It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tad Callister- the church ruins its members
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:41 pm 
God

Quote:
In truth, this Church ruins its members for any other church, because, like this missionary, they know too much. If people leave this Church, they will usually end up traveling down one of two paths — either they will become a church unto themselves (because they will never find another church that has more truth than they already have) or they will head down the road of agnosticism. Recognizing this, I asked the missionary, “Are you willing to give up all this doctrine you know to be true, to throw it all away, because you have a few questions you can’t answer.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... nts-169646

Of course, Mr Callister deliberately misses the point that it’s not the members who can’t answer their questions, it’s the church.

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Post subject: Re: Tad Callister- the church ruins its members
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm 
God

Actually, I think Tad Callister is absolutely correct. I think, I THINK, one of the first teachings and fundamental tenants of Mormonism that Joseph Smith taught that attracted so many was that the churches were corrupt and man/women can have a personal relationship with god and that we don't need a middle man. That is the crux of Mormonism. We can all go to god and get answers and revelation. WHAT A WONDERFUL TEACHING! We are all Prophets. And we are all gods! One no longer needs a church when they understand the true nature of the gods. That is the religion I want to belong to.

Of course, that only lasted a couple of years and they ____ it all up. ____ polygamy ruined everything.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:23 pm 
God

Location: Cassius University Hall of Mirrors - Its Symbolic of Something Significant I Just Know it!
cwald wrote:
Actually, I think Tad Callister is absolutely correct. I think, I THINK, one of the first teachings and fundamental tenants of Mormonism that Joseph Smith taught that attracted so many was that the churches were corrupt and man/women can have a personal relationship with god and that we don't need a middle man. That is the crux of Mormonism. We can all go to god and get answers and revelation. WHAT A WONDERFUL TEACHING! We are all Prophets. And we are all gods! One no longer needs a church when they understand the true nature of the gods. That is the religion I want to belong to.

Of course, that only lasted a couple of years and they ____ it all up. ____ polygamy ruined everything.

This is where several of my new philosophy videos on You Tube are taking me now as well. I am pleasantly surprised at the upbeat and overall good reactions to them! I will be putting a lot more of them out there in the up coming months. 5 for this month is pretty decent considering I have so blasted many wonderful chess videos to make as well. :biggrin:

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:48 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
Quote:
In truth, this Church ruins its members for any other church, because, like this missionary, they know too much. If people leave this Church, they will usually end up traveling down one of two paths — either they will become a church unto themselves (because they will never find another church that has more truth than they already have) or they will head down the road of agnosticism. Recognizing this, I asked the missionary, “Are you willing to give up all this doctrine you know to be true, to throw it all away, because you have a few questions you can’t answer.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... nts-169646

Of course, Mr Callister deliberately misses the point that it’s not the members who can’t answer their questions, it’s the church.

Yeah, the LDS church is a cult with mental abuse like gaslighting, however it’s also like a dysfunctional family that “members” feel attached to despite figuring out the dysfunction. Mother Teresa said, “the worst kind of poverty is loneliness.” The cult provides a sense of belonging and significance - in feeling needed - which is not easy to find. I mean, the cult provides instant friends and family - even if they’re conditional and may backstab as they're taught to worship the cult above all - even above family.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:24 pm 
God

cwald wrote:

I agree with most of this too. Just not the essential point, haha, that other religions are ruined by it. I think Mormons ____ up some really beautiful potential, especially with polygamy.

Yet I think that there can be churches that have more spiritual maturity and edification (non authoritarian, less magical thinking...) And if that's the kinda thing that floats yer boat, then religion might still work for you.