Instructions for single expecting parents

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Instructions for single expecting parents

Post by _Sanctorian »

Single Expectant Parents

Church members who are single and pregnant are encouraged to go to their bishop. By virtue of his priesthood office and calling, he can counsel with them as they make important decisions that affect their own well-being and that of the child. He can also help them begin the process of repentance, where appropriate. Instructions for the bishop are provided in Handbook 1, 17.3.12.

When a man and woman conceive a child outside of marriage, every effort should be made to encourage them to marry. When the probability of a successful marriage is unlikely due to age or other circumstances, the unmarried parents should be encouraged to give prayerful consideration to what would be in the best interests of their child.

Adoption is an unselfish, loving decision that blesses both the birth parents and the child in this life and in eternity.
For unmarried parents wishing to place children for adoption or for married couples who are hoping to adopt, LDS Family Services may be of assistance in identifying reputable, licensed adoption services. Licensed services are designed to protect the interest of the child, screen adoptive couples before placement, and provide needed supervision and counseling.

Birth parents who do not marry should not be counseled to keep the infant as a condition of repentance or out of a sense of obligation to care for one’s own. Additionally, grandparents and other family members should not feel obligated to facilitate parenting by unmarried parents, since the child would not generally be able to receive the blessings of the sealing covenant. Further, unmarried parents are generally unable to provide the stability and the nurturing environment that a married mother and father can provide. Unmarried parents should give prayerful consideration to the best interests of the child and the blessings that can come to an infant who is sealed to a mother and father (see First Presidency letter, June 26, 2002

Why is a bishop allowed to provide amateur counseling and encourage expecting single parents to put their child up for adoption?

Answer - LDS Family Services may be of assistance in identifying reputable, licensed adoption services (for a handsome fee)
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Instructions for single expecting parents

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Additionally, grandparents and other family members should not feel obligated to facilitate parenting by unmarried parents, since the child would not generally be able to receive the blessings of the sealing covenant.

I call Bull crap.

Once again we see that "Families are forever" only applies to Ozzie and Harriet families. Here is proof that the church hates bastards so much that they encourage extend family members to not feel guilty for raising a child to whom they are related simply because the parents are not married.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

When I read the first few lines there..I thought no..It is none of his business. None.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »