Alpha & Omega: A Book of Mormon anachronistic blooper

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Alpha & Omega: A Book of Mormon anachronistic blooper

Post by _Shulem »

JLHPROF wrote:
I did. You on the other hand have given no evidence that Joseph found greek, roman, french, or any other language on the plates other than the language of the Nephites.
His inclusion of those words in the English version is because those words exist in english usage, whether literally or as idioms.

Your argument seems to be non-existent.

You've presented no logical evidence or reason for why the GREEK and ROMAN names and terms should be found in the English story when so many other non-English words are found throughout the Book of Mormon in an effort to make it look authentically Nephite. I've demonstrated how those words do NOT belong in the English version but that Smith used them anyway because he was stupid.

Timothy and Jonas are Greek names. They don't belong in the Book of Mormon any more than African or Chinese names.

Can you process that in your pea-sized brain?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Shulem wrote:Hey, how many senines do you have in your pocket, fool?

The Nephites used dollars and American change. Was Joseph Smith drunk when he made up the word "senine" instead of using farthing like in the Bible where Timothy and Jonas lived?

:lol:
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

There is 0 evidence that any names in any languages were upon the plates. There is 0 evidence for the Nephite language.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

SteelHead wrote:There is 0 evidence that any names in any languages were upon the plates.

Exactly!

:smile:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I'm not done slamming the Alpha & Omega in the Book of Mormon and those apologists who defend it without a just cause.

Apologists insist that God through his Spirit and gift of translation inspired Joseph Smith to use the words ALPHA & OMEGA because that supposedly was the best fit and it matches the biblical record in which it is supposed to compliment. The apologists are scared to death to even consider the idea that the simple fact that Joseph Smith included GREEK words in his novel point to something out of place and out of step with the manner in which the Book of Mormon presents itself in trying to look authentically Nephite wherein the novel contains a vast amount of names and words that are completely foreign to the English language. The apologist is scared to death to even consider the implications of why God didn't simply inspire Joseph Smith to produce genuine Nephite words to compliment the Nephite writing system. That would be consistent. The Nephites had a monetary system for money and weights such as: Onti, Senine, Senum, Shiblum, ect.

Mormon Jesus was careful not to mention FARTHING when he appeared to the Nephites but used the genuine Nephite word SENINE to represent the value he intended. So why not do the same for ALPHA & OMEGA? Can't the apologists simply admit that something is off? Can't they just admit that consistency has taken a back seat and that foreign Nephite words failed to roll of the tongue of Joseph Smith when he was translating the First and the Last letters/words of the Nephite language?

Why are apologists such cowards?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Get your lazy ass out of the terrestrial forum and go down to the telestial forum and learn how Joseph Smith stole the following phrases from a contemporary source:

1. One Eternal Now
2. One Eternal Round

Joseph Smith stole the One Eternal Now
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Shulem wrote:
Joseph Smith - Times and Seasons, Vol.4, No.13 wrote:There was no Greek or Latin upon the plates from which I, through the grace of the Lord, translated the Book of Mormon.

But, contrary to Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon does infact contain Greek which was unknown to the Nephites:

Mormon Jesus - 3 Nephi 9:18 wrote:I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

Alpha = First letter of the Greek alphabet
Omega = Last letter of the Greek alphabet

So, why did Mormon Jesus speak in the unknown Greek thereafter being etched in gold when clearly Joseph Smith said there was no Greek on the plates?

Jesus was reading the label off the bottom of the diner plates Nephi & co brought with the from Jerusalem.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Mormon Jesus - 3 Nephi 9:18 wrote:I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

Alpha = First letter of the Greek alphabet
Omega = Last letter of the Greek alphabet

I think Jesus made a bold statement when he did not declare himself to be a Tri-Delta. Let's see you quibble about that, Paul!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Shulem wrote:Mormon Jesus and Joe Smith forgot the alphabets but they didn't forget the money. It figures.

Bible wrote:Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing

Book of Mormon wrote:Verily, verily, I say unto thee, thou shalt by no means come out thence until thou hast paid the uttermost senine

That cite is hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

What makes it all even more convoluted is that the KJV "farthing" is a translation of the Greek, and the Greek word that is rendered as "farthing" is itself a transliteration, into Greek, of the Latin word "quadrans" (a small Roman coin).

The Greek text of Jesus's sermons is presumably itself a translation of the Aramaic oral original. I don't know whether Jesus would actually have said "quadrans" in an Aramaic accent or whether the Greekified "quadrans" was a translation of some totally different Aramaic coin name. None of this makes it easier to see why, in a sermon that Jesus presumably delivered in Nephitic Hebrew, "senine" should have been the one word which was transliterated, when all the rest of the Nephitic oral version is rendered word-for-word as the King James English translation of the Greek translation of the Aramaic oral version.

The KJV translators probably transliterated "Alpha and Omega" because the exact translation as "A and Z" just sounded childish. In fact "Alpha and Omega" probably sounded just that childish to Revelation's original readership. "Omega" is the name of the last letter in the Greek alphabet but it literally just means "big o". Whoever actually dreamed or hallucinated Revelation cannot have been a fluent speaker of Greek, because the Greek text is full of basic language mistakes, so one wonders what words in the original vision got translated as "Alpha and Omega".