Stake President Wants to Talk with Me

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Re: Stake President Wants to Talk with Me

Post by _kairos »

Maybe covered but i could not get through all the replies- but the SP is now or will shortly converse with your wife because she is behind all this- and i don't know why that is important or not important to you-do you???

you are hardly and apostate!

you could be the SP counselling others!

i really don't know what at the core you want- can you summarize it in a couple of words for us.

thanx and the best!

k
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Gadianton wrote:Anyway, it's thoroughly refreshing to get such a detailed account illustrating how things really are. When the materials critical of the Church come up, you just see this ingrained cultural construct manifesting itself: we don't talk about these things. And there's an impenetrable aura of seriousness surrounding the mutual understanding of how certain things ought not to be discussed. I could imagine myself being there and left in a stupor of thought, not knowing how to get through that wall, even as an apostate for so many years. I can humorously imagine one of these straggling members that seem to come out of nowhere like zerinus, who truly doesn't get it, being at the meeting and objecting to your stake president: "We can read anything we want! Let's read that paper from Ritner right now. I'm not afraid of what it says!"

I got the sense your stake president is a good guy and just trapped in the culture like everyone else. I also think his level of belief ticked down just slightly, after your meeting. And I agree with others who said the material driving factor of the meeting was alleged apostasy by one or more persons who have listened to your podcast. If you ever would like a fake letter testifying that your podcast brought a member back into full fellowship, let me know and I'll write one.

Thanks for putting your finger on one of the interesting dynamics going on in the room.

The SP read something I wrote about Adam-God. No questions about it.

I mention Ritner's article about "all the problems" with the Book of Abraham. No questions about it.

I mention John Welch helping me shepherd a paper through to publication in BYU-Studies over substantial opposition in the directorial board because of its "controversial nature." No questions about it.

Those aware of the issues in Mormonism but who will nevertheless remain TBM have to have mechanisms to avoid dealing with the issues.

One of those issues is just to not think about it; and God forbid talk about it.

They knew I knew. I suspect they knew. We are in a closed room with three people who know.

But they don't want to talk about it.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Your SP is part of CES, right? So, it has to be an incredible mountain to climb for him to admit any weaknesses in the church. His paycheck literally depends on belief in the unbelievable. I frankly can sympathize with him. Nevertheless, it is still false as the day is long. Maybe this guy needs to get to know Grant Palmer?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen