result means something like "a public revelation to the people." At this point, I call your attention back to the narrative context, where Alma quotes the Jaredite oracle. Note that the oracle is controlled by a series of paradoxes: good/evil, light/dark, open/secret. Note especially how strong the emphasis is on the fact that this stone, this revelatory tool, is not for the private use of a prophet translating a record but is rather meant to serve the end of public knowledge:

And now, I will speak unto you concerning those twenty-four plates, that ye keep them, that the mysteries and the works of darkness, and their secret works, or the secret works of those people who have been destroyed, may be made manifest unto this people (Hebrew:῾am...And the Lord said: "I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations." And now, my son, these interpreters were prepared that the word of God might be fulfilled, which he spake, saying: "I will bring forth out of darkness unto light all their secret works and their abominations; and except they repent I will destroy them from off the face of the earth; and I will bring to light all their secrets and abominations, unto every nation that shall hereafter possess the land."

The etymology I propose 1) accounts for the r/l discrepancy, 2) preserves and confirms the Semitic links of the word, and 3) has the support of the narrative context. What about the final and most difficult problem: how did this Semitic word show up in a Jaredite oracle?

All previous commentators on this topic prior to the humble scholar before you have failed on a microlevel because they have proceeded from the wrong macro-assumptions. Each has treated the word out of its human context. The work at Interpreter has at least shed the light of narrative context on the problem, but it still fails to take account of the fact that we are not only dealing with a language in a text but with a text from a particular social location. In other words, scholars have forgotten that this text, ultimately, was produced through human agency (though obviously under divine inspiration!). But let us recall the social circumstances that gave rise to this text: this was produced in a scribal culture. The narrative context itself is essentially about the transfer of scribal duties, from one scribe to another. Just as the LORD uses men of the dominant profession today—business—to lead His church, so too in antiquity did He draw his leaders the ranks of the professional elite: the scribes.

Everything that we know about the scribal cultures of antiquity explains the problem of a how a Semitic word shows up in a Jaredite text. Scribes spent years of hard laboring mastering the technology of writing, which would have been quite intricate in the case of the Nephites, who were quite conscious of the difficulty of their reformed Egyptian. Add to this, the fact that the native language of a Nephite scribe would have been some admixture of Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Egyptian, and Uto-Aztecan, if we take Brian Stubbs seriously. Most likely, their written language was highly divergent from their written medium (cf. the situation of Arabic today, or that of Latin against the vernaculars of Europe in the Middle Ages, or Sumerian and Standard Babylonian in the Near East in the third and first millennium, respectively, etc.). This would have entailed years of training and apprenticeship from a master scribe, who would have known not only the languages—the Nephite Amtssprache as well as Biblical Hebrew and Jareditish—but also their scripts, including possibly the very unwieldy script used for Demotic Egyptian.

How did one learn these languages though? We know from examples throughout the Near East that apprentice scribes would have bilingual editions of texts at their disposal so that they could compare the language or script they knew with the target language or script. For example, they might have an edition of Gilgamesh in Sumerian and Standard Babylonian. Moreover, they would practice copying from texts (lots of instances of this from Egypt), and we can sometimes see the correcting hand of a teacher in Egyptian and even Greek papyri. We also have annotations of one language superimposed on another for pedagogical purposes: little notes that junior scribes incised (or wrote, as the case may be) to help the remember the meanings of words in the language and script they were trying to learn (an example here is but one of many that shows Old English annotations above Latin words).

We have many such examples of Nephite annotations showing up in the record (senines, cumoms, cureloms, etc.), and the reason why so many of these are untranslated by Joseph Smith is their pedagogical nature eluded him. That is, I submit, what happened with Gazelem as well. A Nephite scribe added a small notation into the text, but as the text was transmitted over the centuries and as the knowledge of Jareditish declined among the Nephite elite (largely due to a collapse of Nephite social institutions in the third and fourth centuries CE), this annotations began to be copied as if it were part of the original text. In other words, Alma never said the Nephitish word "Gazelem" in his recitation of the Jaredite oracle at this point in the text; rather, some scribe wrote the note just above the line to help him remember the meaning of the Jareditish word that Alma had uttered. And because this was a school practice but the Jaredite oracles were not likely a school text (they are holy, after all), we have evidence of this of the decline of Jaredite learning among the Nephite scribal elite as the society drifted into apostasy.

