Emma's heroic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Emma's heroic

Post by _Stem »

There's something to say for sticking to convictions.

I rather enjoyed that Emma eschewed the ridiculous practices of polygamy. The way she totally said "no, we ain't' doing any of that anymore" after Joseph died was pretty cool. I've never been one to get too worked up about someone lying to protect family and one's own skin in some cases. I give Emma a pass on it.

She's great. I think she had the right idea. There was nothing inspiring or good in that revelation that came late in Joseph's life, seemingly. There's no equivalent to an Abraham's test in it. All it brought was problems. There was nothing godly or beautiful with it. The stinking legacy of it lives on in abuse and backward communities they want to put on TV so we all laugh, or cry for the station of those stuck in it.

I think the snufferites are trying to be like Emma. She should be the real hero of their movement.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Emma's heroic

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Emma did what she did to protect her immediate family.

While her lies and silence may have protected her children, they were harmful to the larger community.

Think about it, had Emma been forthcoming about everything to which she was privy, there would be no RLDS church to fall apart 100 years later when they finally decided she lied about polygamy and perhaps there wouldn't even be a SCL version of Mormonism perpetrating the Book of Mormon as actual history.

So while she may have remained true to her family, which I think she did mostly out of a financial interest, in the long run she is responsible for continuing the myth of Joseph Smith as a prophet of God.

Not a heroine in my mind, more of a woman making the best of a bad situation for her family.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Stem wrote:There's something to say for sticking to convictions.

I rather enjoyed that Emma eschewed the ridiculous practices of polygamy. The way she totally said "no, we ain't' doing any of that anymore" after Joseph died was pretty cool. I've never been one to get too worked up about someone lying to protect family and one's own skin in some cases. I give Emma a pass on it.

She's great. I think she had the right idea. There was nothing inspiring or good in that revelation that came late in Joseph's life, seemingly. There's no equivalent to an Abraham's test in it. All it brought was problems. There was nothing godly or beautiful with it. The stinking legacy of it lives on in abuse and backward communities they want to put on TV so we all laugh, or cry for the station of those stuck in it.

I think the snufferites are trying to be like Emma. She should be the real hero of their movement.

Great post, Stem.

I totally agree. Emma has never been given her due.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Stem wrote:There's something to say for sticking to convictions.

Great post, Stem.

I totally agree. Emma has never been given her due.

I agree with both of you. I don't think she was fully given her due either. She was a brave lady, and sacrificed a lot for her husband, her family, and the Church.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB