LDS Financial Accounts for year ending 2016 (GB)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

LDS Financial Accounts for year ending 2016 (GB)

Post by _I have a question »

Some highlights.
- 1,503 convert baptisms.
- Spending exceeded income by £6 million.
- Tithing increased from £30.7 million in 2015 to £31.1 million in 2016 (total donations remained static at £34.7 million).
- £11 million was spent on staff costs.
- £311,000 was spent on Youth Conferences.
- £86,000 was spent on humanitarian aid (at the end of 2016 there was a balance of £2.5 million sat in the humanitarian aid fund).

These accounts can be found using:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk

Enter “The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints” in the search box and take it from there.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Financial Accounts for year ending 2016 (GB)

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

The UK population grew by more than 1/2 a million (513,300, 335,000 immigrants and increase in births 171,100. births minus deaths) in 2016. The UK's total population is est. 65 million.

That means the church grew by 0.87 percent as compared to births and 0.29 % in total population growth.

Pentecostal seem to have the biggest increases. https://faithsurvey.co.uk/index.html
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Only 86,000 for humanitarian aid while spending over 300,000 for middle class kids' vacationing?

at least the focus is on the future. Saving a couple million means when disaster hits there's something there. Or we can hope the church comes through
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

We know the UK takes in a large muslim refugee population- does the lds church try to convert muslims or is that sect off-limits? i can't see a large number of converts even if they were OK to prosleytze them.
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

kairos wrote:We know the UK takes in a large muslim refugee population- does the LDS church try to convert muslims or is that sect off-limits? i can't see a large number of converts even if they were OK to prosleytze them.

That's a good question. France's Muslim population is even more significant, as a percentage, I think.

In Germany in the mid 1990s, we were forbidden from teaching Lebanese, Syrians, Iranians, Iraqis, and Israelis (the latter because of an agreement with Israel in order to build the Jerusalem Center). Turks were okay. At times, this meant not teaching people with interest. It was all about safety (other than the Israel policy). In my last city, we had a really good convert (strong belief, good German, actively attended) who was high up in the government of Kurdistan. I used to tease him by saying I couldn't see Kurdistan on any map . . . :smile: He received visitors all the time, and often would put his pictures and scriptures away and tell us that the people coming up to his apartment "are what you would call terrorists." He told us that they could never learn that he had been baptized, or we, he, and his family back at home would be dead. These "terrorists" did have a very bad vibe about them.

How was he baptized? The sister missionaries mistook "Kurdistan" for "Afghanistan" (which might now be on the no-teach list). I'm glad he was, though.

My wife and I met my last companion for lunch last summer, and in reminiscing with him, didn't remember that taking him to see him was the first thing he did on his mission. One of the terrorist visits happened then, and he thought, "What in the world is going on here?" He told me that he later disappeared.

Even though Turkey is much more liberal as Muslim countries go, we also had a businessman who had been baptized in Germany and who attended church and paid tithing when he was there on business. No one, in Turkey, including his wife, knew he had been baptized.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I have a question wrote:Some highlights.
- 1,503 convert baptisms.
- Spending exceeded income by £6 million.
- Tithing increased from £30.7 million in 2015 to £31.1 million in 2016 (total donations remained static at £34.7 million).
- £11 million was spent on staff costs.
- £311,000 was spent on Youth Conferences.
- £86,000 was spent on humanitarian aid (at the end of 2016 there was a balance of £2.5 million sat in the humanitarian aid fund).

These accounts can be found using:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk

Enter “The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints” in the search box and take it from there.

curious if Fast Offering donations are lumped in with humanitarian aid or if it is a separate number. 86,000 represents just .0024 of all donations made in the UK...certainly nothing to be proud of
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

Craig Paxton wrote:curious if Fast Offering donations are lumped in with humanitarian aid or if it is a separate number. 86,000 represents just .0024 of all donations made in the UK...certainly nothing to be proud of

I highly doubt it. 86,000 (or the FO share of 86,000) for an entire year? The Church is also pretty well-established in Great Britain, comparatively.

Granted, my ward is in the southwestern U.S., but we have $30,000 of fast offering donations per year (give or take).
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

moinmoin wrote:
I highly doubt it. 86,000 (or the FO share of 86,000) for an entire year? The Church is also pretty well-established in Great Britain, comparatively.

Granted, my ward is in the southwestern U.S., but we have $30,000 of fast offering donations per year (give or take).

I do have to admit though, fast offerings have made me dubious after having some knowledge where some of it has gone in the wards I"ve been in, and after having seen the Mormon Leakswhere tens of thousands were spent to help the joneses keep apace.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Stem wrote:
moinmoin wrote:

I do have to admit though, fast offerings have made me dubious after having some knowledge where some of it has gone in the wards I"ve been in, and after having seen the Mormon Leakswhere tens of thousands were spent to help the joneses keep apace.

Fast Offering expenditure was separate - £1.38 million.

The most disconcerting aspect of the humanitarian aid funds was that the Church was sat on more £2 million at the start of the year and didn’t use it at all (save £0.086 m) during 2017.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')