DN writer defends Mormonism in The Atlantic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: DN writer defends Mormonism in The Atlantic

Post by _Fence Sitter »

It's moronic to claim that most LDS don't know the differences. Any and all LDS who have been through the temple know right then and there how strange and different their religion is.

The second you get into that absurd temple get up and start pretending you are using super secret passwords and handshakes, you know your religion is radically different.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Fence Sitter wrote:It's moronic to claim that most LDS don't know the differences. Any and all LDS who have been through the temple know right then and there how strange and different their religion is.

The second you get into that absurd temple get up and start pretending you are using super secret passwords and handshakes, you know your religion is radically different.

As I said upthread, I was thinking of Kish's list on another thread:
1. There is an eternal chain of deities.
2. Elohim and Jehovah are two of those deities, and the ones who are, by priesthood authority and family organization, the creators and rulers of this creation.
3. Human beings are of the same species as the gods, and will develop into gods in their own right, continuing the pattern of creation.
4. In this schema, Jesus, the Elder Brother, and most advanced intelligence, was chosen to make the deification of his other siblings possible. In this he was assisted by Michael/Adam who initiated the embodied, mortal existence of the offspring of Elohim so that they could progress to godhood.
5. The atonement and resurrection made physical immortality and spiritual purification possible to turn Elohim's children into gods.
6. Through the priesthood and ordinances of the temple, human beings can attain a status of godhood, i.e. their calling and election made sure, before they die and are resurrected in celestial glory.
7. Those who attain the highest priesthood blessings, i.e. those who are rulers over Israel through the Second Anointing, have the power to extend or withhold the highest blessings of others, essentially becoming little gods on earth.
8. Once resurrected and glorified, certain humans become gods in the fullest sense, create their own worlds, and produce their own spiritual offspring.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47589&start=21

A lot of members aren't familiar, like I said, with the intricacies that underlie the correlated doctrines of the church. If they're not, it's not like they can go out and "flaunt" (the word that was used) their beliefs to the rest of the world (what we were talking about) except to preach/teach the basic correlated doctrines.

Regards,
MG
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Oh my gosh it is just so hard to be a Mormon in America. Non-Mormons need to check their non-Mormon privilege.

A Proponent of Victim Culture wrote:A federal judge told me recently of an Ivy League law professor who sent him a letter of recommendation for a Mormon student, observing that in general Mormons are solid workers but tend to lack “intellectual imagination.” The professor did not know that the judge on the receiving end was himself a Mormon. The same professor sent a similar letter sometime later on behalf of a different Latter-day Saint student. The letter again contained the same caution about the Latter-day Saint’s lack of “intellectual imagination.”

No intellectual imagination, are you kidding? Did you tell them about the tapir, Hal?

I seriously, seriously doubt his claim about the law professor.

Kishkumen wrote:
There are people who go out looking for unpopular churches with stupid beliefs just to be radical. Now THAT I can respect. The runny noses and wet eyes because someone said I have a different Jesus makes me sick. You do have a different Jesus. If you didn’t, what would be the goddamned point? You should say, “My Jesus is different and he’s better than yours.”

I hereby add my "amen" to the chorus.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:Religion should be the most daring form of performance art.

Oral Roberts having his 900 ft Jesus stand at the bottom of the Snake River Gorge to help Oral float from the south rim to the north rim on his souped-up Schwinn 10 speed bicycle.

It would be hard to top that as daring religious performance art unless you went whole hog and created the universe in seven days. Even if that so-called "transterrestrialist" E.T. did a similar bicycle stunt, it wouldn't count because he was an alien and our President is going to build a big wall. The biggest. Believe me, it will be built biggly and its size will be unpresidented.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace