Daniel McClellan is on the right side of the wrong Morg

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Daniel McClellan is on the right side of the wrong Morg

Post by _Sanctorian »

I, for one, proudly and absolutely unapologetically prioritize standing against the oppression and abuse of minorities, women, and the poor. I have relationships with victims of abuse who already feel marginalized and devalued in the Church, and seeing the choir further marginalize them in the interest of celebrating democracy, maintaining tradition, or not appearing partisan has been especially dehumanizing. Donald Trump is a self-described unrepentant sexual predator who has repeatedly asserted intentions to facilitate grotesquely racist, sexist, xenophobic, and generally hateful, violent, and destructive legislation. His elevation to the presidency has already catalyzed a spike in hatred and a scurrying to exploit and protect the mainstreaming and normalization of that hatred. I believe this is the greatest threat to our nation and to its citizens that our generation has ever faced, and I will not participate in its normalization, much less its celebration, in any sense whatsoever. If you are LDS and you’ve made it this far in this post, consider where your priorities are placed, whose wellbeing is most important to you, and how you may have been trying to rationalize things.

https://danielomcclellan.wordpress.com/2016/12/26/the-mormon-tabernacle-choir-the-cognitive-science-of-religion-and-creds/

Kudos to Danny Mac on this one. It’s a fascinating case study on how an organization should weigh the various pros and cons when trying to advertise their product. In this case, the church once again shows it’s more interested in short term publicity (TV time, etc) than doing the right thing (standing up for victims and the oppressed).

It does beg the question, how’s new Mormonism working out for Danny?
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel McClellan is on the right side of the wrong Morg

Post by _Kishkumen »

My respect for Daniel has grown greatly over time.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Can we just say there's something prophetic in this consider the fallout of movement thanks to Weinstein (sorry I don't' give a crap enough to find out how to spell it)? In too many cases members and non alike are proving to be more prophetic than the old guys who proclaim themselves actual prophets.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

First off, let me say how much I agree with Daniel on this issue. The MOTAB never should have participated in any public way with Trump.

I do wonder, if the current movement to name sexual abusers had surfaced just before the election, would we still have the same president today? Today, for the most part, there is a rush to back the accusers and publicly convict the accused, something that did not happen with the accusations against Trump and for some strange reason is still not happening.

Here we are a year down the road from the election and we have our presidential office held by a man demanding adulation and gratitude for having accomplished precisely nothing positive.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

You should see his latest tweet to Lavar Ball. Hoo boy.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:My respect for Daniel has grown greatly over time.

I often disagreed with him but his brilliance and his integrity were never in question, for me at least.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:I often disagreed with him but his brilliance and his integrity were never in question, for me at least.

I wish I had been so clear-eyed as you, Mak. I used to be rather hard on Daniel McClellan in ways that did not reflect well on me. It took MrStak opening my eyes to a different Daniel McClellan to bring me around.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Kishkumen wrote:
Maksutov wrote:I often disagreed with him but his brilliance and his integrity were never in question, for me at least.

I wish I had been so clear-eyed as you, Mak. I used to be rather hard on Daniel McClellan in ways that did not reflect well on me. It took MrStak opening my eyes to a different Daniel McClellan to bring me around.

I agree with you both with one caveat highlighted in this very issue. Daniel is still failing to do the very thing his post is recommending which is, when your organization is using justifications for their position and actions which alienate another portion of your victimized population, you are on the wrong side.

Though Daniel in word and probably in his personal actions is verbally outspoken towards the church on these issues, he still participates and advocates for that organization. It’s like he’s running for a touchdown and he stops at the 99 yard line short of the goal. I see little to no difference in opposing the MOTAB via a blog post and then paying tithing on Sunday.

I think that’s what makes Daniel so maddening to interact with. You can tell his intentions and morals are good and pure, but he still advocates for his religion which doesn’t hold the same standards as Dan holds. It’s a bit of a tragedy really.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Sanctorian wrote:I agree with you both with one caveat highlighted in this very issue. Daniel is still failing to do the very thing his post is recommending which is, when your organization is using justifications for their position and actions which alienate another portion of your victimized population, you are on the wrong side.

Though Daniel in word and probably in his personal actions is verbally outspoken towards the church on these issues, he still participates and advocates for that organization. It’s like he’s running for a touchdown and he stops at the 99 yard line short of the goal. I see little to no difference in opposing the MOTAB via a blog post and then paying tithing on Sunday.

I think that’s what makes Daniel so maddening to interact with. You can tell his intentions and morals are good and pure, but he still advocates for his religion which doesn’t hold the same standards as Dan holds. It’s a bit of a tragedy really.

I assume you know he works for the church, right?

To me, that explains some (not all) of his advocacy.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I do know he works for the church so I give him some slack because of that. If and when he is employed elsewhere, it will be interesting to see how he handles situations like these. Does he firmly stand opposed with deed and action or simply write another blog post?