Why God Exists...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Why God Exists...

Post by _I have a question »

Always Changing wrote:That is what faith is about.

My faith tradition is 2000 years old, with elements going much further back in time. Not unique to me. More than a billion people on Earth adhere to this tradition or something like it. And it apparently works.

On what basis are you assessing that “it works”?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Always Changing
God's nature is infinite.

Any evidence? Yo do know mathematicians have said and philosophers agree, that there really isn't an actual infinity, it's a mind concept, not a literal reality. James Lindsay the Mathematician has destroyed the idea that God's nature is infinite in his very affordable and profoundly argued book "God Plus Infinity = Folly." I would recommend you read it carefully and see the main problem with your assertion. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. For one thing, WHICH infinity? There isn't just one you know. And there ARE different sizes of infinities as well, weirdly enough! In fact there is an infinite amount of them! So which one is God? He literally CANNOT be all of them. Again, I would say read Lindsay for an update on your ribaldly silly claim.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Always Changing
God's nature is infinite.

Any evidence? Yo do know mathematicians have said and philosophers agree, that there really isn't an actual infinity, it's a mind concept, not a literal reality. James Lindsay the Mathematician has destroyed the idea that God's nature is infinite in his very affordable and profoundly argued book "God Plus Infinity = Folly." I would recommend you read it carefully and see the main problem with your assertion. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. For one thing, WHICH infinity? There isn't just one you know. And there ARE different sizes of infinities as well, weirdly enough! In fact there is an infinite amount of them! So which one is God? He literally CANNOT be all of them. Again, I would say read Lindsay for an update on your ribaldly silly claim.
So long as he is not Jeff Lindsay, I am willing. :lol: Mind concept vs literal reality?? OK----
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

No I promise, he is not Jeff Lindsay......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Philo Sofee wrote:https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ad1adde637a7a82e4e354c157b8b4f2564719ae9e8ad4d3f96b7fee2793c3d08.jpg

A rather startling explanation...

Back to your OP, Philo. I think it has received confirmation within this thread. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ad1adde637a7a82e4e354c157b8b4f2564719ae9e8ad4d3f96b7fee2793c3d08.jpg

A rather startling explanation...

Back to your OP, Philo. I think it has received confirmation within this thread. :lol:

Ha! Sharp eye there Mak....
Dr CamNC4Me
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

"God exists" because we are always pursuing something bigger. When an old concept of god gets too small it fades/dies. That doesn't mean that we stop pursuing a bigger concept. For some people, sciences provide enough contemporary distraction to keep the question of Existence at bay. Others cannot ignore or forget the question of their own existence, so they are always pursuing something to answer it. What if this goes on indefinitely? (notice I did not say, "infinitely"). What if our minds are immortal and this life only one of countless "dips" into limited experiences that we call mortality? The pursuit of bigger concepts could literally never end for us. If Existence leads us on forever, never ultimately reaching a final answer, that, to me, would constitute the Existence of "God". We grow, our Joy increases, our current concept of "God" is bigger than it was before. And at some point we realize that "God" is revealing the extent of Existence to which we have arrived. We didn't cause our existence. Our thinking as One that Exists is caused, therefore the Cause is to be sought out.

Of course, we might not be immortal in the individual sense, and our thinking may simply be part of a greater Whole Existence, that pleases to cause individual, limited minds a brief span while physical life endures: then places each into some cosmically huge "collection".

But I prefer the first concept because it is more pleasing to a 'satiable imagination. And my theology tells me that we should always pursue the biggest concepts over the lesser concepts.
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Fun questioning and speculating Uncle Ed. Yeah always pursue the bigger than the smaller. That sounds like our human curiousity. One more thing I am thankful for this Thanksgiving. One you musing "What if our minds are immortal and this life only one of countless "dips" into limited experiences that we call mortality?" I have recently finished Mathey's "The Illusion of God's Presence" (2016), being the most updated views and discoveries of neuroscience. It appears, based on that research that the brain really does produce the mind. So, when the brain dies, the mind goes also. Perhaps we meaning "I" am an emergent property of the arrangement of the brain. The idea has some interesting parallels development going on right now concerning emergent properties of matter, that is, things not in the individual arrangements of atoms and molecules, but do all the sudden pop into existence that may not have been intended. There appears also to be some new research coming out on life itself as an emergent property. Time (also an emergent property of the low entropy of the early universe - Carroll, "The Big Picture") will tell..... :cool:
Dr CamNC4Me