The Zion Bubble

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

The Zion Bubble

Post by _Sanctorian »

On KSL, they are reporting that BYU will be dropping PBS starting next year in favor of BYUtv. https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46184952&nid=148&title=byu-to-drop-pbs-in-2018-focus-on-byutv

The story is not surprising, but the comments do lead to an interesting exchange:

Scott B wrote:Oh yes, when you're living in a society with different norms, it makes complete sense to live in a protective bubble where everyone looks the same, acts the same and have the same point of view on everything...

Loftier-Lore wrote:@Scott B.
This "bubble" as you call it is what many religions refer to as a "Zion" society". We just as well accuse God of living in a bubble, His Zion. The ultimate goal of Christianity to become "one", one with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

As we consider each and everyone's unique contribution diversity is good in many senses of the word, but when we our diversity puts us add odds with God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it really becomes a manifestation of sin and corruption. Embracing diversity in that sense causes us to fall short of being one, one as a people and one with God. The great intercessory prayer (John 17 particularly vs John 17:20) is largely about creating that unity, oneness, Zion, or... bubble as you call it.

I think what the LDS/BYU are doing here is refining their focus and resources on preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Refinement comes in stages and takes time. But I am glad you recognize the direction of practicing Christians as being different. If we want to be on the path towards a society of love and unity, it should be different. It might even look like a bubble.

In Mormonism, you are in fact discouraged from being different. The ultimate goal being to end up exactly like God and Jesus. Though other religions teach we should try and be like Jesus in thought and action, I'm not certain of any other religion outside of Mormonism where this is interpreted so literally. From the white shirt and ties, skin color, who you can and can't love, Mormonism is about stripping away everything unique about you and replacing it with their version of Jesus.

It's a depressing Heaven to think of that all individual thought and diversity is replaced with "oneness".
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: The Zion Bubble

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Jesus wants me to be a robot, to shine for him each day .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Exiled wrote:Jesus wants me to be a robot, to shine for him each day .....

Exactly as I suspect is the reason the Yahoo Bot so choose his moniker.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

sock puppet wrote:

:biggrin: :lol: :biggrin:
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Technically BYU is not the church. I can see the church doing something short sided like this. But not a University. Think about it for a minute. PBS, with their world class educational programming and unbiased news is no longer in alignment with BYU's values? This is just crazy talk.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

What's sad is when some people act like it's a sin to disagree with any decision made anywhere by any church administrators.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

This is one way ghettos are created.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

sock puppet wrote:

Now that is funny...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka