It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 pm 
Deacon

I wouldn't assume that it will be adversarial at all. He might just feel like he should meet you after hearing about you. I've been "called in" to talk to the stake president before. I always try to be as cheerful and cooperative as possible. It always seems to go over good. I like to eliminate potential enemies by making them my friends. I've had guys in the stake presidency and on the high council who knew and liked me, tell the stake president that I was okay and to leave me alone, on more than one occasion. I wish you well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 pm 
the very elect

kamenraider wrote:
I wouldn't assume that it will be adversarial at all. He might just feel like he should meet you after hearing about you. I've been "called in" to talk to the stake president before. I always try to be as cheerful and cooperative as possible. It always seems to go over good. I like to eliminate potential enemies by making them my friends. I've had guys in the stake presidency and on the high council who knew and liked me, tell the stake president that I was okay and to leave me alone, on more than one occasion. I wish you well!

I had to threaten a new bishop.

He knew of my disenchantment but called me in to let me know, he was responsible for the salvation of my kids and then wife.

I told him to stay away from my children and wife or I would fill his office with doubters.

That was the last conversation I ever had with a bishop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:04 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
He can literally reach out to you or come to you. This odd power play where you have to go into his office is odd, especially considering you two are adults.

Anyway. If you decide you want to meet with him offer to do so while hiking or over a meal. He's not your employer. He's not your dad. He has no authority other than what you decide to give him. Make him the equal or subordinate he really is.

- Doc

QFT. Great post.

Seconded.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 pm 
Charlatan

consiglieri wrote:
I got an email from a friend who happens to have been made second counselor in the newly organized stake presidency.

My friend said the stake president wants to meet with me tomorrow night at 7:30.

Here is what the email said:

Quote:
Consiglieri,

Sorry for my long delayed response! I apologize for not having reached out at all last couple months. Hope things are going well for you. I’ve caught a couple of your Radio Free Mormon podcasts! I have to say I had the same reaction you did to Pres. Nelson’s story in April 2017 conference re: the Laurel who didn’t participate in a HS state competition so she could attend/participate in a stake RS meeting.

We have a new stake president, who’s a great guy. He’d like a chance to meet you and asked me to reach out to see if you have availability either this Thursday (9/14) at 7:30 pm or this Sunday (9/17) at 3:00 pm. He and I have spoken about some happenings in the stake, and he’s hoping to expand his understanding about a variety of things.

Let me know if one of those times works and I’ll confirm with him.

Thanks,

Thoughts?

I read through the thread...and i just have to ask...why are you still LDS and why are you even entertaining this? This is a sincere honest question, I just don't get it, even though I did the same thing for a while...why hang on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 am 
Sunbeam

Markk wrote:
I read through the thread...and i just have to ask...why are you still LDS and why are you even entertaining this? This is a sincere honest question, I just don't get it, even though I did the same thing for a while...why hang on?

I have the same question.

And for those saying "dodge the Stake President, kick the can down the road," what does that even accomplish? What's the point?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 am 
God

Consig, to help set the appropriate tone, you should walk in with two coffees.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 am 
God

canpakes wrote:

:lol: :lol: And a nice iced tea, maybe, in case there are levels of WoW compliance based on temperature. I recommend the Starbucks hibiscus, with a shot of lemonade, over ice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
canpakes wrote:

:lol: :lol: And a nice iced tea, maybe, in case there are levels of WoW compliance based on temperature. I recommend the Starbucks hibiscus, with a shot of lemonade, over ice.

Why stop there? I'd make it a Long Island Iced Tea. :lol:

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:07 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
canpakes wrote:

Runtu wrote:
Why stop there? I'd make it a Long Island Iced Tea. :lol:

Now you're talking! Works for me. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:

In truth, I've only ever had a sip of a Long Island Iced Tea once several years ago, as I'm not much of a drinker. But it would start the discussion off on a better note than going to a stake president's office and talking across a desk.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

In truth, I've only ever had a sip of a Long Island Iced Tea once several years ago, as I'm not much of a drinker. But it would start the discussion off on a better note than going to a stake president's office and talking across a desk.

