It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 am 
God

Exiled wrote:
They want to feel you out like they did with dehlin. Someone from above told the new stake president to have a chat with you and return and report. That's what I think is going on. So, please record it and ask if someone from headquarters has an interest in your podcast. Ask if that someone or the stake president will be interviewed. You could say you want to cover the disaffection issue with someone with a really strong testimony. He won't agree but the recording of him squirming would be priceless.

You know they probably read this site .....

This is all certainly possible.

I just have a hard time thinking that little old Radio Free Mormon has anywhere near the kind of reach or impact of John Dehlin.

The downloads are a tiny fraction of what Dehlin hauls in.

Difficult to believe I have come to the attention of anybody up the food chain.

Many questions will get answered tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 am 
God

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
consig, is your daughter back from her mission?

Yes, she is, and now attending Southern Virginia University.

We had an interesting conversation the day she got back from her mission.

I was going to write about it here but never had the time.

Maybe later if anybody is interested.

Hope you are well!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am 
God

kamenraider wrote:
I wouldn't assume that it will be adversarial at all. He might just feel like he should meet you after hearing about you. I've been "called in" to talk to the stake president before. I always try to be as cheerful and cooperative as possible. It always seems to go over good. I like to eliminate potential enemies by making them my friends. I've had guys in the stake presidency and on the high council who knew and liked me, tell the stake president that I was okay and to leave me alone, on more than one occasion. I wish you well!

This is what I am thinking right now.

I am going to try to make this guy my friend.

I, like Joseph Smith, have a native cheery temperament!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am 
God

____ yeah we're interested

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am 
God

canpakes wrote:
Consig, to help set the appropriate tone, you should walk in with two coffees.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
____ yeah we're interested

It is a bit involved, and the reason I didn't write about it before wasn't the time issue, actually.

It was because much of what was said hinged on the fact that her mother and I are getting divorced, which she found out about on her mission.

But now that I have already outed that fact in this thread, I should be able to write about it with little difficulty.

Give me some time?

A little jammed right now with other things.

Maybe if I type really fast . . .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 am 
God

consiglieri wrote:
It is a bit involved, and the reason I didn't write about it before wasn't the time issue, actually.

It was because much of what was said hinged on the fact that her mother and I are getting divorced, which she found out about on her mission.

But now that I have already outed that fact in this thread, I should be able to write about it with little difficulty.

Give me some time?

A little jammed right now with other things.

Maybe if I type really fast . . .

When it rains, it pours. I'm sorry to hear about the divorce and I look forward to hearing about your daughter's experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 am 
God

RockSlider wrote:

When it rains, it pours. I'm sorry to hear about the divorce and I look forward to hearing about your daughter's experience.

Thanks, Rock.

Actually, this part isn't the rain.

This is the sun coming out.

After a very long and dark night.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am 
God

My friend, the second councilor, just wrote this back to me in response to my request for more information:

Quote:
Excellent - glad tomorrow will work. I will plan on being there. I will be in my suit/tie as that’s part of the gig now for me :).

So as Pres. Flake has worked to get to know the stake and aspects he doesn’t know, various topics have come up dealing with wards, concerns, etc.. A lot of this has been driven by simply trying to get our heads around our current responsibilities and ensuring that we are not ruining things already.

When (your daughter) returned home from her mission, your family came up as Pres. Flake was going to release her (he ended up being out of town so Pres. _____ released her). Obviously that was soon after the time that you and (your wife) were separating. I knew about it peripherally through (your home teacher) until I reached out to you directly and we communicated. Pres. Flake had been informed of the situation from Bishop _____ who obviously had/has been working with (your wife), so I was grateful to get your perspective and shared with Pres. Flake that this was a difficult situation with multiple sides to the story. I shared some of the history/context of our friendship and some of the challenging situations we’ve been involved with (i.e., (a third party's) divorce which obviously required just a little bit more historical discussion, way back when we did that presentation/booklet to tackle difficult questions for the youth, etc. ).

Pres. Flake also knew you had been published in various places (even before I mentioned that; maybe someone else talked to him about that), and I believe read some of the things you’ve written (I am not sure what). While I haven’t read everything you’ve ever written, I have read a fair amount. I think you’re probably aware that to some members of our ward, at least, some of the things you have written/said are quite shocking and/or overly critical. I do think you’ve been critical of the bureaucracy of the church, its culture, some of the leadership. Honestly, and you know this, I agree with some of your criticisms, don’t agree with others, and find some of the doctrinal gems you’ve shared with me over the years quite inspiring. While many of the things we’ve discussed, and some of the things you’ve shared, have strengthened my faith, I’m sure you can see that there are probably others who could have the opposite reaction to some of the things you’ve written/said/etc..

As an aside, I always tend to take Joseph Smith’s view related to this statement: “Our heavenly Father is more liberal in His views, and boundless in His mercies and goodness, than we are ready to believe or receive.” So I probably view things with a pretty expansive/open mindset.

I want to reiterate that this request by Pres. Flake is not an inquisition, there is no hidden agenda, and I know that Pres. Flake really just wants to get to know you.

He wrote this to me when I asked him to confirm the purpose of our meeting (to make sure I was accurately representing things to you):

> I have no other agenda than to get to know him and understand where he
> is coming from

I hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am 
God

consiglieri wrote:
My friend, the second councilor, just wrote this back to me in response to my request for more information:

Quote:
Excellent - glad tomorrow will work. I will plan on being there. I will be in my suit/tie as that’s part of the gig now for me :).

