Change the law-hide the money!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Change the law-hide the money!

Post by _kairos »

On page 27 of MQ's new book he writes: "due to changes in Utah law , 1992 is the last year for which publicly available records furnished any financial details about the net worth at death of those who had served as GA's." What the hell is that all about? Well it is the perfect cover up. The church had laws passed so that net worth usually found in probate records are not available if the dead person was a general authority. So Quinn could not dig for any GA's net worth after 1992. The cover up is in-some one should be pissed off about that. So Quinn can only guess from 92 to present day. Thus he could not really write anything meaningful about how much ETB or GBH were worth at death.

Anyone want to dig on how that Utah law came to pass?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Change the law-hide the money!

Post by _sock puppet »

If such a law only applies to the probate of estates of just LDS leaders, or even more broadly to any religious leaders, it smells of possible violation of the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or... ."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Does Quinn reference which Utah law changed?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

I have a question wrote:Does Quinn reference which Utah law changed?

Unfortunately no and also Quinn tried to get district courts in provo to search records they had but was told they were too busy even if he paid the required fees- can you spell stonewall!
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

we need some Utah lawyer to help us find that law concerning probate law and the disclosure of financial information at death. help!!!
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

bump-need some investigators in utah to find this darn law about GA's net worth at death is not public knowledge! anyone take up the challenge? free donut to the finder! :wink:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

This makes no sense to me. If there was a change in law, it would be a matter of public record. I'm surprised that Quinn would not provide a citation for such a claim. Also, probate records are generally publicly available. I don't know why he would ask the court to search for him. It all sounds a little off.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I took a quick look through the probate code. The personal representative of an estate has a duty to prepare an inventory of all estate assets and determine their fair market value. He must send it to heirs and creditors who request it. He may file it with the court. I see no special provisions for GA's. I doubt that such a provision would be constitutional.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Res Ipsa wrote:This makes no sense to me. If there was a change in law, it would be a matter of public record. I'm surprised that Quinn would not provide a citation for such a claim. Also, probate records are generally publicly available. I don't know why he would ask the court to search for him. It all sounds a little off.

on the record search- quinn was willing to pay the provbo court staff to search certain records of
GA's that might exist in that court system because they /staff said it was not open to him to search. like you pay the court to get you a notarized copy of your birth certificate- you can't go in the file and get it so you pay say 10 bucks for the staff to search and make a copy. quinn wanted staff to look for records of certain GA's but the staff said they were too busy even if he paid they would not- a little confusing but the point is Quinn could not get access to any probate or probate type records for GA's past 1992. Certainly something caused that to happen.
could you try to get the probate/will or whatever for GBH? could you see if that is publicly available- quinn says no in his book.
thanx for your efforts
k
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Here is how to access Utah court records. https://www.utcourts.gov/records/ If you live in Utah, you go to the district court and use a computer terminal. I don’t know why Quinn would have asked courthouse staff to do the search for him. I could do the search from here (Washington), but I’m too cheap to shell out the $55.00. You would need to know which county the will was probated in.