Contrary to all previous commentators on this, there is no profound meaning to unlock behind the word Gazelem. It is mundane scribal practice that, through the ignorance of later scribes, contaminated the ur-text of the Jaredite oracles. It is there in the text because Joseph Smith, in this as in so much else, was unable to tell the difference between the truly profound and the obviously mundane. There is no light to be extracted from the darkness of Joseph Smith's mind.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: New Light on Gazela/em

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Mind blown.......

Is there a chance Interpreter would publish this? :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

A true triumph in Jaredite Studies and Book of Mormon Studies. I think you should submit this to the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies. This is far too advanced for Interpreter.

Dearest consul, you continue to take the banner of Jaredite Studies to ever higher summits of scholarly brilliance. Kudos!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Now, I would like to delve a little deeper into the details of your theory. I hope you don’t mind if I ask a few elementary questions.

So, Gazelem is a notation made in the Nephite language to add clarification to a Jareditish text. Are you proposing that the Jareditish Oracle Alma quoted was preserved in Moroni’s version of the Book of Mormon? So, neither Alma nor Moroni translated this into Nephitish? Or, assuming Moroni did not have the Jareditish prophecy, or transmit it as such, why would one Nephitish notation appear in Nephitish, when the surrounding Nephitish text was translated? Is this earlier notation in an archaic form of a Nephitish?

Also, you say that Joseph Smith did not understand the pedagogical purpose of the notations, so he erroneously kept these notations in the text. It would seem, then, that these notations were different enough from the rest of the text to be left untranslated, perhaps being in an older Nephite dialect.

Perhaps it is my tired old eyes failing me, but for a while it looked to me as though you were showing how well the meaning of Gazelem fits its context, thus being a deliberate device to drive home the point about the importance of making secret things public by revelation.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

My dear Kish, you are generous in your praise, but in truth I am but a humble doorkeeper in the house of Shades, which I prefer any day to mingling with the top brass in the tents of the Interpreter. I welcome this chance to clarify my views and arguments, and I hope that I am able to do so to your satisfaction.

Kishkumen wrote:So, Gazelem is a notation made in the Nephite language to add clarification to a Jareditish text. Are you proposing that the Jareditish Oracle Alma quoted was preserved in Moroni’s version of the Book of Mormon? So, neither Alma nor Moroni translated this into Nephitish? Or, assuming Moroni did not have the Jareditish prophecy, or transmit it as such, why would one Nephitish notation appear in Nephitish, when the surrounding Nephitish text was translated? Is this earlier notation in an archaic form of a Nephitish?

It's a complex of questions with a complex of answers. Let me start by emphasizing the socio-linguistic situation of Nephite society. We know from the work of Nibley and his successors that the earliest wave of immigrants spoke an admixture of Semitic (Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic, perhaps with a bit of Akkadian, just for balance and for the convenience of some apologetic arguments) and Egyptian, and even some Greek (these last two are especially necessary to explain the names like Pahoran and Paanchi and even Helaman on the one hand, and Timothy on the other). We know also that whatever pidgin these Nephite merchants cum sailors cum priests and prophets spoke, it was not intelligible to the Mulekites, who spoke the Hebrew of the court and the landed aristocracy around Jerusalem in the seventh and sixth centuries BCE. Now, we know that almost no trace of this originary Nephitish language survived, and that population pressures from the natives in the New World were so great that no Nephite DNA survived. Presumably, those natives who intermarried with Nephites spoke a language that was little influenced by the original Nephite language, since little to no trace of that Semito-Egyptian-Greek hybrid implied by Nibley et al. survived in the languages of the Americas.

At the same time, though, we know that for some Nephites—the ruling religious elite—preservation of the original dialect they brought from the Middle East was a civilizational and religious imperative (cf. Mosiah 1). And this continued until the end of Nephite civilization around the time of the emperors Honorius and Theodosius II back in the old country. That was at least 1,000 years, a span of time in which we can expect a tremendous amount of linguistic change, at least in the spoken language.