Certainly. I never got called into meetings like that, closest I ever got was seeing my bishop while I was at BYU. Even that was starting to feel really intrusive, so I can only imagine how receiving such a request as the OP described must feel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:52 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Certainly. I never got called into meetings like that, closest I ever got was seeing my bishop while I was at BYU. Even that was starting to feel really intrusive, so I can only imagine how receiving such a request as the OP described must feel.

I've had a few calls like that, some going better than others. When we arrived in Virginia 4 years ago, my wife asked me to go to church with her the first week. I didn't think it was a big deal. By that afternoon, the high priests group leader had invited us to go out to dinner, at which time he asked me to teach a priesthood lesson so I could "share my testimony." I briefly explained where I was church-wise, and he let the matter drop. Since then, he's periodically contacted me and said he'd like to "continue our friendship" (I've met him only a couple times in 4 years), but I'm not averse to having dinner. He's a nice guy. But he never has followed up on it. The last time I heard from him was in January, when he called to ask me to meet with him alone for lunch on a Saturday. Having had some bad experiences in the past, I said I'd meet with him, but I wanted to know the purpose of the meeting first. He said he'd been reading a priesthood lesson about reactivation and had felt prompted that I was ready to come back. I thanked him for his concern but explained I had no interest in going back, that getting out had been so painful that I would rather not put myself through any of that again. He said he understood, but still wanted us to have dinner with him and his wife. Again, nothing since that phone call.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 am 
God

Viriatu wrote:
Markk wrote:

And for those saying "dodge the Stake President, kick the can down the road," what does that even accomplish? What's the point?

kicking the can down the road allows consig to continue to do what he does without threats/confrontation and possibly jeopardizing what he thinks he should be doing, eg podcasts.

like if he were robbing banks why meet with the police, just keep bringing in the cash.

once the stake president meets with consig, for better or worse , consig has a target on his back and then consig has to worry about when they will shoot the arrow.

now some would believe meeting with stake president is cool like shaking hands with the president and it makes one feel good that he/she has the attention of someone who matters- do not make this an ego thing- if you do consig you will not be happy with the outcome.
now if you want to be another jeremy rennells? then go for it- but as others have stated what is your mission, your end game what is it you truly want regard the Mormon church? answer that and perhaps the you will easily answer whether you and the stake president should meet.

just advisi :confused: n

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 am 
God

consiglieri wrote:
I got an email from a friend who happens to have been made second counselor in the newly organized stake presidency.

My friend said the stake president wants to meet with me tomorrow night at 7:30.

Here is what the email said:

Thoughts?
One good answer you could give them is to say to them that you don't really need to talk to them as long as you have someone as smart as me to talk to online! :lol:

http://zerinus.blogspot.co.uk
http://amazon.com/author/bijhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 am 
God

Sweet, the big day!

stake president: "Consig, have you considered resigning, I could help you with the paperwork?"

We should start a bingo like, or drinking game on the various historical things that have been said/done in these meetings. Here are some of my guesses:

1. We should meet once a month for the next while.
2. You need to take down some or all of those podcasts.
3. Have you considered resigning?
4. I love what you are doing, could you please do a rotating 5th sunday between all the wards in the state and teach us more about it?

Oh wait, perhaps not number 4.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 am 
God

zerinus wrote:
One good answer you could give them is to say to them that you don't really need to talk to them as long as you have someone as smart as me to talk to online! :lol:

You once bragged that you were even smarter than the General Authorities. That's quite a claim and a bit arrogant too.

Do you remember how to properly spell the name of the church? It's with a capital "T", always.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

I've had a few calls like that, some going better than others. When we arrived in Virginia 4 years ago, my wife asked me to go to church with her the first week. I didn't think it was a big deal. By that afternoon, the high priests group leader had invited us to go out to dinner, at which time he asked me to teach a priesthood lesson so I could "share my testimony." I briefly explained where I was church-wise, and he let the matter drop. Since then, he's periodically contacted me and said he'd like to "continue our friendship" (I've met him only a couple times in 4 years), but I'm not averse to having dinner. He's a nice guy. But he never has followed up on it. The last time I heard from him was in January, when he called to ask me to meet with him alone for lunch on a Saturday. Having had some bad experiences in the past, I said I'd meet with him, but I wanted to know the purpose of the meeting first. He said he'd been reading a priesthood lesson about reactivation and had felt prompted that I was ready to come back. I thanked him for his concern but explained I had no interest in going back, that getting out had been so painful that I would rather not put myself through any of that again. He said he understood, but still wanted us to have dinner with him and his wife. Again, nothing since that phone call.

