It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can the LDS Church successfully loosen its grip?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 pm 
The Outcast

Overcome by a friend's relentless requests, I attended a Universal Unitarian Church service some months back. I liked how loosey-goosey the preaching was. Some wouldn't call it preaching, but it was Sunday, it was church services and someone was talking.

What the friend explained was appealing to her was that the UUC's approach allowed was a great degree of latitude in differing beliefs. I've heard off and on over the past 20 years that the LDS Church has tried to be a bigger tent organization, embrace more, even those who do not fit the cookie-cutter mold of a TBM. But I see evidence of retrenchment, such as the insidious policies of November 5, 2015. The "Apostle class" of 1984 queued up to take the reigns: Nelson, then Oaks. A couple of hardliners.

The hardline is appealing to a shrinking slice of the population with each passing generation that began with the Baby Boomers.

So to stem the tide, can the LDS Church take that hard left turn and soften its teachings and widen its net? or is it too rutted in its old ways?

It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017

Post subject: Re: Can the LDS Church successfully loosen its grip?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:55 pm 
God

I would like to see the LDS Church become more accepting. I think that as long as the Quorum of the 12 consists of elderly white men, it is going to be difficult to see the Church policies pass that will allow this to happen. I think that if the Church broadens its priesthood leadership to include more younger members, and minorities, and that includes women, then the Church has a chance to evolve in a more positive direction.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

Post subject: Re: Can the LDS Church successfully loosen its grip?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm 
First Presidency

I think it needs to go to the left in order to appeal to the younger generations. However, that would mean loosening the reigns on the money and providing a better disclosure of the finances. Perhaps there is too much nepotism and poor decision making (e.g. too many decisions that look like humans are running this) for the church to disclose where the money goes specifically? In any event, my vote is that the church stays the authoritarian course. I think there is more money per capita in having a church that appeals to right wingers. I think they tend to contribute more to silly organizations as long as someone is pretending to speak for god.