The original dialect would have been preserved not through natural acquisition (that is, through speaking) but through special scribal-prophetic training. It was a purely written language, and by the time of Alma 37, it had probably been centuries since there had been native speakers of the language. And moreover, the mother language that a prophet like Alma spoke and a prophet like Moroni five centuries later would have been mutually unintelligible, though both were Nephitish (a point you hit on and to which I shall return). So, in sum, we are dealing with a society characterized by extreme diglossia: the language Nephites used in normal communication was already a hybrid dialect under extreme pressure from the surrounding native languages to which it gradually gave way as they intermarried. Meanwhile, a small elite spoke Colloquial Nephitish like everyone else but also learned Classical Nephitish, the written language of their holy texts. They also knew the other the scribal languages of Nephite religion: Hebrew (for the Brass Plates) and possibly Egyptian (if we take some Nibley's arguments to their logical conclusions). The common Colloquial Nephitish was subject to no constraints in its interaction with the non-Semitic languages of the natives, whereas Classical Nephitish was subject to an extreme conservatism and thus underwent little change. Over time, that meant the gulf between the two made them virtually unintelligible.

It is true that when the 24 plates containing the Jaredite oracles were discovered by King Limhi's people (Mosiah 8:9), around the time of the Gracchi back in Rome, that they were translated by Mosiah himself (see Mosiah 28:11-13), probably into Colloquial Nephitish. There was already a sense in which this text had been, to put it one way, glossed. We know that this sort of thing happened in Jewish communities back in the old world; the Hebrew scriptures, for instance, were translated into the spoken Aramaic and these targumim (as they are called) were accorded a high status in the Babylonian Talmud. Moreover, Aramaic interpolations found their way into the Hebrew text of the Bible and became, in effect, scriptural (see Jeremiah 10:11). I am sure that the original metal plates must have been copied for dissemination outside of Zarahemla, and it seems reasonable that they were translated. However, we have no record of what happened to these translations, even in the case in question. If we look at Alma 37:21, for example, we see that the original Jaredite plates were transmitted with the rest of the Nephite holy writings:

And now, I will speak unto you concerning those twenty-four plates, that ye keep them, that the mysteries and the works of darkness, and their secret works, or the secret works of those people who have been destroyed, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, all their murders, and robbings, and their plunderings, and all their wickedness and abominations, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, and that ye preserve these interpreters...

There is no mention here of Mosiah's translation, only mention of the 24 plates in Jareditish that were found by Limhi's people. And there is no way that a genuine Prophet like Joseph Smith would have had an inconsistency in his divinely inspired translation or a forgotten detail, so clearly Mosiah's translation of the Jaredite record was not part of the collection. Instead, Alma the Younger is entrusting the original Jaredite oracles to Helaman in this passage. That is important for my argument because it shows that the problem with previous scholarship is a misapprehension of the issue. This text was Jareditish , and whether or not Gazelem refers to a person or a stone, the real problem is how that Semitic word could possibly show up in a Jaredite text. That is the problem that my argument attempts to define and to address.

To try to answer your second line of questions, I think Gazelem is probably Classical Nephitish, not Colloquial, and that it was interpolated as a scribal gloss to aid understanding. I think it might be a bit later at a point when ability to read Jaredite had declined and the need for scribal glosses of difficult words would have been greater, but I need to do more work on Nephite phonology before I can be too sure. It is entirely possible that the scribe had in mind Mosiah's Colloquial Nephitish translation, and perhaps Mosiah had translated the Jareditish word as gǝzēll῾am. But the point I want to make is that it is really hard to separate different stages and registers of Nephitish among the elite, because there was probably always some degree of influence. Nephite scribes probably studded their Classical speech with Colloquialisms, and it's likely too that that their own day-to-day speech would have seemed awfully high-brown to your average Nephite. And of course we can't rule out the possibility of false archaisms in scribal cultural as linguistically rich as that of the Nephite elite. You may be correct about the possibility of archaism then.

In any case, I think if we understand the basic problem—the presence of a Semitic Nephitish word in an archaic Indo-European Jareditish poetic text—then the basic solution I have offered makes more sense than what else is out there because it accounts not only for the historical-linguistic data (all of it, not just some of it, like other commentators) but for the social situations out of which these texts grew and in which they were transmitted. Nor is my solution without precedent. We know, by way of comparison, what a Nephite scribal gloss of Jaredite looks like from Ether 2:3:

And they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee; and thus they did carry with them swarms of bees, and all manner of that which was upon the face of the land, seeds of every kind.