This reminds me of a new bishop who was called in my wife's ward. Soon after being called as bishop he reached out to me...told me that he had recently seen me at a local high school foot ball game and that the spirit™ had told him to reach out to me...that he knew we were going to become best friends and that he loved me...in a churchy kind of way. I thanked him for his bizarre call, told him I was very happy, that my life as presently constituted was amazing and that if his friendship was dependent on my returning to church I was not interested...but I did invite him to join me at the local pub anytime he so desired...that was over 5 years ago and I never heard back from him again.

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am 
God

Viriatu wrote:
Markk wrote:

Because some of us, like Consig and myself, have immediate family still fully invested in the church. I do not accept any claim the church has as an authority over myself any more than I accept claims by other religions than I am going to hell because I am a Mormon. They are both meaningless. With how some of my family feels about the church, why should I resign a membership that is meaningless to me while at the same time important to them?

Oh and I also think you are conflating how Consiglieri feels about the Salt Lake City based businesslike organization calling itself a church with how he feels about Mormonism itself. The majority of his issues are with the former, while he still admires and is very interested about the latter.

"Joseph's book is a great deal more useful to a student of the intellectual preoccupations and the folkways of New York State in the third decade of the nineteenth century than to a scholar who would reconstruct the pre-Columbian history of America."
Dale Morgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 am 
God

Gadianton wrote:
Consig,

Your only chance is to go in there as a missionary for the content of your blog, which you stand behind 100%. You are there to teach, not to be taught. Think of it as a sales call and do what you can to turn any distractions back to your content. You have to have supreme belief and confidence in your podcast content. A good stake president or bishop can smell a guilty conscious a mile away. You don't have "questions", people with questions are in guilt territory; you my friend, have "answers", and those are found in your podcast. If you exude enough confidence, he may invite you to the High Council no matter how apostate he thinks you are.

I see Craig actually nailed it in his experience.

I really like this idea, Gad!

If this is about my podcast, and it quite likely is, I am definitely going to take your advice on this!

Thanks so much!

I also want to say how wonderful it is that I can get so much support in this from my friends on this board.

I really appreciate each and every one of you!

Love,

Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:37 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:

Since we're sharing fantasies, here's mine...

Consig goes in and it starts to get a little um, pushy, and then he...starts quoting us.

stake president: Blah, Blah, intrusive stuff, Blah.

C: "You know Rock said he was so excited for me to come today and now I can see why"!

stake president: Blah, Blah, more intrusive stuff, Blah.

C: "Oh yes, Craig says that's a concern."

stake president: Blah, Blah, shines the lightbulb in your eyes, Blah.

C: "Well, since you brought it up, I have the same concern that Shulem has about the Book of Abraham, so let me run this by you okay..."

Until finally...

stake president: Who ARE these people?

C: "Why, they're my friends of course. :rolleyes: I've known them for years. Btw, if you want to meet again I'd love for Jersey Girl to come. She's an investigator. She would have actually come today but she's out of state at the moment. "

;-)

Brilliant!

LMAO!

And not a bad idea, either.

Those that be with us are more than those that be against us!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
I admire, respect, and feel great affection for consiglieri. And I ultimately don't see how he remains LDS. The continuation of his membership is contingent on the following factors:

1) How much patience he has with the LDS Church
2) How well his podcast is known to the "Committee"
3) How much effort they have put into figuring out his message

I really don't like the LDS Church. Yeah, there are many nice Mormons. Great people. But the heart of the beast is obedience to the priesthood, period. Not Jesus. Not the love of Christ. Not charity. Obedience.

That's not enough for me to hold onto. I can't imagine it being enough for consiglieri. But that is the price of entry. Your temple blessings are, in the minds of the leaders, contingent on obedience to the priesthood.

I wish you well, consig. I consider you my brother. No matter what happens, or what you decide about it. Hopefully, this is nothing.

Thanks so much, Reverend!

And glad to hear from you after the hurricane!

I am glad I have the podcast about numerology in the Book of Mormon up.

Now I have something to point to if my bona fides are questioned.

I know that podcast was confusing to some on this board.

I expect the stake president may be even more confused. :cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next