Prophets to Guide Us

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Prophets to Guide Us

Post by _Shulem »

grindael wrote:
... whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”

And that is why the Mormon God is Adam. Adam said so to Brigham Young. :biggrin:

"The first recorded explanation of the doctrine using the term "Adam–God" was by Young, who first taught the doctrine at the church's spring general conference on April 9, 1852. This sermon was recorded stenographically by George D. Watt, Young's private secretary"

Brigham Young wrote:When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%E2%80%93God_doctrine
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

But what do I say? Shake off the faith and chains of Jesus Christ! Shake them off and remove the fetters of Christ who binds you down and makes you feel guilty of your so-called sins unless you fall down and grovel before him shedding endless tears of personal torment.

That sounds like something Satan would say.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

zerinus wrote:
consiglieri wrote:It is a strange conclusion to a message that mentions nine prophets (ten if we include the author), lists the main things learned from them, and doesn't mention even a hint of revelation anywhere.

I think this article does a good job of illustrating the strange state of Mormonism--being a church that trumpets continuing revelation through its prophets, but doesn't have any specifics to mention.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
I think I have answered this once before. If you don't believe the revelations the Church has already received, what makes you think you are going to believe any new ones? and what difference would it make to you if they did? You are not going to believe it anyway; so what difference would it make to you?

It's not relevant to the fact they are not providing any supposed revelations to the world or LDS church which does have some believers in it.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

zerinus wrote:
The Soap Maker wrote:LDS church leadership = god. I was confused as to why so many members worship the leaders, but now I know.
<Dumb comment>

Fixed it for you. You’re welcome.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

mentalgymnast wrote:
And how should things work?

Thus saith Fetchface:

Fetchface 1:1-12

Go for it...

Regards,
MG

Taking one issue as an example, the prophet would be able to come up with a coherent explanation for the notes to Facsimile 3. They wouldn't have to produce an essay whose best explanation redefines words in common usage.

Unfortunately for the prophet, Facsimile 3 is a smoking gun of obvious fraud so that is the best he can do. If God really is behind that logical mess, he owes you an apology, MG. The truth shouldn't be so hidden under signs of obvious fraud. It was not nice of him to hide it there.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The Soap Maker wrote:
LDS church leadership = god. I was confused as to why so many members worship the leaders, but now I know.

It's the Church of Joseph Smith. The church and its leaders are worshiped in the flesh, Jesus as a token mantra to maintain the pretense that it's a Christian movement. :wink: You know, like Scientology pretending it's a church/religion when it all comes down to the worship of L. Ron and his present stooges.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

fetchface wrote:Taking one issue as an example, the prophet would be able to come up with a coherent explanation for the notes to Facsimile 3. They wouldn't have to produce an essay whose best explanation redefines words in common usage.

Unfortunately for the prophet, Facsimile 3 is a smoking gun of obvious fraud so that is the best he can do. If God really is behind that logical mess, he owes you an apology, MG. The truth shouldn't be so hidden under signs of obvious fraud. It was not nice of him to hide it there.

To my knowledge, no President of the church has made a comment about the controversies of the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. Not a word!. The prophets of Mormonism dare not touch it with a 10 foot pole. They know anything they say will go on record and be written in stone, more especially, if they say anything authoritatively to suggest further revelation in understanding the strange anomaly and obvious contradiction it will forever haunt them. The Mormon prophets dare not say a word. They have left that to scholars to say pretty much what they want but the church membership is left hanging on anything intelligent to come out of the mouth of the cowardly prophets. Mormon prophets don't get revelations about the false revelations of Mormonism. That much is clear. Crickets chirp.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Shulem wrote:To my knowledge, no President of the church has made a comment about the controversies of the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. Not a word!.

The closest we have come in recent history is Holland hemming and hawing to John Sweeney. He basically just cops to knowing nothing about how it could possibly work.

He has to. Because there is no possible rational explanation that favors the truth claims of the church. If you are on the side of truth, you should not run into such situations.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

fetchface wrote:
Shulem wrote:To my knowledge, no President of the church has made a comment about the controversies of the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. Not a word!.

The closest we have come in recent history is Holland hemming and hawing to John Sweeney. He basically just cops to knowing nothing about how it could possibly work.

He has to. Because there is no possible rational explanation that favors the truth claims of the church. If you are on the side of truth, you should not run into such situations.

Indeed, elder Holland confessed that he does not understand the vehicle by which Joseph Smith translated. He's in the dark on that one. He was adamant to the effect that he knows no Egyptian and seem to suggest he never will know Egyptian and therefore cannot help the cause.

The prophets, seers, and revelators are DODOs. Every Single one of them. The Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 are a total embarrassment to the church and the apostles of Mormonism are clueless on how to address this sad tale of misery and woe. This controversy is not ever going to go away as it continues to haunt them and remind them that something really is rotten in Mormonism.