So as Pres. Flake has worked to get to know the stake and aspects he doesn’t know, various topics have come up dealing with wards, concerns, etc.. A lot of this has been driven by simply trying to get our heads around our current responsibilities and ensuring that we are not ruining things already.

When (your daughter) returned home from her mission, your family came up as Pres. Flake was going to release her (he ended up being out of town so Pres. _____ released her). Obviously that was soon after the time that you and (your wife) were separating. I knew about it peripherally through (your home teacher) until I reached out to you directly and we communicated. Pres. Flake had been informed of the situation from Bishop _____ who obviously had/has been working with (your wife), so I was grateful to get your perspective and shared with Pres. Flake that this was a difficult situation with multiple sides to the story. I shared some of the history/context of our friendship and some of the challenging situations we’ve been involved with (i.e., (a third party's) divorce which obviously required just a little bit more historical discussion, way back when we did that presentation/booklet to tackle difficult questions for the youth, etc. ).

Pres. Flake also knew you had been published in various places (even before I mentioned that; maybe someone else talked to him about that), and I believe read some of the things you’ve written (I am not sure what). While I haven’t read everything you’ve ever written, I have read a fair amount. I think you’re probably aware that to some members of our ward, at least, some of the things you have written/said are quite shocking and/or overly critical. I do think you’ve been critical of the bureaucracy of the church, its culture, some of the leadership. Honestly, and you know this, I agree with some of your criticisms, don’t agree with others, and find some of the doctrinal gems you’ve shared with me over the years quite inspiring. While many of the things we’ve discussed, and some of the things you’ve shared, have strengthened my faith, I’m sure you can see that there are probably others who could have the opposite reaction to some of the things you’ve written/said/etc..

As an aside, I always tend to take Joseph Smith’s view related to this statement: “Our heavenly Father is more liberal in His views, and boundless in His mercies and goodness, than we are ready to believe or receive.” So I probably view things with a pretty expansive/open mindset.

I want to reiterate that this request by Pres. Flake is not an inquisition, there is no hidden agenda, and I know that Pres. Flake really just wants to get to know you.

He wrote this to me when I asked him to confirm the purpose of our meeting (to make sure I was accurately representing things to you):

> is coming from

I hope this is helpful.

It’s always startling to see just how involved in the intimacy of your life Church leaders feel entitled to be. I just don’t see any upside for you that’s worth investing any time in meeting the guy. Unless you genuinely see him as an authority figure who’s entitled to ask you personal questions.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 am 
God

The stake president and your friend can claim there is no hidden agenda all they want, but unless they are calling all adult male priesthood members in "to get to know where they coming from", there is an agenda.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
The stake president and your friend can claim there is no hidden agenda all they want, but unless they are calling all adult male priesthood members in "to get to know where they coming from", there is an agenda.

Yup.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 am 
God

Would like to get to know you but also notes you've been producing stuff that could be viewed as faith destroying (even though it is factual). The witch hunt has already commenced, they just want to see your attitude/call you to repentance before launching an inquiry. This is just a test to see how subservient you are to the stake president's supposed authority.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

Last edited by SteelHead on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 am 
God

Crap.

"I have no other agenda than to get to know him and understand where he is coming from"

Friend or foe?

Be prepared to answer the following:

1 Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

2 Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

3 Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

4 Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

5 Do you live the law of chastity?

6 Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

7 Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

8 Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

9 Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

10 Are you a full-tithe payer?

11 Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?

12 Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

13 If you have previously received your temple endowment:

Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?

Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

14 Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

15 Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 am 
God

So, are you still going to go?

They sucked you in via your 'friend'. You are under his authority and judgement now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:01 am 
God

RockSlider wrote:
So, are you still going to go?

They sucked you in via your 'friend'. You are under his authority and judgement now!

Just like Abinadi was under the authority and judgment of Noah, baby!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am 
God

consiglieri wrote:
Just like Abinadi was under the authority and judgment of Noah, baby!

____, that means yes. I hate where this is going.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 am 
God

consiglieri wrote:

Quote:

> is coming from

I hope this is helpful.

Sorry...but you asked for opinions and I'm calling bull ____ on this claim of no agenda. Of course they have an agenda and its disingenuous to state otherwise. I would fine tune your antenna and be prepared to sense any violation of your personally set boundaries...and if you sense that the stake president is over stepping what you feel is appropriate and comfortable...then push back...and restate that what he is asking or probing is none of his business. These men feel they have the right to ask any question, delve and probe into any detail of your personal life and it is up to you to protect your boundaries. Every question he asks has an ulterior motive behind the question...but I'm sure you know all of this already

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 am 
God

I suppose you could just succinctly tell that stake president the biggest "sin" you've committed is taking the Church at its word. By taking it seriously, that in of itself is the very the thing that has led you out-but-in and made it so obvious that it's all a crock of ____.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am 
God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

but he love you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am 
God

I have to agree with Craig.

This statement:
Quote:
....think you’re probably aware that to some members of our ward, at least, some of the things you have written/said are quite shocking and/or overly critical. I do think you’ve been critical of the bureaucracy of the church, its culture, some of the leadership.

does not agree with this statement:
Quote:
....not an inquisition, there is no hidden agenda, and I know that Pres. Flake really just wants to get to know you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next