Something similar is happening with Gazelem but in reverse. The particular stone of revelation mentioned in the Jaredite oracle was something specific to a Jaredite context, and thus at some point a Nephite scribe puzzled out its meaning by inscribing into the plates the gloss gǝzēll῾am, a word which he believed was culturally equivalent and which had meaning for him and other Nephite readers, possibly because it had been used in Mosiah's (now lost) translation. In fact, if I am right that this was a time when knowledge of Jareditish had declined, it is possible that he was using Mosiah's translation as a cipher. More work certainly needs to be done in this area.

Also, you say that Joseph Smith did not understand the pedagogical purpose of the notations, so he erroneously kept these notations in the text. It would seem, then, that these notations were different enough from the rest of the text to be left untranslated, perhaps being in an older Nephite dialect.

Because of his own human limitations, Joseph Smith misinterpreted it (perhaps he was distracted by fantasies involving Fanny Alger). I think in his mind, it went something like this: "...[Jaredite word], [Jaredite word] Gazelam [Jaredite word]..." Since all the words around it were Jareditish, he first uncritically treated the whole string as Jareditish, but since Joseph Smith couldn't tell the difference between Jareditish and Classical Nephitish (or Colloquial for that matter), he didn't have the knowledge to know that he should have glossed over, as it were, the Nephite gloss. So, his first translation probably came out as: "I will prepare unto my servant a stone a stone which shall shine forth..." The text thus seemed to say "a stone" twice but with two different words, and that didn't seem right to him or his scribe—to the unphilological, two different words must entail two different meanings. Moreover, he lacked a deep understanding of Nephite religion and thus didn't grasp that it was a certain kind of stone that was meant by the clarifying Nephitish gloss. On a second attempt he misinterpreted the Nephite scribal gloss—Gazelem—as a proper noun. The English syntax at least made sense that way.

I think this also made sense to him personally because it reflected his own experience: he was a person who was using magical stones to read mysterious tongues, and I think the punctuation shows that he at least made sense out of the word Gazelem by imagining it to refer to a person. That instantly invented a person who was much like himself, a person who had anciently used a magical stone to divine dark mysteries. That identification with this accidentally invented person was also why he later used the word as a code-name. In short, his misapprehension conformed to his readerly expectations because it confirmed the perception he had of himself.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

None of this means anything unless you have faith and a testmony. :rolleyes:
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

One of the better works in the field of Jaredite studies this year. I do look forward to your efforts in amateur dentistry.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Congratulations, Symmachus, a real tour de force.

I shall have to take some time to digest this. In the meantime, though, I wonder whether we might not reflect further on a possible Indo-European root for gazelem.

A quick look at Mallory and Adams reveals that scholars have reconstructed the roots *gwes-, "extinguish", and *h1élem, "mountain elm".

I propose that this is a reference to a Jaredite ritual which involved a prophet setting fire to an elm tree and then ritually extinguishing it. It is an established fact that trees were used in prophesying in ancient Mediterranean culture (e.g. the oak oracle of Zeus at Dodona); but, while you know that and I know that, Joseph Smith could not possibly have known it.

ETA: Apparently, elms are often struck by lightning. Perhaps such occurrences were regarded by the Jaredites as messages from Heavenly Father, such that it was impious for anyone other than a priesthood-holder to extinguish the blaze (at the same time as interpreting its meaning).
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Oh, and apparently *krnom is a reconstructible PIE term for "horn", so I think we have an answer to the old curelom/cumom question.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Johannes
I propose that this is a reference to a Jaredite ritual which involved a prophet setting fire to an elm tree and then ritually extinguishing it. It is an established fact that trees were used in prophesying in ancient Mediterranean culture (e.g. the oak oracle of Zeus at Dodona); but, while you know that and I know that, Joseph Smith could not possibly have known it.

Let us not forget that Abraham too had an oracular tree, which could be connected (somehow, the apologists will get creative on this I am sure) to the Book of Abraham, or the Egyptian papyri. There is an article on this I shall have to find and reference.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."