Ex Mormon set to be NZ Prime Minister.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Ex Mormon set to be NZ Prime Minister.

Post by _I have a question »

In last month’s elections in New Zealand, the ruling National Party, headed by Prime Minister Bill English, won only 56 seats.

The Labour Party, headed by Jacinda Ardern, won 46; with their allies in the Green Party, they had a total of 54 seats… so they were still outnumbered.

However, You need 61 for a majority.

So the big question over the past few weeks was which party the 9-member NZ First Party would agree to form a coalition with. It could have gone either way. Late last night, the Party’s leader Winston Peters made his announcement: His people would work with Labour.

That means the 37-year-old Ardern is now on the verge of becoming New Zealand’s next Prime Minister, the third woman ever in the role.

And, as she said in an interview earlier this year, she’s not religious. She actually left the Mormon faith in her 20s due to its anti-gay bigotry and no longer belongs to any organized religion.

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... fewmxiu.99

"For a lot of years, I put it to the back of my mind. I think it was too unsettling. If something like religion is part of your foundation, and then suddenly you start questioning that - it's quite a confronting thing to deal with.

"Even before the Civil Union Bill came up, I lived in a flat with three gay friends and I was still going to church every so often and I just remember thinking 'this is really inconsistent - I'm either doing a disservice to the church or my friends'. Because how could I subscribe to a religion that just didn't account for them?

"It was one of the issues that became a real flashpoint. You drift along a bit, there are always going to be things you can't reconcile, but I could never reconcile what I saw as discrimination in a religion that was otherwise very focused on tolerance and kindness."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11789352

She has moral integrity.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Ex Mormon set to be NZ Prime Minister.

Post by _moksha »

Would New Zealand Mormons actually vote for or support a Labour Party candidate even if Jacinda Ardern had remained a Mormon? I would imagine most of them would be roboticized voters for Conservative Party NZ. No member should have to go through the extreme backbiting that Senator Harry Reid had to endure.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace